Champions League/Europa League quarter-final draws

AVFCforever1991

Dortmund were one minute away from doing the double over Real Madrid in the group stages.   They still took four points off of them. 

Dortmund were one minute away from doing the double over Real Madrid in the group stages.   They still took four points off of them. 

Madrid were pretty poor back then in fairness. They have upped their game since CHristmas and if Dortmund play like they did vs Malaga they will be punished.

2nd leg in Madrid helps too

Absolutely true, but Dortmund will go into the tie with no fear.  

I'd like to see any final except for Barcelona - Madrid.   I'd have liked to have seen that at one point, but given that the clubs have played each other about 812 times in the past two years I think something else would be more interesting. 

I'm in the same boat.

No doubt a Barca - Madrid final would still be really good, but it doesn't carry the same excitement as it would have done a few years ago.

I'd like to see Dortmund there but I reckon it'll be Bayern vs Real

I'd certainly rather see Spain vs Germany as opposed to two teams from the same nation.

Edited by Stevo985

im the other way round, would want to see a classico final, jose's last game, madrid's current form against them, one off game etc, really didnt want 2 more games in the semi though

would love to see an all german final but IMO its the best possible draw, really cant predict anything from here

By the way, I was exaggerating when I said 812 games, but only slightly.  If the Champions League final is a Clasico then it will be the 18th Classico in three seasons.  A fixture loses a lt of it's edge if it gets played as frequently as that, even if this one is the final of the big cup. 

t04k4xg.png

Edited by The_Rev

then Mourinho will bugger off to earn/spend millions at another club.

You say that like everyone else 'up there' doesn't do it too :)

I'd love to see Dortmund make the final, but I can't see them repeating their earlier results against Real.  I would bloody love it if they did, though, and they'll give it a damned good go.  A win in the first leg would be huge.

Most people seem to be predicting that Bayern will beat Barça, and I can see why.  However, it seems that Barcelona (and the same could be said of the Spanish national team) tend to remind everyone how good they still are when it seems like their dominance may be on the verge of slipping away.  Barcelona's defence will a major concern, though, and Bayern are more than capable of exploiting that.  Barça will need to play at their best: keeping possession, pressing high up, but also attacking in a swift and clinical manner as often as possible - something which has seemed lacking at times (second leg vs. PSG) but also has been done with great effectiveness recently (second leg vs. Milan).

After the relatively inept performance in their last Champions League outing, I've seen many labelling Barça as over-dependent on Messi, or even a 'one man team'.  This is generally not the case, but Messi is clearly the best player in the world and is key to Barça sustaining their dominance.  He'll be back and hopefully fully fit against Bayern, in front of the best midfield in world football.  As I mentioned before, it's the defence that will be the concern.

As for a Barça - Real final, I still think it would be great.  They have played each other a ridiculous number of times over the last few seasons, and although I've still enjoyed watching two giants of the era clash, it's understandable that it's detracted from the magic of each occasion.  I'd like to think that one day I'll be telling my grandchildren about the battle between Mourinho's Madrid and Pep's Barça, and how Messi and Ronaldo, the two best players of their era, were so pivotal in this.  Still, today, though the games do not lessen in significance each time, they don't seem as special.

Then again, taking a step back, we're still looking at a Real Madrid vs. Barcelona Champions League Final.  It could well be Mourinho's last match at Madrid, who are going for the so-far elusive 10th European title, at a stadium with which their rivals have a great affinity.  Barcelona are roughly at their peak (some may argue past it, but I think that remains to be seen).  Either way, the likes of Xavi, Puyol and Villa aren't going to be regularly performing at the highest level for too much longer.  The likes of Valdes and Dani Alves may not be at the club in a year or two, either.  I'd see it as a huge game, almost the culmination of the past three or four years of contests between these two great sides.  Hopefully, if it happens and this is considered, the magic will return on the night, rather than it being looked upon only in retrospect as the Clásico especial that it truly would be.

That said, it'll probably be a Bayern - Dortmund final now.  Which would still be awesome, providing Dortmund win  :D

My concern with Barca is the core of their team has been playing non-stop for a few years. Without Messi they do look a bit, well, tired.

They still have an outrageous amount of quality and can control the ball for fun, but against PSG there were enough signs to suggest a better team (Bayern) can do a number on them.

Real are definitely better than they were in the group stages but Dortmund's dynamic has changed too. Back then, they weren't out of the Bundesliga race and they hadn't just escaped Champions League elimination by the skin of their teeth. They will go into this game with less pressure and a freedom because they're the under-dogs. They were expected to handle Malaga and by their own admission the pressure of that expectation got to them. They won't have that this time around and this competition is all they have left to play for so they can be fully focussed, plus as has been said, they have the knowledge that they've fared well against Real tactically to this point this season. Dortmund are the least heralded of the last 4 but might be all the more dangerous for that, because on their day they are very very capable. I can't wait. Both ties for different reasons are just as fascinating as each other.

• 2 weeks later...
Â