Sunderland

Richard

It's not as if Di Canio came in proclaiming he was a fascist when he got the Sunderland job. The only people who mentioned it were the media.

Well people are interested, not least the fans of Sunderland, so that makes it the media's job to find out on their behalf.

So if we all suddenly became interested in Lambert's political beliefs it would be the local media's job to hound Lambert about them at press conferences?

If Lambert does something that brings shame on Aston Villa then I would expect the media to ask him about it at a press conference, yes.

Not sure why old Paolo needs defending from the big bad media. All they did was ask him some questions about his dodgy past behavior. 

Di Canio hasn't done anything to shame Sunderland (yet) though.

As I said in another thread, I have no love for Di Canio but his political views really aren't anyone else's business.

It's not as if Di Canio came in proclaiming he was a fascist when he got the Sunderland job. The only people who mentioned it were the media.

Well people are interested, not least the fans of Sunderland, so that makes it the media's job to find out on their behalf.

So if we all suddenly became interested in Lambert's political beliefs it would be the local media's job to hound Lambert about them at press conferences?

If Lambert does something that brings shame on Aston Villa then I would expect the media to ask him about it at a press conference, yes.

Not sure why old Paolo needs defending from the big bad media. All they did was ask him some questions about his dodgy past behavior. 

As I said in another thread, I have no love for Di Canio but his political views really aren't anyone else's business.

He made them other peoples business when he chose to make media statements about them and to salute in front of TV cameras and large crowds. 

If he'd kept his opinions to himself then you would be correct. 

put it this way. Di Canio has political beliefs but he hasnt actually done anything except say them. Their is a lot worse people (who have attacked and hurt people)  in football still playing who have not got this sort of grilling.

Why was not so many journalists when Lee Hughes signed for Port Vale or when Marlon King joined sha 

Why was not so many journalists when Lee Hughes signed for Port Vale or when Marlon King joined sha 

The British press loves a good story about them evil foreigners!

Can't really believe this thread. Here is a guy who has given fascist salutes at Lazio (already infamous for its fascist/anti-semitic fans), said he is a fascist, and praised Mussolini, and people are asking why the press questioned him about it?  :o 

• Like 2

Can't really believe this thread. Here is a guy who has given fascist salutes at Lazio (already infamous for its fascist/anti-semitic fans), said he is a fascist, and praised Mussolini, and people are asking why the press questioned him about it?  :o 

Yet nobody gave a flying **** when he got the Swindon job.

but the last manager never got questioned when he walked out on his previous team 4 days before start of season.

thats worse than anything Di Canio has ever done

• Like 1

Probably because Di Canio is managing a football team and not running for parliament?

Edited by Mantis

Can't really believe this thread. Here is a guy who has given fascist salutes at Lazio (already infamous for its fascist/anti-semitic fans), said he is a fascist, and praised Mussolini, and people are asking why the press questioned him about it? :o

but the last manager never got questioned when he walked out on his previous team 4 days before start of season.

thats worse than anything Di Canio has ever done

Ahahahaha. That's perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read on Villatalk. Trouble is, I think you may have been serious!

What would the reaction on here have been if he'd replaced Lambert?

I'd have been disgusted on several fronts but mostly as he's done nothing to suggest he's a PL manager for a club of our size. Wigan / Reading possibly, but AVFC ? No!

Purely out of curiosity, at what point would a manager's political views, become a concern ?

Everyone will have their own ideas about that. Clearly some people don't care at all what the manager's opinions are and for others it could be a concern for them. 

• Like 1

On the 'why its being dragged up now' issue. Its simply about exposure. Last year a county cricketer, drunk and high on coke walked in front of a train killing himself, I doubt many non cricket fans could even name him. If the same happened to a premier league footballer it would be front page news for months. Is it right? Not really but thats how the press works, feeding our appetite for celebrity. As a premier league manager the press will drag this out for months.

Â