Favourite airlines

Xela

Hmm .. It depends where to where .. Because lets say I went once to from Turkey to London to Aston Villa Vs Newcastle at Villa Park two years ago .. It was somehow bad trip .. But the Turkish itself isn't good ..

So some airlines aren't bad .. But you couldn't judge from a trip ..

I found the Emirates great .. didn't go with the Singapore .. Just 25 Mins with the Qatari .. So I couldn't judge them ..

I went also with the Saudi .. BMI .. Omani .. Khaleej "Bahrain" .. One of Japanese .. One Chinese .. and The African "Ethiopian" .. I'm not sure what else ..

Edited by abdulaziz1

If it wasn't for Ryanair I wouldn't have been to half the places that I have; and that's both because they've been the cheapest and because they've revolutionised the industry bringing everyone else down in price. So I'd have to say that without Ryanair I wouldn't even be able to contribute in this thread and I suspect quite a few of you wouldn't be able either. I remember the days not so long ago when it was £800 to fly from Dublin to London.

Saying that, 'budget' airline prices were the best in about 2006-2008, from my memory.. I remember £40 return flights to Rome and Lisbon on BMI Baby and that included checked luggage etc. Nothing seems that cheap nowadays.. even Easyjet and Monarch to Copenhagen and Malaga respectively last year were about £80 each return.

Saying that, 'budget' airline prices were the best in about 2006-2008, from my memory.. I remember £40 return flights to Rome and Lisbon on BMI Baby and that included checked luggage etc. Nothing seems that cheap nowadays.. even Easyjet and Monarch to Copenhagen and Malaga respectively last year were about £80 each return.

Yep, there's no such thing as a budget airline anymore, fuel taxes and such put pay to that gravy train. When I was looking to go to Paris is September the cheapest I could get that was easyjet at £139 each return without baggage.

I'm flying to the States with US Airways (now merged with AA) later this year. Anyone know if they're alright?

Where are you flying to-from?

I fly us airways transatlantic all the time as there is a charlotte to heathrow direct flight. The new wide body a330-300 is what they fly I think and in economy the service is average at best. The seats are ok, and ife is ok. Apparently in econ you will get free wine with your meal, and free headsets. Both you used to have to pay for.

Here's the top tip of the day though, at t-24hours before the flight you can call and pay an upgrade fee (called goenvoy). If there is any seats open in business. It is absolutely brilliant, lounge access, lie flat seats, great meals and all the booze you can knock back, honestly mate it's worth the extra cash ($500 I think the fee is each way) only do this if its the new envoy though, the o,d one is gash and not worth the money. I've done goenvoy the last 3 flights and you actually look forward to your journey, it's stress free and you arrive refreshed from getting a kip in the lie flat seats.

...On an aside, Iberia seem to have really gone downhill recently; apart from free baggage they are just a budget airline now - you get nothing on your flight. I always resent having to get an Easyjet flight anywhere if there is no alternative as they treat their passengers like shit; you can add Monarch to that list too. I flatly refuse to give Ryanair any of my money!

Ahhh good old Willy Walsh strikes again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Flew Malaysia airlines to KL a few weeks back on their A380

Decent enough food , seat etc but staff were a bit meh .. Usually in business class they take the trouble to learn your name , offer you drinks regularly etc but not in this case .... Didnt have my first choice of meal either

Last night flew Qatar airlines Kathmandu to London via Doha

The seat configuration on the Doha - LHR leg was pretty pants , they operate airbus 340's and the beds whilst going almost fully flat are in a 2-2-2 configuration whereby if you have the window seat you have to climb over the person in the B seat to get in and out , no privacy screen either , BA's club config is front to back so that the A seat can get in and out without disturbing anyone for example and you can put the screen up and pick your nose in piece :)

The bloke sitting next to me climbed over me about 12 times during the flight to go to the toilet and everytime a hostess served him food and drink they obscured my view of the TV screen....

Food was too Arabic concentrated for mu tastes and I wouldn't eat about 80% of what was on offer... Hummus , olives , curry etc (yuck)

The service though is top notch , probably the best you'll receive on a plane , and having a private terminal for business class transfer passengers at Doha is also a nice touch

But just for the seat configs I'd take the BA option over Qatar as the lack of privacy was bloody annoying, more so as the bloke next to me was just a tad annoying ... I'd got my seat flat and was just dozing off when he prodded me in the back and asked how I'd got the seat to recline , picked up my bottle of water by mistake and drunk from it , not the end of the world but a wee bit annoying as I say

Edited by tonyh29

I flew business class on Qatar a bit recently and it was excellent, though I agree about the seats, if you have a window seat.

I loved the food.

Doha is a bit of a shambles at the moment due to rebuilding and that of the terminal we used. I was unimpressed with the shuttle buses that go from one side of the airport to the other.

But I think Qatar and Singapore are the best airlines I've flown with. Never done Virgin though.

Have the "delight" of BA Club to the Caribbean soon (it's a freebie), still think they are missing so much of what they used to be, especially in the non-Eco classes. In SA they have a British Airways subsidiary that still retains the "old style" (Pre Willie Walsh) treatment of passengers. The difference I saw recently flying BA (UK) and then BA (SA) was quite significant 

Think Virgin upper / business class is far better IMO, but beggars and choosers etc 

Agree with Pete re Singapore - superb airline. 

I flew business class on Qatar a bit recently and it was excellent, though I agree about the seats, if you have a window seat.

I loved the food.

Doha is a bit of a shambles at the moment due to rebuilding and that of the terminal we used. I was unimpressed with the shuttle buses that go from one side of the airport to the other.

But I think Qatar and Singapore are the best airlines I've flown with. Never done Virgin though.

Daft thing with the building work at Doha is they have pretty much completed a new airport (its already a couple of years late if I recall ) but can't get a safety certificate for it .... Maybe the plan is to run smaller airlines from the existing one and hence the building work ?

Â