Reading - McDermott sacked

villarule123

first two games for the new manager - Man Utd and Arsenal both away... not a great start!

They're swiftly followed by home games against Southampton and Liverpool.

Regardless of who they get in, I think Reading are doomed.

Ridiculous decision by the Reading board. 

However, I don't feel sorry for McDermott as such. He will have been remunerated very handsomely and will find a new job quickly.

I'm probably not the first to make this observation, but it seems getting promoted from the Championship is actually bad for your job security these days.  Better to stay in the top six every season down there and keep your job then come up and get sacked when (shock horror) your team isn't as good as the rest of the division. 

I'm probably not the first to make this observation, but it seems getting promoted from the Championship is actually bad for your job security these days.  Better to stay in the top six every season down there and keep your job then come up and get sacked when (shock horror) your team isn't as good as the rest of the division. 

Unless you're Billy Davies only for the board come crawling back. 

A part of me wouldn't want McLeish to be appointed there purely on the basis that there's a minuscule chance that he'd keep them up and we'd go down. The media would have a field day.

Edited by Mantis

madness from Reading this is on the same scale of ludicracy when Wolves sacked McCarthy. same time of year as well.

2 mad decisions in 6 weeks maybe the stars are saying we will stay up

Wolves sacking McCarthy wouldn't have actually been that bad a decision if they had actually lined up somebody to replace him.   Mick getting sacked was a knee jerk reaction to the Baggies humping Wolves 5-1 at Molineux. You could argue that Wolves are still in a tailspin because of their inability to handle that result and it looks like they are going to go down again because of it. If you are a West Brom fan it must rank as the greatest derby day win in your clubs history. 

I can see why the board have done it. What do they have to lose now? If they go down it's to be expected, if someone can get them playing better and they stay up it's a bonus.

It's unfair on McDermott but that's football.

This is also where I stand, silly decision but the board probably feel there is nothing to lose.

As I don't use other club forums what was the reading fans opinion of him? Maybe played a part?

Edited by av1

The good news is, we have played them twice. Where-as a new manager might get them going by the time they play Southampton which could help us. 

Although, that changes if we lose to QPR..

I can see why the board have done it. What do they have to lose now? If they go down it's to be expected, if someone can get them playing better and they stay up it's a bonus.

It's unfair on McDermott but that's football.

This is also where I stand, silly decision but the board probably feel there is nothing to lose.

As I don't use other club forums what was the reading fans opinion of him? Maybe played a part?

This is how I feel too.

I don't agree with the decision, but I can see why they've done it. Just desperation really.

They've decided he won't keep them up and the last throw of the dice is to get someone else in.

Sometimes a change of manager gives you a string of good results and that MIGHT be enough to keep them up.

Still a knee jerk decision, and I don't think it will save them and they'd probably be better off keeping McDermott for next season. But I can see why they've done it.

And I won't feel sorry for McDermott. I think his stock has risen enough for him to get a decent job elsewehere. I doubt he'll be out of work long (if he wants)

Exactly, look at the cracking job Big Sam has done with WHU and they are messing him about. Clearly Gold and Sulivan are torn because they want to stay up but also want a reason to get rid of him.

Is he going to be the first manager in the history of the Premier League to leave his job at the end of his contract? (might not be an actual fact).

Is he doing a cracking job though? He had best squad in CHampionship and only got up through the playoffs and they have spent big money. They have played big fee for Modibo Maiga and I think Alou Diarra and he has them playing the reserves

Getting a team out of the Championship at the first attempt is no easy task. They were not the only team in the Championship with a strong squad.

Following that up with a mid-table (looks like) finish the Premier League is, I would term, a cracking job.

I would go with a meeting expectations. The likes of Green, Matt Taylor, Tomkins, Noble, Nolan(on a big contract and big enough fee for that league), Cant Control, Joey O'Brien, Guy Demel, Tomkins and O'Neil is basis a squad that should have strolled the Championship

Â