April Optimism Gauge

maqroll

While we are still showing the same inconsistencies during the 90mins overall there has been a level of improvement in our performances, largely in the potency of our attacking play. We are playing a lot better than one or two of the  teams who are just above us and are closer to the bottom half pack as a whole than we have been in a while. 

With games coming up against Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke and Fulham I'm fairly confident we can leap frog a couple of the teams above us and get ourselves safe. Wigan may stutter or Wigan may continue on with another epic run of results but if we reel in the free-fallers what they do is of no consequence.

• Like 1

So we lost to the redscouse.  Not entirely unexpected by a lot of people on here. I'm still looking at the remaining fixtures and seeing very winnable games.

I'm just glad I'm not a mackem tbh........now I WOULD have cause for concern!

Bad weekend for us although Reading lost so that should finish them off.. If QPR fail to win tonight i will be a lot happier as that will then mean it's pretty much a shoot out between us, Sunderland, Norwich, Stoke & Wigan.. I think Southampton , West Ham & Newcastle will be fine though. If QPR win tonight then that puts them back in the frame too however as they have Wigan (H) next week so could easily be right on our tails again with 2 of their next 3 being Stoke (h) & Reading (a). Don't make the mistake of writing them off just yet.

I think it's 2 from 6

QPR, Villa, Sunderland, Wigan & Norwich, Stoke

& we are starting 2nd bottom from that 6 which stands like this (with teams i think will be ok omitted & remaining games listed)

Stoke...........34pts....Villa (h), Man u (h), QPR (h), Norwich (h), Sunderland (a) Spurs (h) Southampton (a)

Norwich........34pts....Swansea (h), Arsenal (a), Reading (h), Stoke (a), Villa, (h), WBA, (h), Man City (a)

Sunderland..31pts....Chelsea (a), Newcastle (a), Everton (h), Villa (a), Stoke (h), Southampton (h), Spurs (a)

Wigan..........30pts....QPR (a), Swansea (h), West Ham (a), Spurs (h), WBA (a), Arsenal (a), Villa (h)

Villa..............30pts....Stoke (a), Fulham (h), Man u (a), Sunderland (h), Norwich (a), Chelsea (h), Wigan (a)

QPR.............23pts....Fulham (a), Wigan (h), Everton (a), Stoke (h), Reading (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (a), liverpool (a)

Looking at that you can see just how massive a win at Stoke would be.. it would put us to within a point of them with arguably a better run in.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

dont see why people are that downhearted. Everybody seemed to think this was a bonus game and anything we got we would add.

main thing is faith is in our own hands and teams we are playing are winnable and in recent weeks West Ham, Reading and QPR we have won when mattered

main thing is faith is in our own hands

Not really.

We currently need Wigan to do worse than us.

We are in the relegation zone and Wigan have a game in hand.

Our faith is not in our hands.

It is in our own hands though. Sunderland are 1 point above us and we play each other. We beat them and match there haul over 6 other games we stay up. It's entirely in our hands.

Depressing loss to Liverpool, coupled with Wigan beating Chelsea has me feeling very uneasy to say the least. I just pray Sunderland continue their free fall.

Did I miss something when the clocks went forward? When did Wigan beat Chelsea?

I'm really optimistic. I can see us beating Fulham, Sunderland and Norwich and I think 39 points will be enough to keep us up. I also wouldn't rule out picking something up against Stoke and Chelsea. Wigan away will be a nothing game for both clubs as I can see the bottom 3 being Reading, QPR and Sunderland and all their fates being sealed by the last day.

• Like 2

Depressing loss to Liverpool, coupled with Wigan beating Chelsea has me feeling very uneasy to say the least. I just pray Sunderland continue their free fall.

Did I miss something when the clocks went forward? When did Wigan beat Chelsea?

In that lost hour, if you didn't put your clock forward a purple door appeared and if you walked through it, you got to watch it, they only played a half but Wigan won 4-2

Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan must all be looked to as winnable games - the confidence I have from our two wins on the bounce hasn't been dented by an expected loss to Liverpool (who at most I thought we would get a point against.)

18 'gettable' points (writing off utd away). We have to be able to muster at least 50% of those to give ourselves a chance. I think we'll manage 3 more wins and a draw.

While it may give some comfort to list our games against mid-table clubs and classify them as "winnable", the fact is we haven't been winning too many "winnable" games against anyone. That's why we're in the bottom 3. We should have beaten Liverpool yesterday. We were comfortably on top in the 1st half but crumpled as so many times before when they tightened up their defending and increased the pace of their attacks. Talking about  an "expected defeat" against Liverpool is depressingly defeatist. Are we now accepting we can't beat a team at home who are only 7th, have been inconsistent all season and who just lost to Southampton?

I seem to recall certain recent managers getting it in the neck for suggesting we couldn't beat the "bigger" teams but it seems the scaling down activities of our owner and those messages from his managers have had their effect on some fans.

We need to be clear we are in deep trouble and assuming we are just going to romp through the remaining few matches and pick up points at a rate we haven't managed for about three seasons is very complacent.

Edited by briny_ear

main thing is faith is in our own hands

Not really.

We currently need Wigan to do worse than us.

We are in the relegation zone and Wigan have a game in hand.

Our faith is not in our hands.

we play Wigan and Sunderland. We win both them we are probably safe. Completely in our hands, we are not relying on snookers.

Plus that game in hand is City away, City could pummel them and even knock us above them

With QPR just losing I think that's them and Reading confirmed as down and out so definitely between us and the few above us now. I'm gonna go with Sunderland dropping as the third team based on the remaining fixtures.

Â