The best player you have watched (at a game)

knoppy1987

I can remember seeing Ashley Cole play whilst on loan for Crystal Palace away at Walsall in a Championship match about 10 years ago and thinking 'this kid's gona be good'. He was so quick, read the game well, got forward brilliantly. Many players don't turn out how they should when you see them as youngsters, but there's one who certainly did.

At Villa Park...

Brian Little

Paul McGrath

Andy Gray (the white one)

Also saw Johan Cruyff in 1978 and Paolo Rossi in 1983, both pretty decent ;)

The big names I've seen that spring to mind would be Beckham, C Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Henry, Drogba, Schmeichel, Vieri, Ibrahimovic, Le Tissier and McGrath. Some of them I've on top form (sadly usually when ripping Villa apart) and some have been disappointing in the flesh. The two players I really wanted to see but never had the chance would have to be Zidane and the other Ronaldo. 

for villa..mcgrath.

staunton/yorke/taylor/milner/laursen/nilis/barry.

against..ronaldo/shearer/scoles/ince (ince for england)/ wright/aldridge/wilkins/gullit.

Was Shearer playing against Villa at the time out of interest? And was it at VP or St James'? Wonderful player, but always thought he was poor at VP, don't think he ever scored there.

for villa..mcgrath.

staunton/yorke/taylor/milner/laursen/nilis/barry.

against..ronaldo/shearer/scoles/ince (ince for england)/ wright/aldridge/wilkins/gullit.

Was Shearer playing against Villa at the time out of interest? And was it at VP or St James'? Wonderful player, but always thought he was poor at VP, don't think he ever scored there.

He scored a few.  I vividly remember him scoring a header from a corner against us on New Years Day one time. I think it was the year before Blackburn won the league, because the year they did win the league they played us at Villa Park on the same day Manchester United beat Ipswich 9-0 and Colin Hendry scored that day. 

He scored for Newcastle in the first minute when GT was manager too.  We drew 1-1 with a rare goal from one Peter Crouch.  

I think he scored against us in a game we came from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 too. Would have probably been during the John Gregory days. 

I remember watching Pele at VP and being totally unimpressed. A couple of his Santos teamates were outstanding, though.

In a Villa shirt................God, without question.

I remember a game against Arsenal, when Little was our manager. We were 2-0 up, when Paul Merson took the game by the scruff of the neck, and inspired Arsenal to pull the game back to 2-2. He was absolutely brilliant that day. 

Edited by dAVe80

For Villa, McGrath, absolutely sublime, effortless.

Other teams

WEIRDLY Kanu playing for Nigeria in the 1998 world cup, they lost but he was astonishingly good in the flesh that day, really stuck in my head.

But probably actually Romario, he must have been getting on a bit (this was 1999) he was playing for Santos I think in a cup semi final against Botafogo in the maracana, he was absolutely on a different planet, a true magician. Wish I had managed to see him in his prime.

Â