Drug Addiction: Disease, Weakness or Both?

maqroll

I certainly don't blame anyone that has become an addict, it's not as if they would rationally choose to live their life as an addict. At it's worst, it can ruin lives, and I don't think that is something that anyone really wants. 

What baffles me is how anyone can think that handing people a criminal record for succumbing to their weaknesses is going to solve the problem. Fear of getting caught is simply not an effective way of dealing with it, no matter how much you deliberately ruin the lives of the people you do catch.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 3

It's more a case by case situation. Personally I think for some people it is an illness. But there ARE people who just seem to embrace/enjoy the feeling. A level of selfishness that I will never understand seems to go along with this. Some people just enjoy being wasted. They don't care if they hurt themselves or the people that love them. You can constantly get them help and as soon as they get the chance, they will go back to it. Other people are being preyed upon by jackhole drug dealers taking advantage. But there are plenty of people that just prefer to be high and then blame weakness and/or being a victim.  I think that so many people have an unfair disadvantage and especially kids. But you do always have a choice. Easier said than done to make the right one. So thats why I suppose I think it's more an individual circumstance.   

It's more a case by case situation. Personally I think for some people it is an illness. But there ARE people who just seem to embrace/enjoy the feeling. A level of selfishness that I will never understand seems to go along with this. Some people just enjoy being wasted. They don't care if they hurt themselves or the people that love them. You can constantly get them help and as soon as they get the chance, they will go back to it. Other people are being preyed upon by jackhole drug dealers taking advantage. But there are plenty of people that just prefer to be high and then blame weakness and/or being a victim. I think that so many people have an unfair disadvantage and especially kids. But you do always have a choice. Easier said than done to make the right one. So thats why I suppose I think it's more an individual circumstance.

totally agree with you, I myself was very very selfish and didn't care who I hurt but had major guilt the day after but the guilt never stopped me hurting people and myself, I definately had a problem with substances but I don't think I was addicted, also I loved being high and wasted and used to thrive on that enviroment, now I'm starting to see the light and what I've got to lose

Â