Russell Martin (Norwich City)

GarethRDR

It's only the Mirror etc...

Leaving Canaries' nest? Norwich duo Russell Martin and Simeon Jackson are wanted men

Defender Martin is a target for Aston Villa after playing for boss Lambert at Wycombe and Carrow Road while Brighton want striker Jackson

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is keen on a reunion with Norwich defender Russell Martin.  The talented 27-year-old was key component of the Canaries side Lambert steered from League One into the Premier League with successive promotions.  Martin was also in the Lambert-managed Wycombe side that lost to Chelsea in the 2007 League Cup semi-final.

Stoke and West Brom are also admirers of the centre-back, who can also play right-back.  Martin played every minute of every game last season and has again been a dependable figure this term under Lambert's successor, Chris Hughton.

Lambert will look to draft in some defensive experience this summer following the club's woes at the back this season.  The Brummies last kept a clean sheet on December 8 against Stoke and have prevented their opponents from scoring just six times all season in all competitions.

A hamstring injury kept Martin out of Scotland's recent World Cup double header against Wales and Serbia, but he has started 14 consecutive games for the Norfolk side in all competitions stretching back to Boxing Day.

RussellMartin_2684622.jpg?20111129160316

Do people think we need a first choice centre back next year? I'd like to see Baker given an extended run there next season, that being said I would not mind getting in maybe some one in the Sylla mould on cheap wages who could come in and do a respectable job and not throw his toys out of the pram.

We need an experienced centre back for sure. Vlaar is injured all the time, Baker is not ready for a full season (he will get plenty of chances though) and Clark is very poor. I think this position has the biggest requirement for strengthening in the squad. Not too sure if this is the player to do it though, would have liked more experience there.

I reckon Baker could be brilliant, he just looks like a centre back from the 30s, not knowing when to pull out of a challenge. I do agree that Clark is not the answer he is a yellow card waiting to happen in every game, and gives away such silly free kicks in dangerous positions. It will be interesting to see who Lambert gets in to replace Dunne. I hope he goes the continental route again as you just do not get value for money buying from other PL clubs.

I think personally we will go for Douglas... available for nothing this summer... 

Good that he's free, but I really don't see how a trombone-playing butter man will improve our defence.

Actually, scratch that, we could play him ahead of Clark.  Okay, I'm on board.

• Like 2

We definitely need to do some serious strengthening work on our defence so I am pleased with this link, if only as an early sign of intent.

Baker and Clark together in the defence spells disaster. One or the other could be fine alongside someone better and more experienced (although I favour Baker - fewer high profile cock-ups).

We definitely need to do some serious strengthening work on our defence so I am pleased with this link, if only as an early sign of intent.

Baker and Clark together in the defence spells disaster. One or the other could be fine alongside someone better and more experienced (although I favour Baker - fewer high profile cock-ups).

In anycase, i think Clark is a better midfielder. For me, his concentration is just not what it should be for a top class CB. In midfield, hes more involved.

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1

I like a lot of our players, they are young, honest and hard-working. Down to earth is seldom a word used about footballers, but at least that is an impression I get for many of them as well.

However,

No matter how humble Baker, Lowton, Stevens, Lichaj, Westwood, Bennett, Bannan, Sylla, Herd, Delph and the rest are - they are also the ones that have made us struggle with relegation all season long. Not counting in Benteke, Guzan and Weimann as they are clearly playing at a better level than the rest of them.

My point is that we can try and play Baker and Westwood all day, but what we need are better players and making a few of the youth players do their absolute best to get into the team. This season the likes of Westwood and Baker (positive impacts I'll give them that) have had a free pass and they have played even when they are tired and well, rubbish. If we do that again next season, if we stay up, we will see the exact same thing this season. Yes, they will be a year older and experienced, but not necessarily any better. Young players thrive when learning from older and better players, when they play alongside each other the learning curve is not as steep IMO.

Looking forward to welcoming back Marc Albrighton next season, without injuries he would have played lots more than 429 minutes. Same with N'Zogbia if he stays and gets some much needed confidence - only 845 minutes this season. Darren Bent, our best goalscorer, only 692 minutes. Lambert clearly has no time for Bent, but who is to say Lambert is here after this season? Same goes for Benteke who has replaced Bent, he will not stay after this season as many top clubs will be after him. It is going to be exciting to see if Lambert replaces him with a new gem or tries to work more with Bent. Probably the former I am afraid. Don't think Lerner is interested in selling Bent for a low fee, just like Abramovich is hesitant to sell Torres as it would be a bitter pill to swallow.

"I think personally we will go for Douglas from Twente... available for nothing this summer... was talk of us trying to get him in Jan for the summer too...." But would we pay the wages he would want Mattyp-avfc?

So who is that player from the 30s GarethRDR (I know we need a bit of experience but would he have the pace as he would be around 100 years old by now)??

Nice to see any link but Norwich would as VillaAlex has said be less than happy for him to come to us.

Edited by John

Again, anyone we are linked with in the newspapers I can safely assume will not be coming to the club.  Our transfer dealings are as tight as a duck's arse and judging from Lambert's buys so far we won't have heard of most of the players who come in. 

Â