Sunderland

Richard

2-0 down after the first leg of their semi-final against Lincoln. If they don't get promoted, next season will be their fourth in a row in League One, in our first season after relegation they were still a Premier League side.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

2-0 down after the first leg of their semi-final against Lincoln. If they don't get promoted, next season will be their fourth in a row in League One, in our first season after relegation they were still a Premier League side.

Wow.

Just seen that they might not have Aiden McGeady, pretty much their most creative and possibly best player, available for their semi-final second leg, because there's a clause in his contract whereby if he plays thirty games this season it automatically triggers a 12 month extension, and Saturday's game if he plays would be his thirtieth. I guess if they don't go up they probably wouldn't be able to afford him for another year, and if they do go up would need better given he'll turn 36 next season.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, useless said:

That could have been us or so much worse under Xia. We are very lucky. 

• Like 1

Will now be four successive seasons in League One for them. They really have made some awful decisions off the pitch that has put the club on it’s knees.

If nobody has seen their documentary it’s an interesting watch. 

Edited by ferguson1

For quite a while they were one season behind us in circling the drain. But while we've managed to push ourselves on (and got extremely lucky with owners) and get back to where we were, they just continued dropping and can't seem to get out of the mud.

look at some of the names promoted in the time they've been in this league. just goes to show how tough it is to recover when you have been totally mismanaged off the field. this could have so, so, easily been us. whenever i think of sunderland, i remind myself how lucky we are

• Like 3

Major difference between us and Sunderland is that when they went down they spent barely more than £1m, whereas when we were relegated we spent close to £80m.

Edited by useless

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

this could have so, so, easily been us. whenever i think of sunderland, i remind myself how lucky we are

Exactly. We could have easily been languishing in the lower leagues or even bankrupt now. We've had a number of 'sliding doors' moments in the last few years and luckily, we seem to have come out of it in good shape. Few major scares along the way! 

• Like 1

The perennial sufferers.  At times I thought our constant suffering would never end but it really does seem to be the case for them.

Edited by Wainy316

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Â