• Weimann
    • Bannan
    • Westwood
    • Sylla
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • N'Zogbia (for Bannan 71)
    • Bennett (for Baker 78)

The thing we need to stop doing is sitting deeper and deeper as games go on. Can't believe Lambert asks them to do that so must be a combination of inexperience and lack of confidence .

Must be the players naievity. Lambert was going spare in stoppage time telling them to press higher up the pitch.

Much like we took the foot off the pedal going for our 3rd goal. We should have realt had 3. Hopefully it comes in time.

Edited by Kwan

just watched motd

we were lucky to win that, reading should of had a penalty at the beginning and no way was their player offside at the end

as for bakers own goal, cant blame the kid, hes a left footer who was off balance

Someone needs the offside rule explaining. 

• Like 2

Bent eke is the difference between the clubs in the relegation battle no one else has a forward that can change the game like him

I think Le Fondre, Remy, Lambert, Fletcher and Gomez would all have something to say about that

Our fans were LIONS yesterday! We roared the lads to victory! It was so, so loud - at half-time everybody was just bouncing - and at full-time it was like we'd won a cup. Sounds like I'm exaggerating, but that's what it was like.

You could tell how much the win also meant to the players and manager at the end and how much they appreciated the amazing away support.

It is days like this that make me **** proud to be loud, proud and Claret & Blue - whatever division we happen to be in.

Our fans were LIONS yesterday! We roared the lads to victory! It was so, so loud - at half-time everybody was just bouncing - and at full-time it was like we'd won a cup. Sounds like I'm exaggerating, but that's what it was like.

You could tell how much the win also meant to the players and manager at the end and how much they appreciated the amazing away support.

It is days like this that make me **** proud to be loud, proud and Claret & Blue - whatever division we happen to be in.

1000 x this.

Have been waiting for a mention of our amazing support yesterday and this sums it up perfectly for me.

1000 x this.

Have been waiting for a mention of our amazing support yesterday and this sums it up perfectly for me.

I had the (mis)fortune of being in the Reading part of the ground and while the fans were good, they were nothing special in terms of noise etc

I wonder if the acoustics of the ground distort things?

Positive game, and it was totally like I expected it to be. For some reason I have seen Reading quite a few times this season and they are usually very poor in their defensive organization. Luckily, this was the thing against us too, and we created lots of chances and probably should have scored another goal at least. Sure they were a bit dangerous too, but they were the home team after all and some pressure will always come just like we would have had against any other team at Villa Park when trailing. We had everything to play for, we came from two decent games (and losses) against top teams and needed a response from the team, and we got it. If we had reaked in this game and lost 2-0, well, then we would have been down and out. I mean, if you cannot get some chances against Reading in the situation we are in then I would have seriously started to fear the worst. The game showed that we are better than them, and with some players coming off the bench as well we look like a better team than the ones under us.

Guzan - 8

Think he was both commanding and assured when he picked down all those corners and free-kicks, made a few good saves and looked safe

Baker - 5

He is not a left-back, so his performance was a bit shaky at times with strange runs and poor passes. The own goal was a fluke, but he shows passion though

Clark - 6

Decent performance, albeit some rookie tackling and positioning

Vlaar - 8

Very good performance from our best defender. Tackles hard and leads the line well, good slided tackles in vital moments

Lowton - 7

Got up the pitch and won a very important header when we scored our second, cannot ask for more really in terms of attacking contribution.

Agbonlahor - 7

He wanted that ball to go into the back of the net, that's for sure! Otherwise decent, but not great

Westwood - 6

Average, kind of invicible at times although he is the kind of player who doesn't need

Bannan - 6

Feared the worst, but he was decent enough. SHOULD have scored right before Gabby did, those are the chances we cannot afford to miss! He has a lot to learn in terms of making the right decions, and even though he was no at his wackiest, he makes some shots that are never going to hit target every game. I am not one to criticize anyone for hitting and missing, and then learning and scoring 12 goals every season from midfield; but is he such a player? Doubt it!

Sylla - 7

Have to say, positive display from the young enforcer! Made good tackles throughout and kept his passing short and neat.

Weimann - 7

Lots of energy and runs, but lacked the killer instinct in front of goal. Again, he needs to burry a few chances when we are so desperately in need. Served Benteke very well for our first, both the run and pass were ice cold!

Benteke - 8

Took the ball down very well for 90 minutes and showed that he is not just, well, John Carew. Scores a goal and looks dangerous, makes room for others and generally is a very good striker.

Subs:

N'Zogbia and Bennett both OK, the former comes on and creates some trouble and holds the ball up the pitch. Probably should have scored from a Benteke pass, but hit it over the bar. A free-kick he should have done better with, but that can happen when you have just come on the pitch after all.

Conclusion:

Vital win, scored two goals away from home and created more chances. I counted 5 or 6 pretty big ones, which is satisfactory for a team like us. I think we were naive in the end, laying too low and inviting them to hit crosses into our box. Lambert tried to get our line further out, but I think the team was both nervous and tired after 75 minutes. We are better than Reading all over the pitch and there is hope for us in this league, now we can relax a bit more before QPR at home where a win would mean the world to us. I said 4 points is both OK and the bare minimum from these two games, anything else would have been dangerous. However, a win next weekend would suddenly make us clear favourites to avoid the drop from this lot. Kind of realized how much a win means to me, haven't happened a lot this season has it!

• Like 1

1000 x this.

It was unreal at half time and the end of the game we went mental.

Me and my bro were in R32 (home) but just before KO ran up the top and jumped across behind the camera man. He wasn't pleased but we got to sit with the rest of the Villa boys :)

Â