Sunderland

Richard

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I smashed through four episodes last night. It's such a well made show. 

Yes agreed, i love it. Finished series 2 already, so gripping!! Quite funny too, although so easily could have been us!

Edited by leighavfc

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I smashed through four episodes last night. It's such a well made show. 

Did the same thing. It’s cringing watching the balls up of the January window. Also it’s palpable how much the staff all hate the smarmy Director 😆

• Haha 1

Methven is like a cheaper shitter version of Purslow. I think Bain was probably the better administrator going by the 2 seasons.

The awkwardness of him trying to have a pint or be buddy buddy with the Sunderland working class fans is hilarious

• Like 1

I don’t actually get the vitriol for Methven. Yes he’s a toff red trouser rocket polisher, however he is also telling some hard truths to teams who clearly have gotten away with doing sod all for years, he’s trying to inject some energy and he clearly does care. Yes he may be a bit out of touch (perhaps an understatement) but you do need people who aren’t afraid to try and make a change when things clearly need changing. Those people in the marketing team weren’t pulling their weight at all and even if you don’t agree with your boss or might not like his style of working, you have to adapt and show respect. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

I don’t actually get the vitriol for Methven. Yes he’s a toff red trouser rocket polisher, however he is also telling some hard truths to teams who clearly have gotten away with doing sod all for years, he’s trying to inject some energy and he clearly does care. Yes he may be a bit out of touch (perhaps an understatement) but you do need people who aren’t afraid to try and make a change when things clearly need changing. Those people in the marketing team weren’t pulling their weight at all and even if you don’t agree with your boss or might not like his style of working, you have to adapt and show respect. 

Very much this.

12 hours ago, Spoony said:

As a money man he is probably good but don't try be one of the guys if thats your position. The way acted on Boxing Day and with the music change was Brentesque

The owner is far too emotionally invested I think.

He actually comes across very well but I get the sense that you need to be detached from a football club these days in order to run it properly, in a perverse way.

The MD guy is a bit of a tool, I think his hearts in the right place but you don't get people on board by belittling and insulting them.

• Like 1

Didn't know until after watching the 2nd series that the owner left his missus (who he had 4 kids with) and moved in with a former lapdancer. She appeared in one of last episodes and all i could think was that she had botoxed the fck out of her face....and....also, what exactly did the leggy blonde (admittedly fairly fit) see in that chubby short arse millionaire ?🤷‍♂️

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

I'm 3 episodes in. Thus far Methven is just standard marketing executive from the City. That style isn't for everyone but has its successes for some. He's clearly a bit out of touch - the music, dear **** the music - and he's not at home in the working class salt if the earth world and is palpably uncomfortable in it, but generally he has the right ideas.

I've encountered people like him in the past, and I wouldn't want to work for him. The way he spoke to the marketing woman on the sidelines would be a 'pull aside for a quiet word about him never speaking to me like that again' moment in my world.

The owner is, so far, seemingly a good bloke. Unfortunately I've a suspicion that it will end in years ultimately. He's trying to fight a good fight against a tide. He openly says as much as one point - he wants the romantic era of football back from his childhood. It's a nice notion and in many ways Sunderland's position gives him the impetus to try to push the club towards those ideals, but ultimately the game has changed, and trying to go against it will end in tears. It'll probably end in tears anyway in truth

Saw the first series. Always enjoy behind the scenes stuff but did cringe at them really tailoring it to the American audience and explaining what promotion and relegation was and then getting Jim White on to do his annual combustion about the transfer window. Always interesting to see how transfers get done though. In fairness Will Grigg has scored 80 goals in 5 seasons in league one so I'm amazed he's flopped so much at Sunderland. He's only 28 so are his knees shot like Richards or something?

Worth remembering Man. City were like this 20 years ago. Just four years ago Sheffield united were failing yet again to get out of league one.

Sunderland the sort of club that when they finally get up probably won't take too long to get back into the premier league.

On 04/04/2020 at 12:38, Zatman said:

Methven is like a cheaper shitter version of Purslow. I think Bain was probably the better administrator going by the 2 seasons.

The awkwardness of him trying to have a pint or be buddy buddy with the Sunderland working class fans is hilarious

I don't get that. I come from a working class area. I've since moved away from it. And I can sort of relate to this when it comes to money, clothes, how you speak and what not.  

I've seen the stuff you refer to, and I just don't get what he did wrong, other than dressing smart.  If he'd stood in the corner with some bimbo sipping amarone, then that would have been wrong as well.  

In general the dislike for Methven seems a bit OTT. He seems to be on the money about most things. He's communicating skills are a bit crude and the music scene was cringy AF  but other than than that I think both him and the owner come off well enough. I am only 4 episodes in mind. 

• Like 2

Â