Sunderland

Richard

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Going back to the Sunderland team, Allardyce has done a decent job IMO.

Should have gone for him as the Villa manager. 

Funny because nearly everyone on here desperately did not want him and said he would be a terrible appointment. I would have taken him. He at least has done well in the championship. 

24 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Funny because nearly everyone on here desperately did not want him and said he would be a terrible appointment. I would have taken him. He at least has done well in the championship. 

If I remember correctly people were actually ok with the idea but the problem was he had a few months left at his West Ham contract so nobody really saw it happening. I know a few were certainly saying they would've laughed it a few years back but would've been ok had he been appointed.

• Like 1

It's clearly two out of Sunderland, Newcastle and Norwich to come down with us, and it seems most likely Sunderland survive for me. 

They just have a bit more depth, a bit more quality, and a better manager. We'll see I guess. 

21 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I've always been a fan of Big Sam. I'm positive he would have got more than Garde out of the team

He always talks very highly of Villa, I'm certain he'd take the job if offered 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'd bet that we made an initial approach and then got scared off by his wage demands. Classic short sighted Villa.

Then went for the 'cheaper' option of RG...

We only approached Garde. We have a lot of French speaking players, Garde is French. That's as in depth as our managerial search ever got!

Yep, Allardyce is a safe pair of hands. He generally gets his teams to mid table safety when given time, which we would be over the moon with now.

It makes it even worse when in recent weeks he has spoken so well about the club. He was/is EXACTLY what we needed and heads should role in the recruitment team for failing to being him in.

To be fair, i don't particularly think Allardyce would have gotten more with our squad than garde would have. I think our squad is just completely shit.

But I bet if we'd had Allardyce in the Summer we'd be in a much better position now.

• Like 1

I think he'd have made us slightly better at the back but probably not enough to change anything, I do think he would be more outspoken, I don't think the likes of Richards would be sat here on the Monday morning simply not giving a ****, I think Sam would at least try and make him accountable

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I'd bet that we made an initial approach and then got scared off by his wage demands. Classic short sighted Villa.

Then went for the 'cheaper' option of RG...

Isn't it a lot more likely that he was already managing Sunderland by the time we were looking for a new manager?

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Isn't it a lot more likely that he was already managing Sunderland by the time we were looking for a new manager?

We needed a new manager long before we appointed one (at which point SA was jobless).

I dont think Allardyce would have had much impact here, he has made 4 good signings in January(which he wouldnt be allowed here) which have helped make them better but before that they looked awful. He hasnt even made Sunderland more solid as Match of the Day said they havent kept a clean sheet in nearly 20 games

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Allardyce would have had much impact here, he has made 4 good signings in January(which he wouldnt be allowed here) which have helped make them better but before that they looked awful. He hasnt even made Sunderland more solid as Match of the Day said they havent kept a clean sheet in nearly 20 games

Exactly this. Sunderland may still go down, but Allardyce has benefited from being able to sign players like Khazri, as well as actually having a goalscorer in the team.

The counter-argument to that is if we had appointed him the minute Advocaat left Sunderland - which was what several people on here were calling for - we'd probably have been close enough in January to justify spending money.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

i don't particularly think Allardyce would have gotten more with our squad than garde would have

I think the bloke that ran my Sunday league team would have got more out of our squad than Garde has .. but I know that's not a point we are ever going to agree on

was the Garde experiment doomed to failure the moment he didn't get his trusted lieutenants though ?

• Like 1

Â