Sunderland

Richard

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The counter-argument to that is if we had appointed him the minute Advocaat left Sunderland - which was what several people on here were calling for - we'd probably have been close enough in January to justify spending money.

Good point.  I think you're probably right.  In the end they decided not to invest in what to them seemed a hopeless case (attempted Kalinic deal notwithstanding).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the bloke that ran my Sunday league team would have got more out of our squad than Garde has .. but I know that's not a point we are ever going to agree on

was the Garde experiment doomed to failure the moment he didn't get his trusted lieutenants though ?

I also don't agree that RG is getting the most out of our squad. We are definitely underachieving. Of course we're still not very good. But a better coach would be doing better I'm certain.

22 hours ago, Genie said:

It was utter madness for Villa not to move for big Sam earlier this year.

Local

Available

Experienced

Still can't fathom it.

Only issue was we still had Sherwood when Sam was looking to come back. We fired Sherwood less than 2 weeks after Sam was appointed. If we were just a bit more proactive with our approach in finding a replacement for Tim, or sacking Tim a couple matches earlier, Sam would have been available. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

We needed a new manager long before we appointed one (at which point SA was jobless).

Sherwood was still in situ when Sunderland appointed him. If you mean that Sherwood should have been out of job long before Sunderland appointed Allardyce, then I'd agree.

Although I'd also add that we should never have needed to end up with Allardyce, as at the time we should have appointed a proper manager, Allardyce still had four months left on his West Ham contract ;)

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The counter-argument to that is if we had appointed him the minute Advocaat left Sunderland - which was what several people on here were calling for - we'd probably have been close enough in January to justify spending money.

maybe but I dont think he or any manager could tighten up a defence that had Lescott, Richards, Hutton in the back 4, plus they had Defoe and the scumbag up top who are better than Gestede and Gabby. Organisation is something we were told Remi would be good at ;) 

The problem the club face (and her by extension) seems to be that they initially didn't fire him because it's "innocent until proven guilty" which ostensibly is fair enough, but now it seems they knew he was guilty of the actions all along, in so far as they knew what he had done and who he had done it to (because he told them at the time).  This is regardless of how he was going to plead in the trial, and it also makes it ring very hollow that they were surprised with his guilty plea.  Seemingly the club basically knew that he had abused a minor from very soon after it had happened and they were going to have to justify their (in)actions in how they dealt with it from that point.  A head had to roll.  Namely the head who knew all along that they were continuing to pay and utilise a child abuser.

• Like 4

Exactly Bri, I very much doubt the decision to allow him to play on was hers and hers alone

the whole club should be very, very ashamed at how they handled this, I guess they think her resignation will placate those questioning them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Exactly Bri, I very much doubt the decision to allow him to play on was hers and hers alone

the whole club should be very, very ashamed at how they handled this, I guess they think her resignation will placate those questioning them

It probably will in fairness, because the head honcho has fallen on her sword.  That's usually what the mob demands, so they're getting it out of the way early.  Probably the cleverest thing they've done in quite a while.

Adam Johnson's sister has launched a "justice for Johnson" campaign, and I'm assuming she doesn't mean chopping his nob off.

Imagine having a nonce for a son, and a nonce sympathiser for a daughter.

It seems Sunderland put their survival above their morals and may well be rewarded with staying up as a result. Surely some sort of points deduction needs to be considered as for me the decision made looks to have been blatantly based on self preservation?  How about 3 points deducted, automatic relegation or something in between those two?       

You'd never prove anything, for a start did they even break any rules? They may have broke what will be deemed a moral obligation but any actual rules? I'd be surprised, then add to that the innocent until proven guilty stance, you'd do well to hit them with anything

Sunderland and the sponsors going after the money paid him might be interesting depending on what occurred around the time of him being charged

• Like 1

Not so much this season, more last season I think.

I'm pretty sure this whole story started just before we went up there and won 4-0. Johnson was suspended by the club and then magically after that result it got lifted and he played a decent part in them staying up.

Dated 18th March 2015:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31940379

Sunderland's Adam Johnson has returned to training after the club lifted his suspension following his arrest.

The 27-year-old England international had been suspended by the club after he was arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl.

The club held talks with the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) and Johnson's representatives after his police bail was extended.

He will be available to play for new manager Dick Advocaat this weekend.

"We recognise that the player is entitled to re-commence his duties with the club while the legal process continues. He will therefore return to training," a club statement said.

"The club's own investigation cannot continue until the conclusion of the legal process."

Sunderland, who appointed Advocaat on Tuesday after sacking Gus Poyet the previous day, travel to West Ham United in the Premier League on Saturday.

Former Manchester City winger Johnson was arrested on 2 March and questioned at a police station close to his County Durham home.

He was immediately suspended by the club and has not played for Sunderland since.

Speaking after Johnson's arrest, Poyet described the day as one of the most difficult in his career.

Johnson is due to report back to police at 10:00 GMT on Thursday, 23 April while the investigation continues.

A Durham police spokesperson said: "Sunderland AFC informed us this morning of their decision, which of course is a matter entirely for the club.

"The police investigation remains very much live and ongoing and a man remains on bail while enquiries continue."

He hadn't been charged at that point according to the article.

My question is would the girl have pressed charges if he wasn't a high profile footballer. I know what he did was wrong but he's going to go to prison for at least 5 years, yet lots of girls of 15 are having sex with boys of legal age. Whats the difference? 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

My question is would the girl have pressed charges if he wasn't a high profile footballer. I know what he did was wrong but he's going to go to prison for at least 5 years, yet lots of girls of 15 are having sex with boys of legal age. Whats the difference? 

There are trials for adult men who sleep with underage girls but you just don't hear about them if the person doesn't have a high profile.  

However, I think it if is a case of one teenager of legal age sleeping with an underage teenager of a similar age then those cases don't seem to get perused.  

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

The difference is that he is a high-profile footballer. He was her favorite player for her favorite club, which puts him in a pretty clearly defined position of influence, influence which he used to manipulate her. Even if she was starstruck, as the adult in the situation the responsibility for ensuring nothing untoward happened was clearly his.

Also, it's not like this is a 15 year old girl sleeping with a 17 year old boy. Convicted pedophile Adam Johnson is 28 years old, which is plenty old enough to know better.

Would the police have pressed charges if Jimmy Saville wasn't a DJ and tv presenter? It doesn't matter, because he was a paedophile.

not a paedophile as much as I am aware as she wasn't prepubescent, he did however use his influence to groom her, regardless of what other 15 year olds are doing, which frankly is a ridiculous argument.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â