• Sylla
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Delph (for Bannan 62)
    • N'Zogbia (for Weimann 62)
    • El Ahmadi (for Sylla 76)

Let's face it, no referee is going to send Gerrard off (as he would have to have done) for a prolonged oath-strewn rant, even though it would be good to see refs do this. The reality of power within the game means Gerrard will always be given some leeway.

I'm disappointed in a way - there was definitely a point on offer here and it would have been a fair result - I thought at times in the first half that we were excellent and we worked our socks off - the key moment in the game was Weimann's hamstring going. He nursed it through but he'd lost a bit of that buzz he has. In the first half, the front three were excellent, Benteke in particular dominated, but in the second half without Weimann's movement he had no-one to lay the ball off to. Would coulda shoulda and all that, but I think we gave up on it too soon and I think it would've been a valuable point - by 'us' by the way, I mean all of us not just the team but the support too, it was quiet at Villa Park today. 

Weimann's injury ultimately meant we had no movement in the second half, it meant that the pressure was on our midfield and they had limited options - but we really could have come away with a point. Liverpool look like what they are - a mid-table team with a very good striker.

• Like 1

It was easy to lipread pretty much every single word of that Gerrard rant as it happened from both sides. The ref was one more '**** off' away from sending him off.

I did like it when Gerrard walked off as Mason was talking to him and Mason said "Gerrard, Gerrard! Get back here, I haven't finished with you yet."

There was no fawning there, trust me.

Cue the overreactions.

The good Liverpool turned up today. We were a bit flat in places. No worse than that.

Bring on the rest now, we're gonna shoot up the table.

Spot on. The difference between the teams today was the movement of Suarez and Coutinho. Let's hope the players have more belief than some on here....

Thought we let them off the hook, they are brilliant going forward but they look as bad at the back as we do! And hate physical presence against them. So we barely went forward in the last 30mins. Disappointing.

On another note, Steven Gerrard is a cock. What sort of example is it for kids when the England captain is arguing with the red over a correct decision!?

Yes... I'd like to know how it got to the point whereby any player can direct expletive-laden invective in the face of referees and nothing comes of it. Regardless of the referee's decision, this will never be acceptable. Gerrard was guilty at least twice today.

Was never going to happen, but as Gerard was going to get a booking for the foul, he should have recieved an immediate second yellow for the foul mouthed rant, and his insistence of making sure his obscenity riddled comments were going to be the last word between him and the ref. He's done it throughout his career so now it seems to be a given that it's ok, it's just Gerard, As i say was never going to happen

Gerrard seemed to move from the right hand side into the centre in the second half (then back towards the right towards the end) I don't think he can do it for 90 minutes anymore - but he did enough in the twenty minutes he was central. Talking of players that are past it - how on earth does Carragher get away with the nudge you, grab you, pull you, appeal to the referee routine he's been running through for the last four years? And has any player ever got further on his own confidence than Glen Johnson?

Liverpool are miles from the top four - we should have had a point.

Subs were awful. When we really needed to change the game, those pair came on and offered infinitely less than the players they replaced

Back from VP and it was typical Villa yet again, imploding under pressure, reminded me of the Baggies away game; two up at half-time then concede early in the 2nd and get battered there from on.

First half we were quality expect for Bannan (his 'back pass' to Suarez said it all) keeping Suarez 'your teeth are offside' quiet and rightly when into the break with the lead thanks to a thunderbolt from Bentekers. But second half is typical of Villa, flapping under pressure and ended up being 2-1 down after 60 minutes. After that expect for the clearance off the line from Gerrard we were shit, simplest way to put it, passing the ball around like we were 2/3 goals up.

Lambert couldn't of done more, well could of brought an experienced CB in January, might of helped. 

Subs were awful. When we really needed to change the game, those pair came on and offered infinitely less than the players they replaced

I agree about KEA (baffling sub!!!) but Delph was a HUGE improvement over Bannan. Bannan shouldn't play again this season. He is dire. His set pieces are shit (then again, no one else's are any better), he can't complete a pass and he gives the ball away in stupid places again and again. I'm not sure N'Zogbia was much of an improvement on Weimann, but Weimann was injured.

Before the match I was telling myself that any point today would have been a bonus, but I'm left frustrated anyway because certainly at least a draw was there for the taking. In the last 30 minutes we didn't even try to attack. Lambert needs to explain to these guys that the game is 90 minutes long, not 45. It's not good enough.

really dont see why gabby is getting such a hard time.

Set up our goal and was a constant threat to the liverpool defence.

his second biggest shortfall being that every time he got the ball it came from benteke meaning there was noone in the middle for him to cross to and lost out to the 5 defenders he pretty much always had around him.

His biggesy shortfall was his shot from 5 yards that he 'missed' but he was under pressure from the defender and he hit the target.

Weiman however gets off scot free with missing a chance from pretty much the same position but under no pressure and skyed it

Gabby was better than weiman today

Guzan - 7, Made a number of good saves, was solid as always, couldn't of done much about the 2 goals.

Lowton - 5, Painfully quiet going forward(although should've got an assist), very very mediocre defensively.

Baker - 6, At fault for the second goal, needless tackle in the area..pure stupidity. However he did save us by making a last ditch tackle to deny Gerrard in the first half, and to put Suarez off when he was 1 on 1, so I guess that evens out.

Vlaar - 6.5 - Best of our defenders today was solid all game.

Bennett, 5.5 Look at Lowton except he was very mediocre defensively.

Westwood, 5 - Disappointing, gave the ball away cheaply. Dominated in midfield

Sylla 6 - Worked hard, put himself about well and decent in possession.

Bannan 5 - Wow didn't take long for everyone to start blaming Villa's scapegoat Bannan :L, Barry had a poor game but of course since he's the scapegoat people rate him a '0', made a few errors, but did most of our defensive work in the first half and was tidyish on the ball. Not nearly as bad as people say he is.

Weimann 5 - Shouldn't of been taken off, missed a golden opportunity but looked a bit of a threat when he was on.

Agbonlahor 5 - Missed a golden chance, but looked a threat.

Benteke 7 - Very well taken goal, unlucky to have his header cleared off the line. Decent performance by the big Belgian. 

Subs

N'Zogbia 5 - Worked hard but to no avail 

Delph 4 - Offered nothing except conceding possession and fouls

El Ahmadi 5 - ineffective

Â