Midweek football 12, 13, 14 March

coda

Barca clearly deserved it. Would be nice if they didn't get crucial goal after crucial assists from the none-playing members of the game though.

Abbiati gestures to the referee to book Sanchez for putting the ball into the net.  What a word removed. 

This milan team wouldn't even crack the top four in the BPL

I don't think you can judge them on tonights performance. They are up against a Barcelona side who are firing on all cylinders.  Barca can do this to anybody.   

(PS; what is the BPL?)

It was my brain trying to type Premier League and BL at the same time. 

I am just saying overall, I don't think this Milan team is all that good. 

I watch them basically every week and they'd probably finish about 5th/6th. They're better than the Evertons and Liverpools of the league, probably Arsenal as well. But the current top 4 are better sides.

another bottle job from Milan. they do it too many times in Champions League

Barca were brilliant. Messi is just a different class. Alves can't cross the ball.

you should be on MOTD, you've added one thing that shearer wouldn't know

who Alves is? ;)

Barca clearly deserved it. Would be nice if they didn't get crucial goal after crucial assists from the none-playing members of the game though.

Wha?

Nayson was right. I was wrong. Didnt think barca would pull it off

Messi was offside for the second goal, so it's probably a reference to that.   I'd like to see the Sanchez goal again though, I think he might have been onside despite the linesman's flag going up. 

Indeed, my point was the key 2nd goal shouldn't have counted. Once that went in Milan were never going to stand a chance.

What's happened to Alves in the past 18 months or so? When he first joined Barca he seemed to pick players out in the box for fun. Now it seems like he can't find anyone.

Indeed, my point was the key 2nd goal shouldn't have counted. Once that went in Milan were never going to stand a chance.

What's happened to Alves in the past 18 months or so? When he first joined Barca he seemed to pick players out in the box for fun. Now it seems like he can't find anyone.

alves has always been that bad for me, usually always hits 1st man or over hits it. I remember him at Sevilla and Adriano was always the better crosser of the ball

The thing is there was not so much as an appeal for the offside from any of the Milan players.  The commentator didn't call it and there were no comments about it in this thread until it was half time and ITV had mentioned it after watching the goal umpteen times from umpteen angles.  I don't think it was a great injustice. I doubt Milan were even aware of it until after the game.  They were well beaten tonight and I really hope people don't try to make a controversy out of it. 

The thing is there was not so much as an appeal for the offside from any of the Milan players.  The commentator didn't call it and there were no comments about it in this thread until it was half time and ITV had mentioned it after watching the goal umpteen times from umpteen angles.  I don't think it was a great injustice. I doubt Milan were even aware of it until after the game.  They were well beaten tonight and I really hope people don't try to make a controversy out of it. 

I don't think it matters though does it? A wrongly given goal is a wrongly given goal whether nobody saw it or all 90-odd-k in the stadium. I think Barca would've gone through anyway because Milan's heads dropped from the 1st goal, but it's still shit.

I don't think it matters though does it? A wrongly given goal is a wrongly given goal whether nobody saw it or all 90-odd-k in the stadium. I think Barca would've gone through anyway because Milan's heads dropped from the 1st goal, but it's still shit.

I appreciate it is a fine line if you decide to bring technology in, and some decisions are much worse than others (see the Edinburgh derby last night)  but my position is that sometimes you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the officials.  It looked offside in a TV replay, it did not look offside at the time.  Even the Milan players who were holding a good line and stepped up didn't appeal so they didn't see it.  I'd rather football flow like it did tonight than have every decision go to a video referee before fans are allowed to celebrate. Seeing tens of thousands of people stare at a big screen for 30-60 seconds before the word "GOAL" is flashed up just takes some of the joy out of the game if you ask me. I've seen it happen in both codes of Rugby and it doesn't make for a better game.   

Â