Sunderland

Richard

21 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Amazes me that this deal was never scrutinised

There record signing Ibrahim ndong has also refused to return to the club. 

He is posting photos of his holidays now on Instagram ??

Sunderland are refusing to pay them and thats better than sacking them 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is posting photos of his holidays now on Instagram ??

Sunderland are refusing to pay them and thats better than sacking them 

If there was any good in the footballing world, no team would sign him after this. This level of unprofessionalism is insane. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 15:11, Villan4Life said:

Going to watch this on Netflix on Friday. My  old boss at St Mirren is at Sunderland now and doing a good job. Going to be an interesting watch

I've just started watching it, very good from what I've seen so far. Also a lot more relatable than that Man City one on amazon! 

Looks interesting, will start this later.

I imagine it was a very different ending to what they thought would happen when they started filming.

The Netflix series is very good. A portrait of a club where everything that could go wrong did, the producers must have been pinching themselves as the drama basically writes itself. It's nice to see it not be too neutered either, there's a few moments where things that normally would be guarded are shown - players critical of management, boardroom tribulations, etc.

Watching as a Villa fan it's hard not to think of ourselves in our lowest moments of recent times.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Just started watching this tonight...  It strikes home with me, because Villa were in a very similar spot to Sunderland in a lot of ways...  Both clubs overspent massively on shit players and fell out of the Premier League due to old fashioned club structure, clueless executive leadership, poor financial management, and a revolving door of "Jobs for the Lads" managers.  

Sunderland's former Chief Executive, Martin Bain, comes across more like David Brent than Brenden Rodgers does.  As awful as some of our past CEOs have been over the last ~15 years, they all look like Bill Gates compared to this clown.  Has a meeting with his new manager, Simon Grayson, at the start of the summer to discuss transfer targets, then brags to the camera about his transfer dealing process, something along the lines of "Transfers?  All it is is a black book with a bunch of names and figures in it.  I wish I could say it is more scientific than that, but it isn't."  Next, he has a meeting with his Academy manager, who advises him to fill the squad out with young players who, "won't embarrass the club too much" that they can sell for profit at some point in the future.  Bain agrees and says "Well, we're gonna have to tell Simon that's what we're going to do..."  Then, with 4 DAYS to go in the transfer window, he has a meeting with his scouting department to talk about targets for the first time.  I repeat, 4 DAYS to go until the window shuts, and he has his first meeting with his scouting staff...  It becomes painfully obvious that nobody is talking to one other in the Sunderland org...  The scouting department doesn't know the transfer or wage budgets, because with 4 DAYS to go in the window, the CEO hasn't given them that information, and Bain spends most of the meeting bashing his scouting team for giving him a list of unrealistic targets.  I've been in meetings in my career where executives have a meeting with one of their senior managers who they don't particularly like, and derail the entire meeting to berate that manager about every minor detail they see.  I 100% got the same vibe from this meeting.  You feel for their chief scout who admits that they did the best with the information they had at hand...  The biggest thing that stuck out to me was the manager was not involved in the meeting to talk about transfer targets with the scouting team and the CEO.  Reminds me of the Sherwood/Reid/Fox issues we heard about after the fact at our own club.  Reily Reid was playing football manager '16 and finding wonderkids for us to sign, while Sherwood was phoning up every past it English player he could think of.  Fox wanted to keep them both happy and tried to split the difference.

Honestly, just from 2 episodes alone, you could see why Sunderland were in the shit and didn't do **** all to turn their situation around last summer.  For all his talk about "investing in youth" and "young and hungry" players, they end up signing Marc Wilson & Callum McManaman on frees and Jonny Williams on loan.  There was a huge scramble to try to sign Ross McCormack in the last 15 minutes of the transfer window, then the deal fell through because the two clubs were on two different pages for terms.  I feel for the Sunderland fans, I really do, and with them the best for their season in League One.  The parallels between our two clubs over the past 10 years or so have been uncanny.  We could easily be in the third division with them if NSEW didn't come in and rescue us from the brink this summer.  I'm so happy that we finally have the right owners, executive, backroom staff, and manager in place to make Villa the successful club it should be.  For the first time in a long time, I don't have doubts about the future of our club and that we're finally on the right path to success.  

What a bang on assessment chap and so true. Martin Bain didn't help matters.

Also started watching this last night and got to S1E4. Great viewing and hits home over alot of things. Worthy of a watch folks.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

Watched a few more episodes...

Everyone at the club and most of the supporters were making Jack Rodwell out to be the reason why they couldn't bring in players last season.  The club stupidly signed him on a 5-year, 70k/week deal, without a relegation wage drop clause in his contract.  Sunderland's CEO, Martin Bain, was pressuring him to rip up his contract and go find another club, so they can use his wage money to fit the bill on new signings.  Instead, Rodwell was more than happy to show up, go through the motions and pick up his paycheck every week, exactly the same situation we've had with players like Micah Richards, so Bain throws a little temper tantrum for the cameras and slams some office doors... 

I've never understood that argument that our supporters have been making for the past 2 years now where Richards should just void his contract by mutual consent and walk away.  Picture this...  You enter in a business deal with a company like Tesla Motors or SpaceX that gives you 18.2 million over the next 5 years for doing minimal work and they realize a year into the deal that they made a terrible decision and forgot to put in a clause to pull the plug on the deal.  You wouldn't see Elon Musk bitching to the media/shareholders that his company made a stupid decision with a supplier, and the supplier is the reason why his company isn't building enough cars/rockets, because the supplier is holding them to the deal both parties agreed to.  Even the most dedicated "Cult of Elon Musk" supporter would be hard pressed to justify that one, so what makes football any different?  

The main issue was that their owner pulled the plug on investing more money into the squad for players and took a mid-table Premier League team down to League One.  Jesus, I'm having Lerner/Xia PTSD by watching this series...  I feel for Sunderland's supporters...

• Haha 1

Again bang on, but what gets me equally is how Rodwell swaggered about the place with no intentions of doing anything but pick up his wages.

I see both sides of the coin and we have been guilty of it on numerous occasions, N'Zogbia, Beye, Richards, Lescott etc.

Just modern day mercenaries cashing in on clubs misfortunate descision making.

- The exact same shit that we witnessed after Lambert until we went down.

I honestly think if Xia, Bruce, Wyness & Round were still here now, we would also be emulating Sunderland of 17/18 and their 'little black book' of names.

Scary!!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

The main issue was that their owner pulled the plug on investing more money into the squad for players and took a mid-table Premier League team down to League One.  Jesus, I'm having Lerner/Xia PTSD by watching this series...  I feel for Sunderland's supporters...

A bit like what happened with Rushden & Diamonds once their owner had enough too. Sunderland are quite lucky they never kept slipping.

@KMitch just wait until you see his antics in the January window. His entire plan seems to be based on Micah Richards Jack Rodwell deciding just to walk away from his £60/70k (both amounts are quoted) contract and essentially become unemployed. Now I'm pretty sure the chronology of events are edited to fit the narrative of the filmmakers so you have to take this with a pinch of salt, but he doesn't appear to begin to deal with this until mid January. Rodwell decides that he'd rather honour the contract he'd agreed with the club and it all comes crashing in.  Now I'm firmly of the opinion that fans and casual observers get to call Rodwell a greedy bastard but I'm not sure senior management at the club can really play that card with a straight face.

I see so much of Aston Villa in this documentary and I'm really glad we somehow managed to avoid a second successive relegation. We still aren't out of the woods yet though, but thankfully we either got lucky or dealt with it better than Sunderland did. I'm pretty sure that there are other clubs on thin ice too. This documentary is a hell of a warning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I see so much of Aston Villa in this documentary and I'm really glad we somehow managed to avoid a second successive relegation. We still aren't out of the woods yet though, but thankfully we either got lucky or dealt with it better than Sunderland did. I'm pretty sure that there are other clubs on thin ice too. This documentary is a hell of a warning. 

Yeah I'm seeing a Bain / Faulkner resemblance.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â