You Learn To Walk Before Running

JohnCresswell

The only thing that will convince a player to move to to a Club like Villa at present is the wage structure and other benefits, which go "hand-in-hand" as proof positive that we're "reaching for the sky". Agents and players these days won't to swallow any bull**** of the glory we expect to achieve.

If offered comparable pay (for comparable ability) with players at the Top6 clubs, they will come to us; especially if they believe they will play more regularly and therefore get more exposure to achieve national selection.

SWP is such a player and I suspect many members on this site will know of others that fit this profile. Before any of you "poo-poo" this fact, why do you think Southgate, Ehiogue and Boetang left us for Middlesboro? It certainly wasn't the weather on Tyneside, their history or the what they had won -it was purely Boro's ambition linked to a much better wage structure than that on offer at VP under Ellis.

Like it or not, if we want real success we must operate an open-ended pay structure related to what the market demands. Unless the "cap" is removed, we've got no chance for getting back to the top. We'll neither attract nor retain the "creme de la creme". And finally, I've not seen any evidence whatsoever that this pay principle has been accepted by Lerner & Co. I sincerely trust that I am grossly mistaken and we are now paying all our boys their market worth; and not hide behind their current contracts.

I've not seen any evidence whatsoever that this pay principle has been accepted by Lerner & Co.

We don't announce our pay principles at all I don't think, and good bloody riddance, look what's happened to West Ham.

I very much doubt we still have a salary cap, especially when you consider what Lerner pays out to the boys at the Browns.

I sincerely trust that I am grossly mistaken and we are now paying all our boys their market worth; and not hide behind their current contracts.

Now do me a favour, we're not just going to offer them more money for the fun of it. I suspect most of them are paid their market worth anyway.

I very much doubt we still have a salary cap, especially when you consider what Lerner pays out to the boys at the Browns.

Too true...

NFL Salary Cap (2006): $102,000,000.00 (for the entire roster, for the entire season)

Converted to UK pounds sterling at today's market rate: £51,773,496

Divided among 20 players and expressed weekly, as if the Browns' wages were given to Villa instead: £49,782/week average wage.

(Of course the NFL's overall yearly revenue is larger, etc., but it's an interesting comparison...)

Â