Drug Addiction: Disease, Weakness or Both?

maqroll

You hear more and more about drug addiction being a disease...but you can't catch the disease...and doesn't it take at least one moment of weakness to start an addict down that path?

Why so restrictive with only two options? Don't be so **** dull, it can be a lifestyle choice. :D

Big difference between an addict and a dabbler..

When you say drug addiction, do you mean Alcoholism as well? 

Sure, it's just as insidious

I think some people are genetically more disposed to addiction. Things like dopamine and pleasure receptors(?) kicking in. Although I've heard people say they have 'an addictive personality' when in reality they just like getting wasted.

Well its a choice before its becomes an addiction. I struggle to see what would drive someone to inject heroin into your own body, those who do it get no sympathy from me. deserve everything they get.

• Like 1

Well its a choice before its becomes an addiction. I struggle to see what would drive someone to inject heroin into your own body, those who do it get no sympathy from me. deserve everything they get.

I suppose it depends what the situation is. If it's just thrillseeking then I'd agree with you but I'd suggest that for most people it's a far darker path and it's hard to pass judgement on that without knowing what the individual circumstances are.

...I struggle to see what would drive someone to inject heroin into your own body...

Really?

Is that just something about heroin or is it about any kind of drug whatsoever?

BTW, I'm not advocating its use (have never used it and would never wish to) but to come from a viewpoint that you 'struggle to see what would drive someone' seems rather bizarre, if not puritanical.

I struggle to see why some people would shove a glass jar up there arse. I struggle to see why some people gamble what little money they earn. I struggle to see why people vote for UKIP. I struggle to see why people wear fake tan. I struggle to see why people like mushrooms.

However, I don't think like they do.They don't think like I do. To presume another persons thought process based on what you would think in hypothetical situations (such as being handed a syringe full of gunk) is a flawed argument and one best left to religious nutjobs and the like.

• Like 1

It's often trying to numb some other serious pain like child abuse or homelessness/abandonment. 

Perhaps you are not the best person to judge if you haven't experienced issues like that?

Â