Sunderland

Richard

15 minutes ago, penguin said:

There is a huge disparity in sentencing between men and women for the same crimes, not something you ever hear mentioned though.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

It gets shouted down by certain sections of society, because they deliberately misinterpret any mention of said disparity as being somehow supportive of the guilty male in the case of the former, when it's nothing of the sort.  You're right, but it's a brave man brings it up on t'internet.  Especially within the scope of a case like the Johnson one.

I think Johnson got what he deserved.  But in the case of that teacher it's hard to say the same thing for her.

Out of curiosity, is there any study of this in any numbers?

Is the a reputable statistic showing a pattern of similar offences being given different sentences? I don't mean one selected newspaper story compared with one other selected newspaper story. I mean, like, proper data analysis.

I don't know, and I'm not arguing a position. I'm just interested if the huge disparity is real, or one of those things that gets repeated.

I might be naive here, but I suspect there will not be enough female cases to build a decent comparison.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Out of curiosity, is there any study of this in any numbers?

Is the a reputable statistic showing a pattern of similar offences being given different sentences? I don't mean one selected newspaper story compared with one other selected newspaper story. I mean, like, proper data analysis.

I don't know, and I'm not arguing a position. I'm just interested if the huge disparity is real, or one of those things that gets repeated.

I might be naive here, but I suspect there will not be enough female cases to build a decent comparison.

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

"If you're a criminal defendant, it may help—a lot—to be a woman. At least, that's what Prof. Sonja Starr's research on federal criminal cases suggests. Prof. Starr's recent paper, "Estimating Gender Disparities in Federal Criminal Cases," looks closely at a large dataset of federal cases, and reveals some significant findings. After controlling for the arrest offense, criminal history, and other prior characteristics, "men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do," and "[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted." This gender gap is about six times as large as the racial disparity that Prof. Starr found in another recent paper."

• Like 1

Not sure why other than a morbid curiosity someone would bother spending any time watching someone shag or get shagged by an animal. That being said, I also wasn't aware it was an arrestable offence. Be careful out there peeps!

On 3/31/2016 at 11:00, choffer said:

Emmanuel Eboue getting his contract terminated from the looks of twitter. Banned by FIFA for a year for apparently not paying his agent.

I'm not sure why this necessitates a ban from FIFA, surely it's a matter for the courts.

• 4 weeks later...

Went up to Newcastle for a stag do this weekend, was going back on the train so had a few ours to kill so was pleasantly surprised that Sunderland-Arsenal was on general sale so went to that, not a bad game for a 0-0.

Anyway what surprised me looking through their programme was how good actually their crowds are. I know there's loads said about the crowds Newcastle get but think there's something to be said about Sunderland.

Of their 16 games, they've only had two gates below 40k, those two were 39k v Swansea (Swansea brought 400) and 39k v Palace on a Tuesday night.

Their away support is very good aswell, took 2k to Palace on a Monday night.

I know there's little to do up there (my god is Sunderland town centre a bleak place, makes Chernobyl look appealling) but they've barely won more home games than we have in last 5 years, even this season they've won 4 to our 2 games yet comfortably pulling in many more fans.

• Like 1

Â