Midweek football 12, 13, 14 March

coda

Indeed, my point was the key 2nd goal shouldn't have counted. Once that went in Milan were never going to stand a chance.

The thing is there was not so much as an appeal for the offside from any of the Milan players.  The commentator didn't call it and there were no comments about it in this thread until it was half time and ITV had mentioned it after watching the goal umpteen times from umpteen angles.  I don't think it was a great injustice. I doubt Milan were even aware of it until after the game.  They were well beaten tonight and I really hope people don't try to make a controversy out of it. 

I don't think it matters though does it? A wrongly given goal is a wrongly given goal whether nobody saw it or all 90-odd-k in the stadium. I think Barca would've gone through anyway because Milan's heads dropped from the 1st goal, but it's still shit.

I appreciate it is a fine line if you decide to bring technology in, and some decisions are much worse than others (see the Edinburgh derby last night)  but my position is that sometimes you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the officials.  It looked offside in a TV replay, it did not look offside at the time.  Even the Milan players who were holding a good line and stepped up didn't appeal so they didn't see it.  I'd rather football flow like it did tonight than have every decision go to a video referee before fans are allowed to celebrate. Seeing tens of thousands of people stare at a big screen for 30-60 seconds before the word "GOAL" is flashed up just takes some of the joy out of the game if you ask me. I've seen it happen in both codes of Rugby and it doesn't make for a better game.   

I do agree with you re: video replay. It's the same with the NFL and it takes some of the excitement out of it. It's just shit when things go against the teams you like in that way. It would've just delayed the inevitable tonight anyway.

That could be an embarrassment for FA. be shocked if got to 40k at Wembley for that

Yeah, but **** the FA and **** the sponsors. The game defers to what they want far too often anyway.  Do we really want a seeded draw just so there can be a Manchester United vs Chelsea final every year?  

• Like 1

Â