Richard

Sunderland

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What is minimum sentence he will receive? Hope they throw the book at him

LOL - read the last 2 or 3 posts.

TLDR; 4-10 years, most likely serving 2/3 years.

So Sunderland release a statement saying they had no idea what Johnson had done and would deny everything, hends lifting the suspension allowing him to play, the police have today said they told Sunderland over 12 months ago what they were charging him with and the nature of the messages Johnson had been sending.

19 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Has to be an investigation. They were playing a criminal. 

They should be relegated on their own. Its the only possible punishment.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What is minimum sentence he will receive? Hope they throw the book at him

Should sentence him to the next series of The Jump.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Has to be an investigation. They were playing a criminal. 

He only became a criminal once he admitted his guilt. 

Though it seems pretty clear that Sunderland were aware, I'm not sure how you prove it . From they're point of view, allegations were made, he denied them. 

I'd be staggered if Sunderland were punished. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35721975 

" The chief executive of Sunderland Football Club was told about Adam Johnson's sexual activity with a 15-year-old fan more than a year ago, police have said. "

Could Sunderland be in a spot of bother here? 

Legally no.  Johnson was innocent until proven guilty.   Morally and from a PR point of view then yeah, they've upset a lot of people. It might cost them a sponsorship deal or two but I'd imagine besides that the club will come out of it relatively unscathed. 

On 3/2/2016 at 19:40, Genie said:

5 year sentence, out in 2... playing football again in 3.

Didn't actually realise he was 28...thought he was still in the 24/25 range.

He'll probably be out around 30/31 so not sure clubs would be bothered employing him again at that age.

horrible attitude from the club, FA should set an example and relegate them for being scum 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

horrible attitude from the club, FA should set an example and relegate them for being scum 

Those morally upstanding folks at the Premier League and FA will get right on that.....

Don't get me wrong he's a better player but chef evans suggests to me he won't get another contract anywhere, the £3m he's happily stockpiled also suggests he won't need to

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Don't get me wrong he's a better player but chef evans suggests to me he won't get another contract anywhere, the £3m he's happily stockpiled also suggests he won't need to

You would be surprised, he doesn't seem to the brightest chap.

For all we know he has been living to his limits all this time, mortgaged up to the hilt safe in the knowledge he has 6+ years left on his career...

12 hours ago, av1 said:

He only became a criminal once he admitted his guilt. 

Though it seems pretty clear that Sunderland were aware, I'm not sure how you prove it . From they're point of view, allegations were made, he denied them. 

It sets a rather worrying precedent though if the police saying "he's done this thing" is grounds for dismissal.

They sacked him as soon as he entered his guilty plea, it's hard to see at which point prior to that they should have done it.

• Like 2

Innocent until proven guilty.

Doesn't matter if it 'looked' bad,  he was innocent until the moment he pleaded guilty.

• Like 2

I agree that he was legally innocent until proven guilty but they didn't just not sack him. They lifted a suspension.

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Innocent until proven guilty.

Doesn't matter if it 'looked' bad,  he was innocent until the moment he pleaded guilty.

That's not the issue here, when Johnson was arrested, he was suspended and that suspension was later lifted based on that "innocent until proven guilty" argument

the issue is Sunderland are saying they lifted that suspension based on innocent until proven guilty when them police showed them more than enough proof to show what he had done.

• Like 1

Going back to the Sunderland team, Allardyce has done a decent job IMO.

Should have gone for him as the Villa manager. 

Â