Financial figures - year ending 31/5/12

chappy

Ah, the same old debate comes for another round.  People have the same opinions and many move away from reasonable debate by manipulating/deliberately misreading what others have said.  For example, no-one has mentioned the word 'hero' in this thread.

Anyway, clearly we actually made a profit last year, because someone's made the following balls-up:

... Villa sold players including ... Stewart Downing to Liverpool for £20

So all is good.

Lerner doesn't deserve any praise for waiving interest on loans to the club. FFS it is his club, he chose to buy it why the **** should he be charging interest. Wasn't it previously reported in past years he had already taken millions out of the club in interest payments?

He's given the club over £100m out of his own pocket and now he's lent us the same at what appears to be a rate of zero interest. He may spend his money like an idiot. He may be an idiot, but at least he spends his money on my football club - hopefully at some point he gets clever or lucky and we get something worth the price he's paying.

his football club Scott. It is his asset, don't make out this waving of interest is some benevolent gesture. You spend money on decorating your house, it's virtually the same thing. He owns this asset 100% and the waving of loan interest to make losses less worse is basically nothing to him if it makes the club more attractive to sell, think of it as a loss leader

As for blaming the person who was our manager to take us to sight placed finishes with sixth placed wages for players and who took us to cup semi finals, cup finals and European progression and since whom we have had 5 others manage the first team, that spectacularly misses the point and the bigger issue. Not even close to sharing any of the blame.

Has he negotiated wages and transfer fees since?

Has he conducted our transfer strategy since?

Has he appointed other managers since?

Has he paid out 15m in managerial changes since?

Has he preceded over a drop in income and attendances since, or were attendances at a high under him?

I'm afraid blaming Martin O'neill is basically making an excuse for a totally inept, incapable owner who by his words and then deeds has betrayed the fans of this great club.

Lerner most definitely out before it is too late. This club is going to hell in a handcart and there is one man to blame for that, Randy Lerner

• Like 4

If Mike Ashley can turn Newcastle around then I don't see why Lerner can't do it for us.  Forget the blame game, yes O'Neill's transfer policy wasted a ridiculous amount of money but Randy made mistakes too, but that's all in the past.  If we stay up this season then we will be in a financially pretty strong position from next season, am I right? 

Trent - if we go down the income figures will be worse - if we stay up they will be significantly improved - the difference between this years TV money and next years TV money is worth more than selling a season ticket for every single seat in Villa Park.

Waiving interest of £20m is a great gesture - but worrying when it still leaves us with a £17.7m loss. 

Great gesture? Are you actually serious?

If Mike Ashley can turn Newcastle around then I don't see why Lerner can't do it for us.  Forget the blame game, yes O'Neill's transfer policy wasted a ridiculous amount of money but Randy made mistakes too, but that's all in the past.  If we stay up this season then we will be in a financially pretty strong position from next season, am I right? 

I will point out one major difference between Mike Ashley and Randy Lerner, Mike Ashley is a self made man who created his own fortune, Lerner is a man who inherited his fortune from his father but seemingly little of his intelligence. 

As for Randy's mistakes all being in the past, well yes in the sense that anything that has happened to date is in the past but that doesn't mean it is the end of the mistakes. At almost every turn since he has been here he has made mistakes and shown terrible judgement and I firmly believe he will continue to do so in the future because there is absolutely no reason to think otherwise.

• Like 2

Trent - if we go down the income figures will be worse - if we stay up they will be significantly improved - the difference between this years TV money and next years TV money is worth more than selling a season ticket for every single seat in Villa Park.

Waiving interest of £20m is a great gesture - but worrying when it still leaves us with a £17.7m loss. 

Looks it to me. I've never given up my right to £17.7m so I'm not sure how difficult a decision it is to make, but I'm guessing it plays on your mind a little bit.

Has he negotiated wages and transfer fees since?

Has he conducted our transfer strategy since?

Has he appointed other managers since?

Has he paid out 15m in managerial changes since?

Has he preceded over a drop in income and attendances since, or were attendances at a high under him?

Spot on Richard.

How does this get ignored?

A financially strong position ....to do what ?  - Pay the fees and wages @ the going rate for a premiership club ? 

A billionaire chairman finances the club - if he doesn't want to do that, he should never have got involved. If he is going to try and run us at a profit - it probably won't be in the prem. 

Looks it to me. I've never given up my right to £17.7m so I'm not sure how difficult a decision it is to make, but I'm guessing it plays on your mind a little bit.

He hasn't given it up as such though as he. He owns the club 100%. If he takes that 17.7 mill out of the club, a club that already made a loss, he is taking it off himself in theory.

Edited by markavfc40

He owns a club that owes his family trust some money - he's given up the interest on that money - it's another way for him to effectively put his own money into the club without a demand for a return. I'd imagine that the family trust took a fair bit of persuading to give up another chunk of daddy's legacy on Randy's folly - for me it's a good thing that he's still prepared to take that fight on in order to get the club into better order. 

- if he doesn't want to do that, he should never have got involved.

A simple truth that some seem to ignore.

He chose to buy this club.

Yup - That's why fans get excited when rich geezer buys there club - to a greater or lesser extent they hope he will cover the clubs losses - its a given he won't get that money back. 

A very poor second best - is a savvy chairman, who knows or learns football, and hires a CEO who continually make astute managerial \ Player appointments - much like WBA\Everton at the moment. Safe to say neither Lerner or Faulkner are such types.

He owns a club that owes his family trust some money - he's given up the interest on that money - it's another way for him to effectively put his own money into the club without a demand for a return. I'd imagine that the family trust took a fair bit of persuading to give up another chunk of daddy's legacy on Randy's folly - for me it's a good thing that he's still prepared to take that fight on in order to get the club into better order. 

But to guy like Lerner £17m is probably a lot less than an average family man spends on a family holiday.......didn't he make £300m in interest alone last year ?

But to guy like Lerner £17m is probably a lot less than an average family man spends on a family holiday.......didn't he make £300m in interest alone last year ?

No

No

Here we go - his net worth increased by £300m in 2012 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/aston-villa-chairman-randy-lerner-1240157

That's due to the sale of The Browns not interest as you stated .

i wouldn't have thought so - as its the value of his assets not just cash. So if he sold the browns for £300m , they would have been previously valued in his estate. I also thought he got rather more than £300m for the Browns.

Really?

All it does is make it easier for him to sell up. Now thats a gesture that will be applauded by the vast majority of people. When he does and the truth of his stewardship of this club comes out, you will be one of the majority.

Â