RIP Hugo Chavez

CrackpotForeigner

‎"We reiterate, our greatest commitment and our greatest solidarity ... for the creation of an independent Palestinian state with the holy city of Jerusalem as its capital."-Hugo Chavez

yep, that's looks anti Israel

It's anti Israeli policy. Very different from being anti-Semetic.

I love this media hate campaign of twisting something someone says to be some sort of racist/genocidal/ignorant thought.

Chavez wasn't a great political leader but he's paved the way. Hopefully someone with a better political mind and Chavez's balls comes into power. South America needs bold leaders that are willing to tell the developed nations to beat it and develop their own economies.a

The days of Europe and North America running the show are over, China has huge control over Africa and South America will hopefully continue giving the West the Bird.

Feel sorry for his family but I'm not particularly saddened by this either. Can't really understand the praise he's getting in this thread.

Thought this was an interesting article on him.

Edited by Mantis

The guy was complicated to say the least. He raised the standard of living of the poor in Venezuela, improved education, housing and health care...he even sold oil at a steep discount to northern US cities, including my own, to people who couldn't afford to pay market price. He was smart and had charisma to burn. But he was also a military strongman who would kill for power, suppress opposition, and cozy up to international despots just to thumb his nose at Uncle Sam. 

He was a one-off, and he'll be remembered as a legend of Latin America. 

• Like 1

He bought a third world country into the developing world. At a price of course, but a price the people were more than willing to pay.

American propaganda aside those that are richest often have the money and the power to shout the loudest, so he was never going to be popular internationally. More importantly, I don't think he cared.

A revolutionary leader, if not always a great man.

RIP.

I'd pretty much agree with the above. As someone also said in this thread hopefully his ideology will outlive his personality cult.

Edited by markavfc40

The days of Europe and North America running the show are over, China has huge control over Africa and South America will hopefully continue giving the West the Bird.

I take it from the tone of your comment that you think this is a good thing then? Presumably you won't be complaining as the relative wealth of the West continues to decrease, living standards fall and the general public finally cotton on that the cushy welfare state of the last 50 years is grinding to a juddering and unaffordable halt. It's easy to sit in the comfort of Western civilisation and cry about feeding the world, but not so easy when the question is 'how do I feed my family'?

I take it from the tone of your comment that you think this is a good thing then? Presumably you won't be complaining as the relative wealth of the West continues to decrease, living standards fall and the general public finally cotton on that the cushy welfare state of the last 50 years is grinding to a juddering and unaffordable halt. It's easy to sit in the comfort of Western civilisation and cry about feeding the world, but not so easy when the question is 'how do I feed my family'?

Well if we can't afford to live our lifestyle unless it is at the expense of four fifths of the world then we really don't deserve it.

China, India, Africa and South America need to be able to share the same standard of living we do, whether that means a raising of standards for them or a lowering for us.

• Like 1

I know this forum is pretty left wing (pretty is probably too weak a word for it) but why the Chavez love in? This was a man that was virtually a dictator and had very little respect for human rights and the rule of law.

Not saying everyone on here is left-wing, but a large majority are and when I say left-wing I mean really left-wing.

Nothing wrong with that of course I just don't understand why people are lavishly praising a dictator like Chavez.

Edited by Mantis

I don't even know the difference between left and right wing. Seriously.

Right Wing is Hitler, left wing is Stalin...

Funnily enough those two dictators were very similar. Just goes to show the more extreme you get the more similarities you can find.

I know this forum is pretty left wing (pretty is probably too weak a word for it) but why the Chavez love in? This was a man that was virtually a dictator and had very little respect for human rights and the rule of law.

Love in is a bit strong. An appreciation for a man who helped bring an end to US control (e.g. killing leaders they didn't like) and bring a lot of good to his country is understandable when it wasn't done with his arse in the air, bent over to the IMF and crew. Clearly he had his flaws  but compared to 'dictators' that plighted that region (US backed or otherwise) he was largely benevolent. He was an autocrat (not an outright dictator, he was elected fairly after all, even if he did control the media) no doubt, and had his flaws, but no more than any US president, frankly, and a whole lot less dangerous that many would have you think.

Plenty I don't agree with though, his stance on Israel and closeness with Iran for example (but again, the West are not innocent in turning a blind eye when it suits them, Saudi Arabia, anyone?). I also think a free market would've helped the middle-classes that struggled while the country was rebalancing. It is a young system, however, and issues will be ironed out in other countries in the region.

So no, not a love in, just an appreciation for a man that stood by his convictions (rightly or wrongly) and did a lot of good to those who needed it and importantly showed that strong social policies do more for the poor than the bullshit trickle-down myth of neo-liberalism.

• Like 2

And yet if he wasn't claiming to be acting on behalf of the poor (but used the same authoritarian methods) he would be vilified on here, and rightly so.

Also let's not forget his militant stance on the Falklands.

Love in is a bit strong. An appreciation for a man who helped bring an end to US control (e.g. killing leaders they didn't like) and bring a lot of good to his country is understandable when it wasn't done with his arse in the air, bent over to the IMF and crew. Clearly he had his flaws  but compared to 'dictators' that plighted that region (US backed or otherwise) he was largely benevolent. He was an autocrat (not an outright dictator, he was elected fairly after all, even if he did control the media) no doubt, and had his flaws, but no more than any US president, frankly, and a whole lot less dangerous that many would have you think.

Plenty I don't agree with though, his stance on Israel and closeness with Iran for example (but again, the West are not innocent in turning a blind eye when it suits them, Saudi Arabia, anyone?). I also think a free market would've helped the middle-classes that struggled while the country was rebalancing. It is a young system, however, and issues will be ironed out in other countries in the region.

So no, not a love in, just an appreciation for a man that stood by his convictions (rightly or wrongly) and did a lot of good to those who needed it and importantly showed that strong social policies do more for the poor than the bullshit trickle-down myth of neo-liberalism.

Bravo.

Â