Hard as Nails!

Ron Burgundy

First nomination here for West Brom and Derby centre half Darren Moore. He was absolutely rock solid.

The names that have been mentioned so far are kind of the obvious ones. But I think if we scratch below the surface there are much harder players then Keane, Jones and Mcgrath.

My vote is for Moore.

I never understood Keane's vendetta against Haaland - he injured himself trying to foul Haaland and then avenged this percieved slight a few years later. Mental. Ultimately hard is 90% mental. Roy also. 

I read that when he was lying injured Haaland came up and called him a diver. 

I wouldnt see many people wanting to mess with George Elokobi

http://youtu.be/wDo26ZqUO48

The two tackles. I think Haaland was entitled to call Keane out on the first one. Keane didn't feign injury to stay out of trouble with the referee, he was out for over a year as a result of the incident but it was a totally self inflicted wound which wouldn't have happened if he wasn't trying to kick Haaland in the first place.

The second 'tackle' was disgusting and Roy Keane is very lucky the police didn't get involved.  It's a shame he was such an arsehole on the pitch because he was a world class footballer. 

agree he was a great player but a proper word removed. His comments about Clive Clarke having a suspected heart attack for example was just plain cold.

though him psyching out Vieira in the tunnel was proper mindgames 

What about "Chopper Harris " Chelsea ? he was definately hard on the pitch.And apparently Jackie Charlton had a little black book with names of footballers he had to get even with before he hung up his boots.

I really think this has to be era-specific.

As has been pointed out, the amount of violence that players got away with back in the day is very different to now.

Ron Harris, Dave Mackay, Peter Storey, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith (and the players of even earlier generations) were totally on a different planet to the likes of Vinnie Jones, let alone today's so-called hard men. Seriously, Joey Barton wouldn't have lasted five minutes in that company.

it did help that was different rules as was contact sport then. now you cant even breath on somebody without a free kick been given which is pathetic.

would love to see chopper harris and norman hunter go up against the pansies of Barcelona

Current players id back Zlatan though, hes not just handy at Teakwando, hes a frigging black belt.

Im sure he would have relished playing when the game was more physical.

• Like 1

I would've loved to see this run it's course-

I'd have put my money on Shearer if it had came to blows.  Keane seemed to rely a lot on intimidation, and Shearer clearly wasnt buying any of it.  Shearer is a bigger bloke, probably a lot stronger and no stranger to the dirty tackle himself.  Just ask Neil Lennon.  Or Ugo. 

Totally agree Shearer would have him on toast.

Nails.

Â