Anyone got an aftermarket warranty on their car?

Genie

A while back I looked at getting one for my car but was put off by the £200-£300 per year price. Anyway. got a call tonight from the AA who are my recovery company and they will do it on a rolling monthly basis for £6.98 a month. Seems pretty cheap. I asked a few questions and seems a good deal.

Anyone use AA another warranty provider?

The only experience I have with aftermarket warranties is with Warranty Direct. It was given to me with a car I bought from a dealer.

The engine seized and the warranty company sent an engineer who decided that it was due to oil starvation and wasn't covered.

But the company I bought the car from didn't realise that a warranty can't be used to diminish your rights under the sales of goods act 1979 (amended). Your statutory rights say you have the right to expect the product to be reasonably reliable. So if you've bought a car from a dealer, then you always have a warranty with them, unless it was a trade sale, or sold as seen.

But yes, £8 a month does seem to be good value, depending on the car and the items covered, which I suspect wouldn't be much at all. And anything that did fail would magically be caused by something else that isn't covered.

It all depends what's covered, and with most of these policies its very little. You need to see the policy and check out the list of exclusions. Remember, they make a profit out of providing the insurance. The best type of risks to insure are high cost low probability one. Not sure that car repairs really falls into this.

Â