Sunderland

Richard

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They have a better squad than we did last season, the question is how many of their better players can they keep and how smart can they be in the transfer window, unlike us, who spent tens of millions on, for the most part, utter shithouses.

I'd say it's pretty marginal.

They have a better striker than we did (Defoe) and a better keeper (Pickford) but I can't really see either still being there in August. Infact Defoe can leave on a free transfer now so there's zero chance of him staying.

Even though our squad was terrible, we still had players like Gana who's comfortably held his own in the 7th best team in the league.

If Sunderland are relying on likes of Larsson, O'Shea, Borini and Djibojili to get them back up they might aswell have their sat navs penned in for Walsall and Scunthorpe.

David Moyes is finished. He looks and sounds like a broken man. 

His transfer dealings this season have been absolutely atrocious. 

On 4/11/2017 at 12:37, rodders0223 said:

5 August 2016CB5 Papy Djilobodji Chelsea£8,000,000

11 August 2016CB19 Paddy McNair Manchester United£5,500,000

11 August 2016RB22 Donald Love

19 August 2016LW20 Steven Pienaar EvertonFree

31 August 2016CM17 Didier N'Dong Lorient£13,600,000

2 September 2016ST28 Victor Anichebe West Bromwich AlbionFree

7 September 2016 [8]GK12 Mika BoavistaUndisc.

24 January 2017DF15 Joleon Lescott AEKFree

30 January 2017CM24 Darron Gibson Everton£7,500,000

30 January 2017LB3 Bryan Oviedo

The problem is that like us they never knew when to quit. It has been one disastrous window after another for the best part of 5 years, lumping in huge sums, for marginal gain, and no resale or long term success. They would have been better shutting up shop and just going down years ago.

Quoted again, just to reiterate the point about wasting money.

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

David Moyes is finished. He looks and sounds like a broken man. 

His transfer dealings this season have been absolutely atrocious. 

I think he feels very bitter. Being hyped up about the decent job at everton( which he does not shut up about) to then go and manage one of the biggest clubs in the world and now celebrating relegation with Sunderland. 

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

They paid £7.5m for Gibson? Christ. 

Joint amount with Oviedo I think. 

Still far too much!

Who is going to buy their players? 

Going to sell: Defoe and Pickford

Might sell: Khazri, Cattermole, NDong, and Kirchoff

The rest Sunderland are probably stuck with. To be fair, I think Januzaj, Gibson, Rodwell, and Denayer could be decent in the championship, but their team just screams mediocrity even down here. 

David Moyes says he will stay on as Sunderland manager for next season

David Moyes says he will stay on as Sunderland manager for next season

Owner Ellis Short wants Scot to remain in charge despite relegation
Moyes: We have to find a way to get things correct
3500.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

David Moyes is confident Sunderland owner Ellis Short and the club’s board want him to remain as manager despite relegation from the Premier League.

After flirting with the drop for several seasons the Black Cats have finally lost their top-flight status on Moyes’ watch, with demotion confirmed four games ahead of time and fans turning on the Scot in their droves.

Moyes met American businessman Short and chief executive Martin Bain this week and insisted he was given no reason to fear the axe. Instead, he appeared to suggest further discussions at the end of the campaign would be about assessing the blueprint and budget for next year’s assault on the Championship, and whether they matched his expectations.

“Ellis and the board want me to stay,” he said after being asked if there had been a decision on his future.

“I don’t know what you mean by ‘decision’. I’ve got a four-year contract so I don’t know what you’re talking about ‘a decision’.

“We were deflated, I wouldn’t say it was an uplifting kind of meeting. We weren’t there for that, we were there to talk business. “None of us were happy because we’re disappointed we got relegated.

“We’ll have another meeting at the end of the season. We’ve only put initial plans down at this present time. I know what needs to be done to get back in the Premier League, I know the requirements, but we’ve only had initial talks.

“I’ll know more come the end of the season, once we see exactly what we’re able to deal with, what we can work with, then we’ll know exactly what we can do.”

Moyes’ summary of the summit may not go down well with those sections of the support who are eager to see the back of the former Manchester United and Everton boss. That group seems to be growing in number and visibility, meaning a potentially tricky balancing act awaits if he does remain in post, but the 54-year-old was hardly in bridge-building mood on the eve of Saturday’s clash with Hull.

Reminded of his pre-season prediction of a survival battle, unexpected comments which critics suggested could scare of possible transfer targets and lower expectations of those already at the club, Moyes was bullish.

“When I look back on it I was very honest, forthright, told people what I thought,” he said.

“I came to a part of the country where, I was led to believe, that was the way people wanted speaking to. I told them exactly.

“We’d been in a relegation battle the four previous seasons. You want managers to tell the truth and I do.”

Speculation has also been rife about key members of the playing squad.

The usual disappearance of players at the end of current deals can be expected and there will be no shortage of suitors for top-scorer Jermain Defoe or goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

Both harbour hopes of going to next summer’s World Cup and will be eager to stay in the top flight, though Moyes expects more of a fight over Pickford.

“We can only lose the ones who are out of contract. Jordan Pickford is in contract so there’s nothing to say we’ll lose Jordan,” he said. “Jermain Defoe has a clause in his contract so that’s possible.”

cheering_minions.gif

dhMeAzK.gif

• Like 1

In a way this is a good thing, as the fans are against him so he will be under pressure from the start, and there will be no new manager bounce

I also think he brought very badly. If they had no defoe I think they would have finished on the same points as us last season

“We’d been in a relegation battle the four previous seasons. You want managers to tell the truth and I do.”

Telling the truth is fine but stating 2 games into a new season that the team isn't good enough and that they were headed for a relegation battle is idiocy. Straightaway the tone is set for the players that even their manager thinks they can't achieve anything or look upwards at the leage table. A manager needs to be positive and look for progress all the time. Being negative every week and always downplaying anyone's hopes like Moyes does will always lead to bad things. 

It must be like hiring Eeyore or Marvin the terminally depressed android as your manager.  You keep being realistic David.  We love you for it.  You're a **** vortex of downer.

Not only will they not have a new manager bounce, not only will he be under massive pressure from the off.  They'll have wasted their summer having him in charge, so the inevitable new manager who comes in won't have a transfer window until January.  Which is even worse than our situation was, because at least we had a new manager who spent.  He just spent a bit haphazardly.

• Like 1

Â