Sunderland

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Dwight Yorke has thrown his hat into the ring for the Sunderland Job (Like he does each time Villa Job comes up_. But Martin Bain isn't contacting him back.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/dwight-yorke.1402656/

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dwight-yorke-sunderland-need-uplift-13900584

Dwight Yorke says Sunderland need an uplift and he can provide it – if only they would answer his calls.

Yorke is desperate to get into management but is currently struggling to do so. He told Talksport he has tried to speak to chief executive Martin Bain about the vacancy at the Stadium of Light, but has not heard back.

The Black Cats have begun interviewing candidates to replace Simon Grayson, who two weeks ago was sacked along with coaches Glynn Snodin and Ian Miller.

Yorke has worked as assistant manager of Trinidad and Tobago, but is yet to get his chance as a No.1. He has applied three times to manage Aston Villa and revealed in the summer he had a conversation, rather than an interview, about succeeding David Moyes as Sunderland manager. This time he has not managed that – at least yet.

“I’ve tried to get hold of Martin Bain and I’ve left a message or two to see if there’s any comeback,” Yorke told Talksport.

“I think at this time that place needs a bit of uplift – something new, something exciting. I know they’ve gone for experience in the past, they’ve tried all that, that hasn’t quite worked out. Why not give somebody new, who’s really eager to prove to everybody that he can do a good job there?

“That’s all it is. An interview would be nice – I’m not even getting that – but I’ll still continue to work on it and see where we get.”

The last time Sunderland were facing relegation from the Championship and in desperate need of an uplift, they handed Roy Keane his first managerial job and the season ended with the Black Cats winning the title. One of Keane’s first signings was his old Manchester United team-mate Yorke, who made 62 appearances in all competitions for the club.

Approaching his 35th birthday when he joined, Yorke was something of an unofficial player-coach at the Stadium of Light.

Last year Yorke put his struggles to break into management down to a combination of his skin colour and lack of experience.

“I think there’s a bit of both there,” he said. “I genuinely think there’s a bit of both.

“It’s often been discussed, no-one has really taken it up, but I do have a tendency when I speak to everybody, certainly black players who are trying to break into managerial department are coming up against the same concept because of your race.

“Okay, maybe you will never get a chance to be a manager but it would be nice to go in there, present yourself, get to know that person and (for them to) say, ‘Okay, Dwight, we like your concept, but you’re not experienced enough. Go away and do this or do that.’”

Sunderland are understood to prefer an experienced manager as Grayson’s replacement, with the likes of Paul Heckingbottom, Aitor Karanka and Ally McCoist thought to be ahead of Phil Neville, Kevin Phillips and John O’Shea in their thinking.

Now 46, Yorke’s playing experience is extensive, having won the treble with Manchester United, played in the Championship with Sunderland, the A-League with Sydney, and at the World Cup with his country in a career which took in more than 600 appearances as a winger, centre-forward, then holding midfielder.

Edited by Villan4Life

Sunderland want Paul Heckinbottham apparently. Approached expected to Barnsley within next few days.

Probably the same as Grayson imo. His methods work at the club he's at but Sunderland is a totally different case. If Hecky wants a quick pay rise then a pay off after 3 months then fair enough but I'd say at Barnsley a bit longer and see what the offers are end of the season.

• Like 1

I await the comments of Sol on this one.

Dwight is a man who really has vanished up his own rectum in later life. He was the nicest guy in the world when at Villa, then Man United came calling. (Although anyone around Sutton in the late 90’s will be aware there were other things in his left that may have had an impact)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sunderland want Paul Heckinbottham apparently. Approached expected to Barnsley within next few days.

Probably the same as Grayson imo. His methods work at the club he's at but Sunderland is a totally different case. If Hecky wants a quick pay rise then a pay off after 3 months then fair enough but I'd say at Barnsley a bit longer and see what the offers are end of the season.

Heckingbottom looks a cracking manager as well! Home time club and all that i really hope he doesn't leave Barnsley.

I fully expect bigger clubs to be looking soon to Kevin Nolan he has done great job at Leyton Orient and now Notts County. The guy has so much potential as a manager and is only 35 as well.

Edited by Villan4Life

I hate the way Yorke expects to land and Premier League job for no reason at all. Go to the lower divisions and earn your stripes. 

Edit: for a moment there I forgot Sunderland got relegated lol

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

Yorke throwing the race card out there. What a clown. You aren't getting callbacks because you have zero experience. Earn your corn as a coach at a lower league club.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yorke throwing the race card out there. What a clown. You aren't getting callbacks because you have zero experience. Earn your corn as a coach at a lower league club.

Mentioned this somewhere else. The arrogance of people like Yorke and Giggs expecting big jobs just because of who they are. They forgot both of their attitudes stink especially to member of their own family. Most clubs because of this wouldn't want touch them with a bargepole until they can prove themselves in lower divisions.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Does he even have his coaching badges?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does he even have his coaching badges?

Yes recently.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sunderland/story/3271730/ex-manchester-united-star-dwight-yorke-voices-interest-in-sunderland-vacancy

Dwight Yorke has told talkSPORT he is interested in the managerial vacancy at his former club Sunderland.

The ex-Aston Villa and Manchester United striker, who has completed his coaching badges, is hoping to break into management.

Edited by Villan4Life

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I hate the way Yorke expects to land and Premier League job for no reason at all. Go to the lower divisions and earn your stripes. 

Edit: for a moment there I forgot Sunderland got relegated lol

In fairness to yorke. Sunderland have been talking to ally mcoist about the job and he only managed rangers in a pub league.

37 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

In fairness to yorke. Sunderland have been talking to ally mcoist about the job and he only managed rangers in a pub league.

but he was a captain on a Question of Sport so has some leadership skills ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Their fans don't want him as i think he was their record signing in the early 80's and was only there for a season (before scoring shedloads for Rangers) and he was shocking for them. It would be like us asking Bosko Balaban to our new manager more than the majority wouldn't want him either! :D

Edited by Villan4Life

Â