Sunderland

Richard

Takeover discussions with the German folk have ended - Ellis Short remains owner - and further...

Sunderland have been granted permission to speak to Preston North End boss Simon Grayson about their managerial vacancy, and have also confirmed that the proposed sale of the club is off.

(Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40444054)

Can't help but feel he'd be an astute appointment.

Just now, bobzy said:

Can't help but feel he'd be an astute appointment.

Yes, let's hope he stays put.  Preston are in with a shout next season.  You could argue a better one than that lot, but the size of them might be a draw.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know to be honest about Grayson, he looks mixed to me. Some good and some failures. Don't think them having him is anything to be frightened of.  

Agreed. Average championship manager to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know to be honest about Grayson, he looks mixed to me. Some good and some failures. Don't think them having him is anything to be frightened of.  

He's never managed at a particularly high level.  Every single team he's managed (Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield, Preston) he has been appointed in League One and gotten them promoted.  Zero relegations (although a terrible run of form at Huddersfield).  He's guided Preston to consecutive 11th place finishes in the Championship since being promoted.

Complete upward trend for a relatively young manager.  I think he'd make a good appointment. 

This certainly looks the case of a "I didn't realise how big the problems were here" type statement in 6 months time which we've heard from countless Villa managers in the last 7 years.

He was building something at Preston and they weren't that far off the play offs, I'd say they'd be more likely to challenge for top 6 than Sunderland unless they massively overhaul their squad.

In a funny way it's still win win for Grayson. Would imagine he'd get a pay rise and also a good pay off in 6-12 months time if the new owners don't take to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's never managed at a particularly high level.  Every single team he's managed (Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield, Preston) he has been appointed in League One and gotten them promoted.  Zero relegations (although a terrible run of form at Huddersfield).  He's guided Preston to consecutive 11th place finishes in the Championship since being promoted.

Complete upward trend for a relatively young manager.  I think he'd make a good appointment. 

Hasn't really done much a championship level. Two 11th place finishes is just ordinary in my view. Think Sunderland as they are now will b a real challenge, if he succeeds there then I might think along the same lines

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hasn't really done much a championship level. Two 11th place finishes is just ordinary in my view. Think Sunderland as they are now will b a real challenge, if he succeeds there then I might think along the same lines

Two consecutive 11th place finishes with a team whose transfer record is £1.5m - set back in 2000.  They should be nowhere near doing what they are, Preston.

yeah Grayson has done a great job at Preston and knows the division. Makes astute signings and gets best out of players

only thing would be the egos at Sunderland whether they will buy into it though he did get great performances from McGeady

Sunderland are like we were last season, in such a mess that they won't even make the playoffs. Grayson might be able to steady the ship but they will just be a midtable side next year (at best).

Â