Sunderland

Richard

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Don't forget that player they signed from Inter on loan, but then didn't sign, but then had to pay £10m for him.
Worst run football club in living memory. At least Leeds got some bang for their buck.

Ricardo Alvarez for £9m wasn’t it?

Sunderland's poor Championship form is a "crisis that must be solved", says the club's chairman Ellis Short.

The Wearsiders sacked boss Simon Grayson, who replaced David Moyes in the summer, just 17 minutes after their 3-3 draw with Bolton on Tuesday.

The club, relegated from the Premier League last term, are 22nd in the table with just one win from 15 games.

"The frustration goes beyond having just been relegated," American Short told Sunderland's official website.

"We've obviously got a bit of a crisis to solve right now and when things are going this poorly lots of things become issues - maybe things which shouldn't be."

The Black Cats, who travel to Middlesbrough in the Tees-Wear derby on Sunday, are understood to want an experienced manager to replace Grayson before the visit of Millwall on 18 November.

"I don't believe that this squad of players belongs in the bottom three of the Championship. What's worse is it's not as if we've been putting in great performances and just can't get the ball in the net," Short added.

"We've given away more goals than all but one team and this is largely with many of the defensive players we had last season in the Premier League. That's not acceptable and our view at the club was that we needed to make the change."

'I am watching'

Short, 57, has faced criticism from fans this season but says he is monitoring what is happening at the club, even if he is not present at matches.

"I'm as involved as I've ever been. It is true I am not physically at as many games, which is due to me being more involved in my business life and my family spending time in the US, but I'm watching," Short added.

"Also, I am involved financially. I've put a significant amount of new capital into the club this summer. This didn't go to buy new players, it went to cover losses related to our mistakes of the past."

Short has been Sunderland owner since May 2009 and said he had hired an advisor this year to process a takeover of the club, but decided to remain in June as he was unhappy with the potential deal with a German consortium.

He added: "I have got the interests of the club at heart and I am not going to do anything that is not good for the club.

"I do understand the fans want me out, but I am certain that they would not have been happy with that transaction and that's why it wasn't done."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41863480

Be very worried Sunderland fans. We heard this from Lerner and it proved to be BS.

How many good American owners have actually been in the premier league. Lerner started off well but disaster, same for Ellis Short, Hicks and Gillett were awful for Liverpool and nearly took them into administration, John W Henry been a bit better but still sense of Liverpool just settling for maybe finishing 4th, Arsenal fans hate Kroneke.

In a funny way and despite mass protests the Glazers long term have proved good ownership for Man. United.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How many good American owners have actually been in the premier league. Lerner started off well but disaster, same for Ellis Short, Hicks and Gillett were awful for Liverpool and nearly took them into administration, John W Henry been a bit better but still sense of Liverpool just settling for maybe finishing 4th, Arsenal fans hate Kroneke.

In a funny way and despite mass protests the Glazers long term have proved good ownership for Man. United.

a guy at Fulham as well. he was born Pakistan but think did he lived in USA since he was a kid and owns an NFL team. got them relegated

Hicks and Gillette bought Liverpool using zero money. It was all borrowed and they could afford repayments and to borrow more as the value of the club went up, then sold for big profit. I have zero money bit they wouldnt have give me a crack at it! 

18 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Hicks and Gillette bought Liverpool using zero money. It was all borrowed and they could afford repayments and to borrow more as the value of the club went up, then sold for big profit. I have zero money bit they wouldnt have give me a crack at it! 

Weren't they days off administration before they were forced out?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Favour for what?

I love the blind panic on here when a team within about 5 points of us might win a game and close the gap.

The same inform middlesboro who have slowly but quietly been closing us and have a very good squad? I think its more than "Blind panic" when you see them in the next few weeks. Boro are going to be  serious threat for 2nd wait and see.

Edited by Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The same inform middlesboro who have slowly but quietly been closing us and have a very good squad? I think its more than "Blind panic" when you see them in the next few weeks. Boro are going to be  serious threat for 2nd wait and see.

Boro have won 1 in 8 haven't they so roughly what we were doing first few weeks. They might well win tomorrow but they're hardly going to win their next 10 in a row. They'll probably lose to SHA aswell. ;)

Just now, VillaChris said:

Boro have won 1 in 8 haven't they so roughly what we were doing first few weeks. They might well win tomorrow but they're hardly going to win their next 10 in a row. They'll probably lose to SHA aswell. ;)

They go above us if they win and they have not even hit top form. Boro are more of a concern than cardiff and Bristol city in my opinion.

I just think it's a bit melodramatic to be relying on favours from opposition (who are awful anyway) when there's still 90 more points to play for. I can understand it more in April when games are running out.

Let's look after ourselves. It was a poor result today but I back us to bounce back as we have winnable games the rest of this month.

• Like 1

Â