RIP Hugo Chavez

CrackpotForeigner

Sad news.

My opinions and impressions:

He might have made plenty of mistakes, but I do believe his heart was in the right place.

The masses in Venezuela loved him because he looked after them, although often at the expense of the middle classes and economic growth.

The BBC asked whether he'd be remembered "As a true friend of the poor or a radical-turned-autocrat?". I don't see why you can't be a bit of both. He was fairly unique in that sense.

In a world full of self-serving, money-grabbing, USA-pandering career politicians with no personality he stood out. I'm going to miss him. Hopefully his ideology will outlive his personality cult.

Not big on politics, but all I've ever really hard about him is his anti-semitism and spreading of the hate. If that's true, good riddance.

Well maybe you should do some research before you start spreading hate. The portrayal of him by the Western media has been ridiculously distorted. (I'm not a massive fan of him, but it pisses me off when people simply dismiss him as some crackpot dictator) He's done a lot of good for Venezuela.

Edited by jimmythomas

Not big on politics, but all I've ever really hard about him is his anti-semitism and spreading of the hate. If that's true, good riddance.

Well maybe you should do some research before you start spreading hate. The portrayal of him by the Western media has been ridiculously distorted. (I'm not a massive fan of him, but it pisses me off when people simply dismiss him as some crackpot dictator) He's done a lot of good for Venezuela.

Just did and I'd assumed it was just an instance, but apparently there's long running criticism of anti-semitism by his office and state owned media outlets. Pretty shocking really. He may have done good, but you can't put fear into a group of people within your borders and not have a black mark for it.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Just did and I'd assumed it was just an instance, but apparently there's long running criticism of anti-semitism by his office and state owned media outlets. Pretty shocking really. He may have done good, but you can't put fear into a group of people within your borders and not have a black mark for it.

on a quick 2 minute piece of googly research, the Jewish telegraphic Agency suggests he was ok with Venezuelan Jews but was anti Israel.

I think he's probably done a lot less harm in the world than, say, George Dubya or Blair. Plus of course, he was democratically elected with massive majorities in election with large turn outs three times, all verified as fair elections.

• Like 2

‎"We reiterate, our greatest commitment and our greatest solidarity ... for the creation of an independent Palestinian state with the holy city of Jerusalem as its capital."-Hugo Chavez

yep, that's looks anti Israel

fwiw, an independent Palestine would be a good thing in my opinion

Jerusalem probably needs to be raised to the ground or declared its own free state

No death is good.

On the pros and cons.. A friend from Venezuela recently came back to the UK and once a proud Venezuelan he now refuses to go back due to the state of his country. Interesting. I'm not one to believe a lot of the western world's spin and I've just come back from Venezuela's neighbour ...

But it seems like he wasn't so great. Or possibly always so bad

In my line of work I've met several Venezuelans, and their views have varied. Generally the ones who actually live in Venezuela were fans. I think the ones who lived elsewhere were variously either living elsewhere because of how they found life under HC, or had moved before he came to power and were influenced by relentlessly anti-Chavez US media.

He bought a third world country into the developing world. At a price of course, but a price the people were more than willing to pay.

American propaganda aside those that are richest often have the money and the power to shout the loudest, so he was never going to be popular internationally. More importantly, I don't think he cared.

A revolutionary leader, if not always a great man. Maybe now Venezuela needs to take a slightly different route and take advantage of the international community a little more. But his work should never be forgotten, for better and worse.

RIP.

• Like 1

Â