Financial figures - year ending 31/5/12

chappy

I wondered about that as well. Along with how you are due £20m interest on £107m - great return!

Thats a good question, especially as the loans are at an interest rate equal to Libor which is less than 1%.

Someone (journalists?) has got some figures wrong somewhere.

• Like 1

Yes, but I see he wrote again yesterday, so maybe I shall send him a mail.

http://astonvilla-views.com/about/

Btw, I am not familiar with the way things are in England with the Companies House (as I a Norwegian), but if it is possible to buy online, i would do that.

Companies house is the site where you can order company information.

I haven't used it for a few years - I think it only used to be a token payment for company accounts/records.

I recognize that without Randy Lerner's £250m+ investment in this club and his gift of  over £100m, we'd be in a world of shit - I'm grateful for that investment.

Thats only your opinion and not a fact.

Ellis could easilly have sold to somebody whom knows how to run a Football club properly, so maybe we wouldent be in the factual world of shit we are in at this moment in time.

And as for gestures.

Instead of waiving interest payments, why did he not give his manager the 17 million during January?

Your absolutely right, it is just my opinion that we'd be in a world of shit. Ellis could have sold to someone better or worse or whatever. I think if we'd suggested someone would buy the club, hand over a £100m of his own money and then borrow us another £100m interest free, we'd have been pleased enough though.

On the choice of the interest over the provision of transfer funds, I'm guessing that getting money and giving up a future dividend over a number of years are different propositions - I guess it's also possible he felt this was a better way of helping the club fulfill his long term aims. I'd have liked to have seen more money in January.

You see, the thing about our owners is that the Villa are like a beautiful old classic car, it takes a fair bit of money to run it and even more if you want to get it into shape - the old owner did just enough so that he could occassionally be seen around town in it, but it was looking a bit ropey and he kept tapping us up for petrol money.

We were all pleased when he sold it to a man who had the money to restore it. The new owner spent lots of money on the car, it looked immaculate and it started to run well enough. Problem was he'd never learned to drive, so every time he took the car out, he'd crash it and we'd be back to square one. He'd put in more money, then he'd crash it again. 

Now, sooner or later something has to break that cycle - either the owner wises up and learns how to drive, or the owner runs out of money and the car goes up on bricks, or the owner sells the car again and we see what our next owner can do. In the meantime, the owner has taken to driving very slowly, very late at night so that he stops hitting things - I guess we've just got to hope he becomes a better driver.

Why should I , or any fan, be grateful to him? Has to be a sick joke surely

Hated the mon era?
sorry I have no clue what this means

I think it means that we (or you) didn't hate the MON era, so we cannot complain.

But then, we all fell for the PR bullocks, didn't realise the chairman was throwing money at something without planning ahead, that he would waste money on poor management decisions, sell our best players. And then not learn from mistakes (Given, 5 year contract) and then when he'd ducked the life out of us, leaving us on the cusp of relegation, he refused to back the manager.

But it's ok, we had the MON era, be thankful.

I didn't hate the BFR era, or the Little era, or the Gregory era, or the GTMK1 era, by that logic does that mean I must be grateful for Ellis ? Obvious poor owner is obvious poor owner

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

He owns a club that owes his family trust some money - he's given up the interest on that money - it's another way for him to effectively put his own money into the club without a demand for a return. I'd imagine that the family trust took a fair bit of persuading to give up another chunk of daddy's legacy on Randy's folly - for me it's a good thing that he's still prepared to take that fight on in order to get the club into better order. 

I see it as his obligation to cover the debts. He made them, why should anyone else but him pay for them? 

Of course, when we were throwing money around, nobody complained. But we were not complicit in the decision making process, so we should not have to shoulder any of the financial responsibility for the mess. 

I panned Richard years ago for his 'Letter to Randy Lerner', but he was unintentionally right in what he said. Randy isn't rich enough to be throwing money around, so he shouldn't have started it in the first place.

Richard argued that we needed/need a super rich owner to compete. I don't believe that to be true, we didn't or don't need a super rich owner, what is clear now is that we need one that understands football. We have a relatively rich owner, but money alone isn't enough, unless you've got it by the oil load.

Clearly, we need to 'grow' the club like others have done. But to start that process now is too little, too late, in my opinion. We're still suffering a major hangover from the 'Vegas' years, it's crippling us.

It is possible that Randy may turn our fortunes around, but I'm not sure that it is worth the risk giving him the chance. 

For me Randy should no longer be part of the decision making processes at Villa, he's incapable. He either needs to wise up, modernise the board and step aside from the running of the club or sell up and give someone else a chance.  We'll never love him for renovating the Holte pub or cheap tickets, we can only respect him if the team is successful. 

I see it as his obligation to cover the debts. He made them, why should anyone else but him pay for them?

One of the things that Randy has going for him is honourable behaviour. You're right, basically he built up the debts, he's responsible.

There are, though, countless episodes of owners (and businesses generally, not just in football) not behaving morally. They are ones where people say "I am not [insert name of club]- one is a business which lost money or built up debt. I am a person who happens to own the business, it's the business that has to pay it back, not me" and then they walk away, often paying themselves a big bonus and leaving a mess.

What it seems with Randy is he is big enough and honest enough and fair minded enough to basically say "yep, my responsibility". Everyone should be like that, but somany aren't.

I think they've learnt, but whether they've learnt enough fast enough to remedy the mess, rather than send us down and worsen it, is very much open to question. ANd it is a "they" not "he" as there's been mistakes all over. From the Manager, to the board.

• Like 1

If Mike Ashley can turn Newcastle around then I don't see why Lerner can't do it for us.  Forget the blame game, yes O'Neill's transfer policy wasted a ridiculous amount of money but Randy made mistakes too, but that's all in the past.  If we stay up this season then we will be in a financially pretty strong position from next season, am I right? 

I wouldn't argue Ashley is a good owner, we've had far more successful seasons under Lerner than Newcastle have had under Ashley. They are 6 points ahead of us after playing a game more and if they were to get relegated again would be more screwed than Villa would be.

Too bad Ianrobo has sold his blog. He has sent med the latest two accounts earlier.

If anyone get the accounts of Reform Acquisitions, please send me a PM.

Ian sold his blog?

Might be worth a PM to Risso about the accounts as he sometimes gets hold of them. Then again they should only be £1 or so from Companies House, no?

They are. They're still showing as late though, so not available to download yet.  Useless buggers couldn't even submit the accounts on time.

This seems like decent news if it was only a 17 million loss.

Over that reporting period, we were paying Warnock's and Collins' wages. That is no longer the case. Come summer, we will get Dunne and I assume Hutton, Ireland, Given, Bent off the books.

Along with the new TV money, which should itself wipe out that deficit, we will be in a good position to buy and pay some decent wages. If we do that, we build excitement and get people back down to VP, thus giving us more spending power.

I actually think this austerity thing may have worked if we manage to say up this season. It was a big and rediculous gamble, but maybe it works out.

Ofc, we will find some way to **** it up.

Edited by Raymond

Yes in theory if we stayed up we'd be ok, but it's always in context of what the other 19 clubs are doing.

If it's Cardiff, and other clubs of that kind of infrastructure that come up, then they have the potential to be competitive.

If we stay up then it's almost certain that Reading and Wigan will drop. 2 clubs with a very small fanbase and no real aspiration to ever compete in this league. We really need QPR to drop, otherwise I think they have the money and potential to march over the hill from us next year.

If Villa are in the Premiership next season then Lambert needs to be able keep players like Benteke and Weimann and also be given a high budget in fees in wages to go and make us a competitive top 10 side again.

Can anybody honestly see Lerner changing his policy yet again and opting to do this?!!   

Yes in theory if we stayed up we'd be ok, but it's always in context of what the other 19 clubs are doing.

If it's Cardiff, and other clubs of that kind of infrastructure that come up, then they have the potential to be competitive.

If we stay up then it's almost certain that Reading and Wigan will drop. 2 clubs with a very small fanbase and no real aspiration to ever compete in this league. We really need QPR to drop, otherwise I think they have the money and potential to march over the hill from us next year.

If Villa are in the Premiership next season then Lambert needs to be able keep players like Benteke and Weimann and also be given a high budget in fees in wages to go and make us a competitive top 10 side again.

Can anybody honestly see Lerner changing his policy yet again and opting to do this?!!   

Cardiff are in very serious financial problems themselves. They need to get promoted else they are doomed.

yes, but not by signing a raft of average players who won't start a lot on 40k+ a week! i'd say a sping of players on 40k+ who start when fit is perfectly fine, with a couple over that amount too. it's all about the returns we get for the outlay. 

This seems like decent news if it was only a 17 million loss.

Over that reporting period, we were paying Warnock's and Collins' wages. That is no longer the case. Come summer, we will get Dunne and I assume Hutton, Ireland, Given, Bent off the books.

Along with the new TV money, which should itself wipe out that deficit, we will be in a good position to buy and pay some decent wages. If we do that, we build excitement and get people back down to VP, thus giving us more spending power.

I actually think this austerity thing may have worked if we manage to say up this season. It was a big and rediculous gamble, but maybe it works out.

Ofc, we will find some way to **** it up.

The key point is IF we stay up. Sadly, I'm not banking on us getting the TV money as I really can't see us staying up this season. We are cutting our cloth accordingly for surviving in the Premiership, and the cutbacks will probably be more severe should we go down.

So Randy waived his interest payments, which if he chose not to, would of left us 37m in debt?

So just how much is this fake taken out the club in the past?

Doug would of been crucified if it were him. Just a shame he never had an american accent.

• Like 1

Â