music to make you feel better

leemond2008

I've been going through a pretty **** rough patch just lately, work is pissing me off, I have absolutely zero money (because of my shit job), people I know dying, people really close to me having pretty major health scares pretty much everything that can get thrown at me has been thrown at me in the last few weeks.

Normally I never let things get to me at all and I can just plod on day by day but this time I found myself feeling really low, haven't been speaking to anyone, I dont think I have held a single conversation with anyone at work in over a week (nothing overly new there but still)

Anyways I woke up this morning the usual thoughts ran through my head and I was pissed off again within about 30 seconds of waking up, then walking to the bus stop I put on the stone roses and almost straight away I had a smile on my face thinking back to good times I've had listening to the album over the last 15 years. I had a spring in my step for the first time in weeks, thinking about the laughs I had at college, the piss ups that we have had in our back gardens with it blasting out, the heaton park gig last year etc etc.

Just made me think how **** powerful music can be and how it can affect your mood, for the time being at least the country music is going to the bottom of the pile and the happier shit is coming out.

Does anyone else have any specific albums they pull out to cheer themselves up when they are **** off with life in general?

• Like 1

I remember being incredibly pissed off about something a few years back. Can't remember exactly what, but probably a girl, work, or Villa, and decided to go to the pub. It was during the day, and there was hardly anyone in there. The jukebox was playing The Red Beatles album, and within about an 15 mins, I was halfway down my pint and smiling again. A combination of Guinness and Lennon & McCartney is now my sure fire way to pull me round, if I get into a bit of a radge.

Obviously the music will vary from person to person, but yes, music is one of the best therapies for depression going. Exercise and sunshine being two others. And personally, I'd add books.

I literally could not imagine a life without music, it is as essential as food and drink for me.

I listen to music for just about everything  .. at work , at the gym , mowing the lawn , cleaning the fish pond ... if I had to change a light bulb I'd probably stick my ipod on first

my tastes are fairly limited , i.e I propably switched off the radio about 10 years ago and never turned it back on  .. but of the stuff i do have (650 + albums) Now and again something will come on that just gives me a shiver down the spine and just make me hit the repeat button  ...

(an obscure B side of theirs ) has something like 100 plays more than any other track on my I-Tunes on the work PC .... the weird thing is it's a very melancholy type track but the build up towards a storming finish is just amazing (imo) and it just makes me feel better whenever I hear it

i caught the end of a re-recording of Please Please me on TV the other week and it ended with Twist and Shout by Beverly Knight (who i confess I've never heard of ) but vocally it's amazing , I'm not a fan of female vocals by and large , but boy does she let rip as the track goes on   ...it worked better on the TV as you could see the energy but here  is the radio link  

oh and a shout to

.... if that doesn't make me feel better  nothing will

majesticcasual, a channel on YouTube, always chills me out and cheers me up.

I'm sure it doesn't pass the VillaTalk Music snobbery test, but it's shilled out funky music and I love it.

A Friday afternoon isn't complete without an hour of that for me.

The opening bars of instantly recognisable, terrible-yet-awesome pop songs from the '90's always cheers me up without fail.  Particulary any containing incoherent babbling, random foreign language or even ducks.  Yes, the worst day can be instantly brightened up upon hearing any one of the following...

*quack quack quack quack quack quack* "Dee-dee-da-da-da"

"Skab-ba-dadla-da-beep-dabop-da-doodlybadabeedlybadadeedlybadaboodlybadadeedlydodo... I'm the Scatman!"

"Mesdames, monsieurs, Le disc-jockey Sash! est de retour"

"Mesdames, monsieurs, Le singes capitulards mangeurs de fromage disc-jockey Sash ! est de retour"

How can any song with French words in it cheer you up !!!!!

Though of course "All you need is love"  is permitted to have a French ditty included as part of it's intro as no words are involved

Edited by tonyh29

I think the basic thing is any music that kind of takes over your consciousness while it's on, and clears your mind of anything that was in it, even just for the minutes it's on, that's the key. Happy, sad, loud, quiet, uplifting, reflective - it doesn't matter to me. Just free my mind, really.

Â