Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

Remember it well. Great game that had everything and a great atmosphere and would be up there with games that  I have attended.

I would also throw in when we beat Milan at VP in 1994 and when we beat Athletico Madrid in 1998 but still went out on away goals. The atmosphere on that Madrid game was unbelievable and when Collymore scored it was the loudest I've probably ever witnessed Villa Park before and since.

Remember it well. Great game that had everything and a great atmosphere and would be up there with games that  I have attended.

I would also throw in when we beat Milan at VP in 1994 and when we beat Athletico Madrid in 1998 but still went out on away goals. The atmosphere on that Madrid game was unbelievable and when Collymore scored it was the loudest I've probably ever witnessed Villa Park before and since.

My memory of that Madrid game is tarnished, I was 10 years old and I'd made a poster to take to the game, I saw Stan warming up by the touchline and my Dad suggested I go down and try to get him to sign my poster, so I did, shouted at the top of my lungs and the bastard ignored me, I was crushed.

Rotterdam 82 is obviously a win that would be hard to better. But the 2-1 win against Manchester United in the League Cup SF in season 70-71, Bournemouth 2-1 (h) Division 3 (71-72), QPR 3-0 LCSF Replay 76-77, Everton 3-2 LCF Replay 76-77, Small Heath (h) 3-0 Division 1 (80-81), Everton (a) 3-1 Division 1 (80-81) and the Manchester United 3-1 LCF 94 after that Tranmere win were better games for me up to 94 although that SF win was a super night as well.

• Like 3

Has to be Rotterdam for me.. the game itself was not the best but the whole occasion will surely never be bettered.. The trip over, Football special to Dover-Ferry to Ostend-Coach to Rotterdam in 90+degree heat & then to walk away with the trophy ..will never forget it. The days when we were feared & respected.

Rotterdam 82 is obviously a win that would be hard to better. But the 2-1 win against Manchester United in the League Cup SF in season 70-71, Bournemouth 2-1 (h) Division 3 (71-72), QPR 3-0 LCSF Replay 76-77, Everton 3-2 LCF Replay 76-77, Small Heath (h) 3-0 Division 1 (80-81), Everton (a) 3-1 Division 1 (80-81) and the Manchester United 3-1 LCF 94 after that Tranmere win were better games for me up to 94 although that SF win was a super night as well.

All of the above were great games.  For me it is a toss up between Man Utd in the League Cup semi final in 70-71 and Everton LCF Replay 76-77.  

Standing in the Holte End as a young lad in a crowd of 63,000 watching a third division team beat Man Utd with Best and Charlton was quite something.  However, that night at Old Trafford when we won the LCF against Everton was even better.  We were a goal down and battered them in the second half but I didn't think we would ever score.  Then Chris Nichol let fly.  

Those years under Sir Ron were brilliant and if we had kept him we could have built a club to rival anybody, but then Deadly couldn't help but stick his nose in where it wasn't wanted.

• Like 2

For me it was this.

1. Deano's first home game

2. Scores 2

3. Beat Liverpool

4. I was in the Holte suffering the despair of Ronnie Rosenthal scoring, followed by the elation of him putting it against the crossbar.

• Like 2

Greatest as in game of football ? Result ? Or achievement ?

A few stand out for me -

1) villa 3-1 Utd 1994 Carling Cup Final

2) villa 5-1 SHA

3) villa 3-2 Leeds FA Cup QF

4) villa 2-0 inter Milan

5) Utd 0-1 villa (gabby)

6) Bradford 2-4 Villa (sir graham Taylor era)

7) villa 6-2 everton ( as above)

8) villa 1-0 WBA (1980/81)

9) villa 5-1 Liverpool 78?

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 was without doubt our best first half CI. Goals from Gray (2), Deehan (2) and Little did for them on 15/12/76.

This.

The 2nd half didn't compare to the first half. But the first half not only made this the best game Villa game ever for me but also one of the best displays of football I have very seen by any team.

Frankly we were absolutely stunning and sadly there were no cameras there!

Anyone who was there that night saw some of the most exciting football ever played on a pitch. We were incredible and blew Liverpool away ( at the time they were the best club in Europe).

Some years later I met Emlyn Hughes and he agreed that we totally outplayed them and were unstoppable.

Inho this was our best ever team in modern times.

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 was without doubt our best first half CI. Goals from Gray (2), Deehan (2) and Little did for them on 15/12/76.

This.

The 2nd half didn't compare to the first half. But the first half not only made this the best game Villa game ever for me but also one of the best displays of football I have very seen by any team.

Frankly we were absolutely stunning and sadly there were no cameras there!

Anyone who was there that night saw some of the most exciting football ever played on a pitch. We were incredible and blew Liverpool away ( at the time they were the best club in Europe).

Some years later I met Emlyn Hughes and he agreed that we totally outplayed them and were unstoppable.

Inho this was our best ever team in modern times.

what made this game all the more credible was the monumental status of Liverpool at the time.

Â