Views From Villa Fans For Liverpool Supporter's Website Article

macca888

Hi all,

Fellow football supporter coming in peace! As you know, Liverpool are playing Villa on the 30th of March. My Liverpool supporters’ forum Red And White Kop ( http://www.redandwhitekop.com/ ) do a feature before every match asking our fellow supporters their views on the coming game for an article on our site. So what I’d really appreciate is if a couple of you Villains would give me their answers to the following few questions. If you could also state in your replies that I’ve got your permission for me to post the answers on our website, that would be fantastic!

To the moderators, Limpid given me permission to post this on here thanks.

Thanks for your views and for taking the time to help me out.

Sean

There’s lots of similarities between our clubs this season; a new young progressive manager with their own brand of football, teething problems bedding in the new style of play, over reliance on younger players being rushed through and playing too many games, and most of all, American owners with long pockets and short arms.

1. So how do you feel this season has gone for you so far? What are your feelings about the present state and direction of your club and how do you rate the boss and Randy Lerner?
  2. You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?
  3. Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you? And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?
  4. How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?
  5. On to the game now, and firstly, who are the form players and danger men we need to look out for and which of our players are you not looking forward to playing against? Which of your players are we best targeting if we want a win, and which of our players do you think will help you out with a poor performance?
  6. In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

​And now for a few off the wall questions. Well I never promised I was Geoff Shreeves!

1. There’s a new Pope in town now. If he could throw out a few miracles on request, what ones would you ask him to perform for the team and for Paul Lambert and why?
  2. Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?
  3. The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?
  4. And finally, your realistic and honest predictions for the score.

Thanks again for your help, it’s much appreciated. Once the article is up and running on the site, I’ll send you a link for you to have a
read if you would like.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks and good luck for the game and for the remainder of the season.

Hi macca888. I'll give it a go. BTW its VILLANS, not Villains lol.

1. Being realistic, the season has pretty much gone the way we expected. Theres been a heap of problems running right through the Villa for a couple or three seasons now and there was never going to be a quick fix. Randy Lerner divides opinion tbh, mine included, but there are one or two signs that bringing in Lambert might be one of his better contributions. Where we're going, who knows and we still might go down, but any Villa fan will tell you there is a very tangible feeling of unity around the place......and thats something which there has'nt been for a long long time down B6.

2. I'm hoping we'll avoid the drop, of course...thats a no-brainer. We still need three wins I reckon. As for next season, I think it will certainly depend on keeping the side together, but you can never rely on Mr Lerner not to flog off the family jewels (Barry, Milner, Young and, obviously, Downing). If we do and PL is given the necessary funds to bolster up our shoddy defence, then I think we'll raise our own particular bar a few places. We won't set the league on fire, but I expect us to consolidate, if nothing else.

3.Benteke has been an incredible buy for us and will most likely sweep the board. And Weimann has developed a good understanding with the big guy, so his game has vastly improved this season. He's very hard-working and passionate, but I also believe he loves playing for the club. The worst, if you count out those languishing on the sidelines, I would have to say is Bannan......although, again, he's another one that divides opinion on the boards. For me, he's too lightweight, tries too many Hollywood passes and should'nt be a million miles near a set-piece. Championship player at best.

As for Liverpool. I'm not sure. Naturally, Suarez is your most exciting player, but he can be saint AND sinner. And I would think you'd have to say Sterling has definitely put his mark on things this year. The worst? Carragher (just joking)....actually there were one or two calls from Villa fans to offer him a deal to shore us up, but I imagine the guy will be there till  someone finds him years from now in a closet, covered in cobwebs. Great club man.    

And who would I have in our team? Coutinho, but you buggers beat us to that one (as if he was ever going to come to us).

4. Liverpool 1 Villa 3? All of the above, I suppose. I definitely think teams have to take their chances at your place, but I don't think its as simple as your lot having a night off. We ARE in the process of reconstruction, like yourselves,  no matter what anyone thinks and this result was one of those occasions where everything conspired to give us three valuable away points. It always annoys me when fans say 'argh, we should have murdered you'......because if you don't put away your chances, you don't win the game. We did and thats about all you can say.

5. As to the game, hmm? I don't know who you should be aware of, because if they are switched on you will see a different Villa side than of recent. Obviously, Bentekkers has to be your major worry because he frightens the shite out of defenders, but Weimann could be your undoing. Our weakness is'nt a great secret, its our rickety defence and needs serious work during the summer, but I imagine Rodgers will already be well aware of that.

Who should we be worried about? Suarez, maybe, especially if he gets within diving distance of the box (ooh controversial lol), but joking apart, I would expect a tough game from any of them. Weaknesses, very possibly, will depend on our forward line......they have pace and WILL be at you on the break.

6. Tactically, you need to kidnap our goalkeeper because he's in some form (did you see THAT save against Samba?). Apart from that, we are improving but not perfect at the back so I would imagine it could be a long 90mins for some people.

OFF THE WALL.

1. Miracles!! A clean sheet or two might do for a start. And I'd like him to fix us to sign the next Messi on the cheap (given his geographical connections).

2. Lookalikes? Bit easy that one.......Barry Bannan IS Bilbo Baggins.

3. I'm not completely sold on Brendan Rodgers tbh. The Liverpool hot seat is a difficult one to fill and he'll always be under more pressure to succeed than Lambert at Villa, so I think he would be favourite to cut up rough. But don't underestimate the quiet ones, only at your peril.

4. 0-2. Our home form has always been the issue this season and I'd rather play you at Anfield tbh, any day.

Hope that helps. Feel free to post.

1.So far the season has been a dark thing, with patches of light. I think a lot of Villa fans, myself included were so delighted to see the back of the Scottish manager that we were overly optimistic. The style of play has been much better, the attitude of the players better, and the teamwork better. But there have been so many basic errors and large spells of utter cluelessness while the whole direction and ethos of the club (hopefully) gets sorted out, that clearly the task was mcuh bigger than anticipated.

I rate lambert - he's not perfect, but he's good, and he's no doubt getting better. Whatever happens I hope he stays. As for Randy, the heady of days of the first few years are gone, but he stull puts money in, and he's wised up in many regards. He's alright by me, though I wish the club would talk to us as people.

2. Stay up. That's the be all and end all. Hold on to the good players like Benteke, Weimann, Guzan and so on, and build from a much stronger place than we were a year ago. my fear is we're still going to go down.

3. Players of the season - best player Bradley Guzan. Benteke and Westwood have been very good, Most improved Andi Weimann. Flops - Dunne - not payed a game. Shay Given - started off in goal, had a stinker, dropped for all but cup games. Darren Bent - not interested in my view and Stephen Ireland - flakier than ever. As for Liverpool - Suarez was a one man team surely for half the season. Downing's started playing well lately. I wouldn't like to comment on your worst. Of the three - Van Persie, Bale or Suarez I'd have none. They're all cracking players, but out problems aren't up front. They're elsewhere. Gerrard or that type is what we need.

4. You've answered your own question "Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on...Benteke (and others) played like a man possessed...Liverpool were poor"

5. Gabby, Benteke, N'Zogbia if he's "at it" and Weimann. ANy of your players who can exploit space and move well, losing defenders - so Suarez then. And anyone who can head the ball, or play down our left.

6.If we defend properly, we'll get at least a point. It's that simple.

1. So how do you feel this season has gone for you so far? What are your feelings about the present state and direction of your club and how do you rate the boss and Randy Lerner?

Urgh. The season's been a nightmare if we're being honest. The present state of the club is poor. However, I do believe we have a good manager in Lambert and, assuming he's backed appropriately, we should have a much brighter future. I think Lerner has made it clear, however, that the kind of spending needed to get into the top 4 and beyond isn't going to come under him (or it's unlikely).

2. You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?

Obviously survival this season. 2 more wins shoudl do it, assuming we scrape a draw here or there. Next season I'd like to see no players sold, and some sensible investment to build on what we've got.

3. Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you? And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Best players for us: Benteke, Weimann and Guzan. Most improved Guzan too I think. He was always solid, but this season he's been spectacular. Flop of the season would probably be Joe Bennet, although that's harsh as he's a youngster. But he's crap :)

For you guys, your best player by a country mile is Suarez. I'd say your biggest flop this season has actually been Reina. Everytime I see him these days he looks a liability. I think it's an area you guys need to address if you're going to get back to where you once were (hands off Guzan). Most improved? Dunno really, Downing maybe (only becaus ehe was totally shit last year)

4. How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

I wouldn't say we got lucky, but we were fortunate to not go a goal down early on. But from then on we put in one of our best performances of the season. benteke and Weimann were wonderful that day

1. On to the game now, and firstly, who are the form players and danger men we need to look out for and which of our players are you not looking forward to playing against? Which of your players are we best targeting if we want a win, and which of our players do you think will help you out with a poor performance?

Benteke has the ability to cause any team i nthe league problems. Weimann is on some great form and his pace will cause you problems. Guzan is on fire so expect goals to be hard to come by and take a look at Westwood for a very tidy player who's very much underrated at the moment.

2. In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

Defence, basically. GOing forward we've got enough about us to score a goal or 3. But we are notoriously shaky at the back. Vlaar returning has given us that bit extra. Not so much for his ability because he isn't amazing, but for his experience and leadership/organisation. If our defence can hold then we've got a good chance. But it's capable of being awful, and with a player like Suarez lurking around there's potential for a rout if we're not on our game.

​And now for a few off the wall questions. Well I never promised I was Geoff Shreeves!

1. There’s a new Pope in town now. If he could throw out a few miracles on request, what ones would you ask him to perform for the team and for Paul Lambert and why?

All I'd ask for is 10 more points.

2. Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?

Brendan Rodgers and David Brent, obviously

3. The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?

I admire Rodgers purely as a manager. i think he's very good. But as a bloke, the guy is an absolute tool. he comparison to Brent above being the main reason. He makes me cringe more han anyone in football.

So I'd back him for the win, purely because his pre fight speech would torture Lambert into submission.

Although Lambert would obviously pick himself up and go again.

4. And finally, your realistic and honest predictions for the score.

3-2 to Liverpool, unfortunately.

So how do you feel this season has gone for you so far? What are your feelings about the present state and direction of your club and how do you rate the boss and Randy Lerner?

**** terrible.  Lambert has only shown glimpses of the ability/reputation for which he was hired, a marked improvement is needed next season provided we stay up. Lerner's continued absence/silence coupled with seemingly unending austerity measures leave me with little confidence over the direction of the club and even less about his stewardship.

You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?

Survival by any means this season.  A strong start is an absolute necessity for the next campaign.

Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you?

Best player is a straight tie between Guzan and Benteke.  Guzan has probably saved us as many points as Benteke has won.  A nod to Ashley Westwood, who has taken a huge step-up to this level and often provided a metronomic presence to which the rest of team can tick.

Flop of the season could be shared amongst any number of players.  Whatever agenda might be at work behind the scenes, bottom line for Darren Bent is he has been (rightly) ousted from the team by a youngster playing his first season outside of Belgium.  Ireland and N'Zogbia have both flattered to deceive, though pockets of form from the latter have prevented N'Zogbia from being the complete write-off Ireland is seemingly destined to be.  Amongst the youngsters signed in the summer, Bennett has arguably had the most difficulty adapting to life in the Premier League, but has shown some promise.  As for the rest of the new recruits, El Ahmadi and Holman have both stuttered.  Shay Given's poor form at the Euros carried through to the start of the season and he was deservedly dropped.  More pressing concerns surround Ciaran Clark and Barry Bannan; though admittedly both have had to endure a lot more playing time over the past couple of seasons then would have likely been asked of younger players had more experienced options been available, their performances over this campaign have frustrated more often than not and have raised questions over their ability to perform consistently at this level.  Finally, Ron Vlaar's injury problems as opposed to performances have been a source of great frustration.

For improvement, Fabian Delph is starting to at least resemble the player we spent a considerable amount of money on.  Nathan Baker has looked more dependable than his defensive peers at times, and has made a strong case for a starting CB slot alongside Vlaar.  Weimann is probably the standout, adapting to a wider role and coupling his tremendous workrate with a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time.  His presence seemingly augments Benteke, and it will be bitterly disappointing if the partnership they are forming is broken up sooner rather than later.

And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. 

On the outside looking in, Pepe Reina's transformation into the new Heurelho Gomes is seemingly complete.  As much of a complete weapon as he is, Suárez is having a very impressive campaign.  Not sure on improved, though regular football for Daniel Sturridge will reap rewards, and Coutinho looks more likely to justify his price tag than Downing/Henderson/Carroll ever will.

Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Probably Van Persie, as his is the face I have the least desire to punch repeatedly out of the three.

How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

Combination of Liverpool's profligacy in front of goal, a rare display of competence in weathering the initial onslaught by our defence and Benteke and Weimann performing to the peak of their abilities at precisely the right time to put the game out of reach.

On to the game now, and firstly, who are the form players and danger men we need to look out for and which of our players are you not looking forward to playing against? Which of your players are we best targeting if we want a win, and which of our players do you think will help you out with a poor performance?

An in-form and on-fire Benteke could potentially have Skrtel Flakes for breakfast, washed down with a glass of Agger Juice.  Both our left and right flanks have looked susceptible of late, and I don't fancy playing Suárez or Coutinho at the moment.

In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

If Westwood can put in the same performance he did at Anfield and help win the midfield battle, I fancy our chances.  Best tactic for Liverpool would be to keep hitting the flanks.

There’s a new Pope in town now. If he could throw out a few miracles on request, what ones would you ask him to perform for the team and for Paul Lambert and why?

I won't ask for much, simply to survive this campaign.

Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?

Impudent whelp!  Brad Guzan does not look like other people; other people look like Brad Guzan.  Though Benteke doesn't look like Eliza Dushku, I have masturbated to images of them both an equal amount this season.

The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?

Rodgers seemingly relishes the role of 'Grand Apologist for Cheating' required of all Liverpool managers, so I'd wager him for the sand-throw.  Lambert's lack of defensive nous means he'd likely try and counter the sand-throw with his own face, though through sheer luck in his blinded haze he would invoke his animality, transform into a Bentekasaurus and simply eat Rodgers.

And finally, your realistic and honest predictions for the score.

2-2.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

The direction of the club is not in doubt. We've been getting progressively worse since MON left, though he takes some of the blame for the state he left the club in. You could draw comparisons between our club and the UK economy - we overspent in the good times and are struggling heavily in the 'austerity' era. What are the growth prospects? Average at this stage. I rate the manager and I like what he's trying to do but football is ultimately about money these days and it remains to be seen if the owner will back us (more prudently) again. Unlike some I think his heart is in the right place but he has seriously mismanaged the club, not least by appointing McLeish last year which still staggers me.

1. You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?

This season: Survival - simple as that. Next year, I hope we can build the squad a bit and finish halfway up. Hardly lofty ambitions but it'll take some time to get us back to the right end of the table again. I think if we keep Lambert and play smart we can do it but it's not an overnight fix.

1. Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you? And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Best: Benteke and Guzan // Most improved: Weimann // Flop: Stephen Ireland (again). For you, Best: Suarez, Most improved: Downing, Flop: Reina (always been overrated IMO)

I'd take Bale in my team but I'd back Suarez for player of the year (even if he is a tosser)

1. How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between.

I actually thought Liverpool started the game really well but got complacent and left themselves wide open. Can't do that against us. We can't defend for toffee but we've got good players up front, Weimann and Benteke especially.

1. On to the game now, and firstly, who are the form players and danger men we need to look out for and which of our players are you not looking forward to playing against? Which of your players are we best targeting if we want a win, and which of our players do you think will help you out with a poor performance?

Weimann, Benteke, Agbonlahor and Westwood are all in good nick. I'm concerned about Suarez and Gerrard, obviously, and Coutinho looks decent. Clark and Vlaar are suspect for us at the back, Clark especially, so here's hoping Suarez has an off day.

1. In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

Just keep the ball and you'll create chances - but so will we. The winner will be the team that takes them.

Miracles? Sheikh Mohammed el-lotsakash. Sadly that's the only way to compete now at the level we used to.

1. Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?

Stephen Ireland looks like Abe from Abe's Odyssey and plays like him as well. Martin Skrtyl and Benteke don't really look like anybody in particular, but both look like they might potentially eat your newborn.

1. The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?

Lambert. Firstly he always beats Rodgers and secondly Rodgers is too idealistic for that sort of tomfoolery.

1. And finally, your realistic and honest predictions for the score.

I think it'll be a draw. 2-2.

The season's been disappointing in that we've been flirting much too closely with the relegation zone than I had hoped. The 8-0 loss to Chelsea was extremely damaging to the team's confidence, such that we've only recently begun to pull ourselves out of the downwards spiral. That said, provided we do stay up this season (and that's not a guarantee yet, but I'm hopeful, more hopeful than I was a couple of weeks ago), I think the club is on course to start rebuilding from the bottom up, in a fiscally responsible way. I like Lambert although he hasn't quite been the miracle worker I'd hoped he would be. Lerner, well -- I know he's not crazy popular, but I think he's on the right track getting the club to live within its means. We don't want to become the next Portsmouth or Rangers.

1. You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?

This season, avoid relegation, of course. Next season, get rid of some of the dead weight (Given, Bent, Ireland, etc.) and ease our wage bill, then bring in some quality to shore up the defense, and mid-table with a decent cup run or two.

1. Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you? And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Best player: Guzan and Benteke. Most improved: Weimann. I'll also put in a good word for Matt Lowton. Flop of the season: this is unfair because I think he's got potential but he's nowhere near ready for the Premier League yet: Joe Bennett. Your best: Suarez. Your most improved: probably Enrique. Flop: Joe Allen is looking like kind of a waste of 15 million. I'd take Bale, for the same reason Gareth chose Van Persie.

1. How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

We got lucky that in the times you cut us open in the first half you squandered your chances, and we rode that luck. Suarez had an off-day. But our attacking was quite quite good that day.

Everyone's saying Benteke, but I think Agbonlahor and Weimann may do the most damage, especially if you've got Carragher at the back. He can't cope with their pace. Suarez is always a worry for your side. Our defense has made a lot of errors this year, but let's be fair, all of Carragher, Agger, Skrtel and Reina have plenty of mistakes in them too, and if we pressure them and don't let them play out of the back we will score goals. It's really just a matter of whether you will score more.

1. In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

Our left side is a big worry. Likewise Clark is always liable to make some monumental error. And we're still crap at defending set pieces.

8 more consecutive wins. No inuries to our international players, particularly Guzan.

1. Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?

Jay Spearing looks like Shrek, I don't know if he's still with you guys or if he's been sold to Bolton (I think he's just on loan).

1. The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?

Lambert. PatrickCousens had the best possible answer here.

1. And finally, your realistic and honest predictions for the score.

I hate score predictions. I'll go with a 2-2 draw also but it really could go any way at all.

1. Awful season, embarrassing beyond belief. We are a club in freefall.

2. Avoid relegation. A new owner.

3. Best villa : Guzan, improved : Weimann, worst : Ireland

Best pool : Suarez, improved : Downing, worst : Shelvey

Bale.

4. Freak result

5. Benteke / Suarez

6. Midfield/Defence, counter attack .

7. Someone buys Ireland

8. Skirtel - Voldamorte

9. Pass

10. 1-2

So how do you feel this season has gone for you so far? What are your feelings about the present state and direction of your club and how do you rate the boss and Randy Lerner?

So far it's been worse than I expected, honestly didn't think we'd have any concerns about finishing lower than last season's 16th place. Lambert still intrigues me, I like his work in the transfer market, it's a different style to one we've seen at Villa in the last few years. As for Randy Lerner, he's no businessman, it's obvious he inherited his wealth.

You’ve had a couple of good wins recently against Reading, West Ham and QPR. What are you hoping for the remainder of this season and going forward into next season?

I'm praying, praying we stay up. I still fear it will be Championship football next season though, I can see Wigan overhauling us, given that they've got a game in hand and still have to play us at their place. Next season I would love to be a PL team, and one not embroiled in a relegation battle.

Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you? And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved. Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Best: Benteke. Most improved: Weimann. Flop: El Ahmadi.

Best: Suarez. Most improved: Brad Jones. Worst: Lucas.

I'd take Bale.

How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money, Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

Didn't see the game, only the MOTD highlights. From Villa fans accounts, sounds like we could have been 2 or 3 down early on, but managed to stay in the game one way or another and were very clinical.

On to the game now, and firstly, who are the form players and danger men we need to look out for and which of our players are you not looking forward to playing against? Which of your players are we best targeting if we want a win, and which of our players do you think will help you out with a poor performance?

Dreading facing Coutinho, small, skillful operator.

Our only goal threats are Benteke and Weimann, but they are major threats.

I'm hoping Downing has an unhappy return.

In what areas of the pitch do you think the game will be won or lost for you, and what tactics do we need to employ to beat you and get our revenge for the match at Anfield?

Our midfield will have to play very well to stop Coutinho and Gerrard running the show, a big ask for them. You just need to get those two on the ball plenty and feed Suarez.

There’s a new Pope in town now. If he could throw out a few miracles on request, what ones would you ask him to perform for the team and for Paul Lambert and why?

A takeover and the back of Randy Lerner.

Lookalikes now. Brad Guzan, hero goalie or the boss eyed bloke off Dragon’s Den? Nathan Baker, full back or bloke from Thor with shorter hair and no beard? Any other lookalikes you can think of from either yours or our team?

The game is more and more about managers and styles these days. So let’s say Brendan Rodgers v Paul Lambert were to have a Mortal Kombat style fight. Which one is most likely to throw sand in the eyes and kick his opponent in the family jewels to get the win and why?

Lambert has a trick or two up his sleeve I fancy.

Villa 0-2 Liverpool

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

Hello ..

Welcome dear Macca .. 

Well .. It was predictable in the very begining .. Then after that we found our self's aiming for more .. until we were smash by Chelsea, Tottenham and Wigan in row .. That was another flip in the season .. I think the earlier we secured our survival would be the best for us this season and the main goal .. Because of the re-building ..

Hmmm .. Well .. For me , I wish to have 6-9 points in the coming three games .. That would let us breath better and also think of a better rank and position and ending of the season  .. Then try to make Benteke , Weimann , Westwood and Guzan to stay .. + All good players .. And try to think of player who we want to attrac in the summer ..

1-Between Benteke and Guzan .. 2-Andi Weimann .. 3-Maybe Bent , Although I don't think it's his fault .. It's due to our system and the player position ..

For you .. Well .. I didn't see a lot of games .. But Ofcourse I think 1-Suarez , 2-Not sure and 3-not sure also ..

For me I will take Gareth Bale .. Then Suarez .. Finally Robin Hood .. Because we already have a good striker .. Suarez offer something else .. Bale is super winger and also behind the striker !

1. How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money,  Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

Well .. I was at the game .. It was good for us that Liverpool havn't scored in the beginning .. That gave us much confident to push on .. Defenders were great that day .. And as I remember Guzan was too !

Ok .. For us .. I think Benteke is the most dangerous .. Andi and Gabby have some too .. N'Zogbia I think we must start him .. 

For you .. I think Suarez , Sturridge and Gerrard are the most dangerous and frightening ..

For us .. Our defenders .. Always give some easy mistakes which costs us a lot !

For you .. I think Reina might be the one .. Although I'm not really sure if he got better now or not ?!

Hmmm .. I think if the defender could be in their day and try to cover very good .. Especially when you see those frightening Liverpool players .. If we could secure them .. Our strikers might do something .. 

We might have a chance to get something of the game .. Although Liverpool are always one of the most dangerous teams and could anything even if they're out of form ! Hope we could win !!

And welcome again ..

AbdulAziz .. a Villan from Saudi Arabia !

I'd just like to say a great big thank you to everyone for helping out here. There's been some brilliant responses and it's nothing less than I expect from a decent fanbase like yours! I can say this now you've helped me out because i didn't want to say it beforehand in case you thought I was just trying to curry favour with you, but I've always had a soft spot for Villa since I watched you winning the European Cup in 82 as a youngster with three Scousers in your team. For those of you old enough to remember Kenny Swain (in an era of bad perms, his was truly outstanding), his mum and dad moved from Birkenhead to Liverpool and lived in my street. Whenever he came to see them, he'd always have a knockabout with us kids. How many people can say they've played 3 and in with a European Cup winner?  :)

So good luck with the game (but not too much!) and the rest of the season in particular. For my money, it'll be QPR, Reading and my outside choice for the third spot will be either Sunderland or Southampton who will go down. Both of their run-ins look absolutely horrendous for them, and I just can't see where they'll get the points to take them over the 40 point line. I think  the match between them on the second to last weekend will decide who stays up and who goes down.

To the mods, thanks so much for letting me have access to your forum. I've got more than enough replies to compile a decent article now, so if you would prefer to lock this thread that would be fine. Hopefully if it's ok with you, I'll keep my membership open and come back next season to do another one? 

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 2

To the mods, thanks so much for letting me have access to your forum. I've got more than enough replies to compile a decent article now, so if you would prefer to lock this thread that would be fine. Hopefully if it's ok with you, I'll keep my membership open and come back next season to do another one?

I'll leave it open so that you can link the article when it's done. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

The article has gone live on our site. Feel free to have a look at it here  http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=304624.0  It seems to be going down well with our members.

Obviously it had to be edited down a little to make it more condensed, but where I've included one of your responses, I've tried to keep the spirit of your answer but just a bit shortened. Unfortunately I couldn't keep everyone's answer for every question, so I've tried to make sure I've given you all a decent chance to get your views across. I'm really happy with the over all feel of the article and I think it's great credit to you Villans, but If anyone is unhappy with  any of the editing I've done, please let me know and I'll do my best to change it.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Have a happy Easter and good luck with the run in (after Sunday  :D  )

Sean

Slightly worse than I had expected. I had looked for say 14th and we might still get that but to be so low down the table for so long has been a bit of a shock. The direction of our club is downwards but I hope not quite down. Randy has done a great deal for the club but he spends little to no time at Villa Park now and although he has appointed the right manager he has not backed him.

Enough points to stay up. If we do maintain our status not being in a relegation fight next season would be nice and if we do not, coming straight back up as champions (although that will be a tough one to achieve).

Players of the season awards being talked about in the press all the time, so who has been your best player of the season so far, who has been your most improved and who do you reckon is the flop of the season for you?

Benteke, Guzan and Bent's strange fall from goal machine to bench warmer.

And the same thing for our team, who do you think are our best, worst and most improved.

Gerrard is still on his day your best by a distance and has been for some time now. I think Downing has at last shown some signs of the player he was with us before he decided it was time to leave almost as soon as he had shed the crutch he limped into Villa Park with to sign for us and having pledged himself to us shortly before moving to you (not that I am bitter about that). Your worst player is something you will know better than I and I hope he gets a game on Sunday!

Finally on this subject, who would you choose to have in your team given the chance, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez?

Bale - the money would come in handy this summer.

How do you think the match at our place in December turned out in such a comprehensive victory for you? Paul Lambert got his tactics spot on that day, Benteke played like a man possessed, Villa got lucky with a smash and grab raid, we were too embarrassed to play you once we saw Lerner’s pockets bulging with his £20 million Downing money, Liverpool were poor, or somewhere in between?

Even Liverpool lose home games (more often now than in the past). You started well and then folded after we hit a purple patch. It was not a good point in your season and you lacked confidence once we went ahead to come back.

I think after the game at Anfield you already know our danger men! Gerrard and the hand of Suarez will be dangers to us as will Downing who I guess might well choose to celebrate should he put one in. I think our respective scouts will have picked out the weak links in both teams and I doubt if either of us would want to help the other by pointing them out here and the same applies to the tactics you might need to use...

I think the Pope has bigger fish to fry but staying up and a return to the glory days of the late 70s and early 80s when English clubs ruled in Europe might be one that would suit us both (and Forest).

Skirtel really is Voldamorte!

Lambo is from Glasgow don't you know?

I think you will do well to get 0. Seriously we need the win and might just get it on current form but a draw would be what I would guess at but it is really too close to call.

Edited by John

Wow, a decent Liverpool fan !

Surprising. 

I got banned from RAWK just for supporting England.

I've never ever known anyone being banned for supporting England. In fact there's a very specific club v country thread on the main Liverpool forum and an England thread on the General Sports forum that encourages discussion from supporters of the national team. If you let me know what your username on RAWK was and when you were banned, I'll look into that with our moderators for you mate.

Cheers.

Â