Looking Ahead: If We Stay Up

maqroll

What do you think the club's plans are if we avoid the drop? Dump the rest of the big earners and continue signing mediocre players on low wages? 

Do we invest the TV money in better quality players on higher wages?

Does Randy sell?

First priority if we stay up ?  - get rid of the high earners and the deadwood :rolleyes:

pretty sure we've had a higher average gate than them in the majority of seasons in the past 10 years or so.

I think they most likely have us beat on that count, too.

I agree with Richard entirely. I think we will sell Benteke and Weimann for a combined fee of around £25m and that'll form our transfer budget for next season. Lambert would need to sign 2 new forwards, 2 new centre backs and at least a decent ball winning defensive midfielder with that.

pretty sure we've had a higher average gate than them in the majority of seasons in the past 10 years or so.

I think they most likely have us beat on that count, too.

Just to put the actual figures for average home gates (league) since Moyes's first full season out there:

05-03-201309-04-28_zpsa27cf6df.jpg

So it's been nip and tuck. We have had slightly more seasons where our crowds were higher, and won hands down in the Lerner era until this season, but the difference has never been more than around 3,500.

I think if we could be regularly challenging for Europe and domestic cups, we could command gates of around 40,000 and the current slump is pretty worrying. Can't see it getting any better next season even if we do stay up.

Why Everton do better than us is more likely, as others have mentioned, down to getting a good pragmatic manager and hanging on to him, an owner who has a realistic and consistent approach to investment which he shares with the manager, a good scouting, buying and selling on policy and a youth scheme that has brought in seriously big money. Rooney and Rodwell brought in £37m without bothering to look at any others..

Edited by briny_ear

Â