A week in Tokyo

Xela

Hi all,

Thinking of booking a week in Tokyo for about June/July time. Probably go on my own as my mates are either starting families or out of work currently! Tokyo has always been a place I've dreamed about going to so better late than never.

First off... where to stay? If I was going with the lads then no doubt it would be not far from Roppongi! But on my own? Thinking Shibuya or Shinjuku? Anyone stayed in either district? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

We only went for a long weekend ( as you do ) as I had some free flights and it was the furthest i could get on them :-) .... Still had 3 nights though

You've gotta ride a bullet train if you go to Japan ... We took one down to Kyoto ... Mrs H had read all the Geisha books so wanted to see the old town made of wood and the Geishas ... Few nice temples and what not make Kyoto worth a visit and you can tick the train box as well then ...we enjoyed it more than Tokyo if I'm honest

If you fancy it then Book the train from the UK through JAL as you get a tourist price.....

Tokyo tower is worth a visit , can see MT Fuji on a good day and also walk the crossroad from lost in translation :-) a lot of it is just walking about and enjoying the temples and the experience

( look on my Facebook photos and I have a Japan album if you've not already seen it , gives a general feel of the place )

If I had more time id have gone to Mt Fuji , Will def do it on my next visit

We stayed near Tokyo central station , walking distance to most things and easy for getting back to Narita ( though I believe they have a new airport now ?) the station is massive and I seem to recall we got lost a few times trying to find our way to the right exit !!

Edited by tonyh29

Hi all,

Thinking of booking a week in Tokyo for about June/July time. Probably go on my own as my mates are either starting families or out of work currently! Tokyo has always been a place I've dreamed about going to so better late than never.

First off... where to stay? If I was going with the lads then no doubt it would be not far from Roppongi! But on my own? Thinking Shibuya or Shinjuku? Anyone stayed in either district? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

We stayed in Ikebukuro which is a bit of business district however we got a great deal with the hotel when booking through Expedia and got our room upgraded when we arrived too. As Tony mentioned, it's well worth getting the bullet train and if you fancy stopping off at a couple places then the Japan Rail Pass is well worth it, even if it is a bit of a faff booking all of your train journeys when very few people speak much English. 

In Tokyo then I recommend going out to Harajuku and Shibuya on Sundays, it's an interesting experience to say the least. If you do venture out of Tokyo then I strongly recommend Takayama which is up in the Japanese Alps, the train journey there is amazing. We also went to Kyoto, which I was slightly underwhelmed with, Osaka which was a bit more laid back than Tokyo and Hiroshima which, as you can imagine, had a very sombre atmosphere, but strangely was probably the nicest looking city we visited while we were there.

We also went to Kyoto, which I was slightly underwhelmed with,

heretic :)

I just found it more charming that Tokyo .. the golden pavilion ,Todajji temple , imperial palace  .. the wooden houses on the cobble streets  ..not to mention  the fresh air

mind you we spent half a day in Narita before the flight and I thought that was a charming place as well and better than Tokyo

Tokyo has the palace area and we went to a temple / park / market type area but in the main   I guess what i'm saying is a lot of Tokyo could be anywhere , neon lights , Starbucks etc ..where as Koyto and Narita are very clearly Japan and a bit more unique   .. which was why I preferred Koyto , but I don't have a reference of places like Takayama to work with

Edited by tonyh29

We also went to Kyoto, which I was slightly underwhelmed with,

heretic :)

I just found it more charming that Tokyo .. the golden pavilion ,Todajji temple , imperial palace  .. the wooden houses on the cobble streets  ..not to mention  the fresh air

mind you we spent half a day in Narita before the flight and I thought that was a charming place as well and better than Tokyo

Tokyo has the palace area and we went to a temple / park / market type area but in the main   I guess what i'm saying is a lot of Tokyo could be anywhere , neon lights , Starbucks etc ..where as Koyto and Narita are very clearly Japan and a bit more unique   .. which was why I preferred Koyto , but I don't have a reference of places like Takayama to work with

I think my expectations were a little too high. I think I was expecting it to be a bit smaller and less of a functioning city. In my head I was expecting to see geishas on every corner. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite what I had expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Great city , quite amazing.

Ropongi is where the nite life is at and pachinko and rent a dog etc .

Been a few times, love it

Grand Hyatt is the place to stay but it's bloody £££

What's your budget ?

Â