Lego!

Shillzz

I didn't ever have sets per se, my cousins did and they would always have them sprawled out on their bedroom floor.

It never appealed to me to build lego how it was intended. We inherited a huge blue plastic tub of random bits of old lego from the '80s. I loved it, I just built all kinds of vehicles, planes, helicopters, cars with foldable wings. Hours of fun.

Kind of this. I didn't have many sets and instead of my cousins my best friend had lots of them. And we also spread them over the bedroom floor. Always loved the knights and castles. Or to build a small city. :) Nostalgia, ftw.

My little brother has quite a bit of the new stuff. Has a fair few Star Wars sets, Harry Potter, Ninjago, LOTR, Hobbit, even a Spongebob one. The quality of the stuff is pretty amazing, although it's kind of lost something too by doing away with yellow skin for the characters. Spongebob Squarepants actually has an attachable part on top of the body so it's exactly true to the cartoon. Those ones I don't like so much. The Harry Potter ones where they have proper awesome hair or beards attachments, and reversible heads for 2 different expressions, though. Those are fantastic.

I didn't ever have sets per se, my cousins did and they would always have them sprawled out on their bedroom floor.

It never appealed to me to build lego how it was intended. We inherited a huge blue plastic tub of random bits of old lego from the '80s. I loved it, I just built all kinds of vehicles, planes, helicopters, cars with foldable wings. Hours of fun.

Yep, this everytime. I think I did own a few of the sets originally, but they quickly went into the mix with the two other massive buckets of the stuff I had. For me the biggest joy was to create something unique rather than looking through an instruction manual.

My greatest moment was when I attempted to re-create the Universal Studios Frankenstein laboratory for this fella:

Monsters_Web_Frank.jpg

Is it wrong to have the urge to go into the attic and get the Lego out?

Depends, do you want to build with it, or stick it up your arse?

Both, first build a nice big rocket, then sit on. 

sexface.gif

Yep, this everytime. I think I did own a few of the sets originally, but they quickly went into the mix with the two other massive buckets of the stuff I had. For me the biggest joy was to create something unique rather than looking through an instruction manual.

My greatest moment was when I attempted to re-create the Universal Studios Frankenstein laboratory...

Ha, well I didn't ever get anywhere near that kind of scale. I used to have a VHS of the old cartoon Mask, with the vehicles turning into other vehicles? That's what inspired me a lot when I played with lego as a kid. Cars with wings, Cars with wheels that went up into the undercarriage (giggity) and turned into submarines or boats. Then, being a bit of a Star Wars nut, I'd build spacestations and lots of different fighters to defend it. It probably explains why I enjoy time by myself as much as I do. I'm not anti-social by any stretch, I love having friends over and stuff, but I'm not one of these people who get bored easily or uncomfortable on their own, and that, as well as a slight creative streak, I owe to lego.

Edited by Ginko

2j4o6mv.jpg3164zrc.jpg

The first and last things I remember owning.

The lunar lander was cool, but remember being disappointed that the astronauts couldn't fit through the door. The only way even one could get in was in bits, and how did the car get there? These thoughts vexed me as a child.

The later spaceship was neat, the back split on hinges and was cunningly designed to drop and pick up a cargo canister from the floor.

I remember the Cowboy sets they did. Had a Saloon and bank and everything. Thoroughly enjoyed playing with that when I was younger. I too had the Castles and I remember the little white ghost that would turn green in the dark. ooo!

Lego is genius.

Have to say that I preferred it when lego was lego. Bricks to build things with, not ready made things that you just put together, if you know what I mean.

Bang on. I think it was over when they started making these kits with instructions to follow. Lego should just be in big pile and you make whatever your imagination comes up with.

5623_box_in_front%5B2%5D.jpg

• Like 2

Have to say that I preferred it when lego was lego. Bricks to build things with, not ready made things that you just put together, if you know what I mean.

This. As I said elsewhere, I wasn't a big Lego fan due to its "unrealisticness", although I did have some Lego as a kid. 

Our kids had Playmobil instead: 

5135.jpg

5134.jpg

And yeah, the cannons fired. 

Edited by mjmooney

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to legoland in Windsor ?

Is it worth going to ?

yeah, been a few times, it's fine if you've got kids of the right age

stay away from the lego pick n mix shop unless you've got decent access to credit

Â