Printers (and what you do with them)

Xann

Last printer owned was a 9 pin dot matrix. Just used machines at work when necessary since.

With the photo album now on computer and some redecorating coming up, I'm considering a purchase.

What's good for photos? Anyone made pics or clever stuff for the house? Would an A3 printer be worthwhile, or is taking jpegs to a printers/photo store better?

Your thoughts please gang.

:)

Replacement toners for color lasers are fooooooking expansive. 100 quid each are not uncommo and there are 4 of them. So if you go that route, look at how many pages you get per toner and how much they are. The price of the actual unit might be secondary in that regard.

Other than that, I dunno :)

• Like 1

As for the cloud print, which is excellent for printing from your tablet or phone, a workstation with Chrome installed can act as a printserver if the device is missing the feature. A bit messier but doable.

As for the cloud print, which is excellent for printing from your tablet or phone, a workstation with Chrome installed can act as a printserver if the device is missing the feature. A bit messier but doable.

To do that you have to have a computer turned on all the time. If the printer itself can do cloud print, you don't need that. As we move to a post-PC world, this will become more important as people won't have a PC in their house to run the printer.

To do that you have to have a computer turned on all the time. If the printer itself can do cloud print, you don't need that. As we move to a post-PC world, this will become more important as people won't have a PC in their house to run the printer.

Very true.

Canon selphy cp800, or a version.. amazing for 6x4s. Unfortunately to get the same quality prints at anything other than tiny.. at home.. is rather expensive to start with. I use labs for most stuff. Though you can run ink systems if you don't mind.

Thanks all.

Canon selphy cp800

ta.

Ok, so making big pictures out of little pics isn't practical with domestic machines. This due to the price of the inks.

Cheers, maybe won't bother then.

• 2 years later...
Guest av1

First all apologies if this is in the wrong place, i didn't think it deserved its own thread and this thread seemed most suitable. 

My dad has just called and is struggling to install the software for the new printer he has purchased. he has put the disk in the drive, he can hear it spinning but there is no pop up giving him further instruction. any ideas?

i`m not sure if the operating system makes any difference, but its windows 7.

First all apologies if this is in the wrong place, i didn't think it deserved its own thread and this thread seemed most suitable. 

My dad has just called and is struggling to install the software for the new printer he has purchased. he has put the disk in the drive, he can hear it spinning but there is no pop up giving him further instruction. any ideas?

Just open Computer and double click on the CD/DVD drive, there should be an Auto run Application file in there which will start the installer. Alternatively you can almost certainly go to the manufacturer's website and download the driver instead.

Guest av1

Just open Computer and double click on the CD/DVD drive, there should be an Auto run Application file in there which will start the installer. Alternatively you can almost certainly go to the manufacturer's website and download the driver instead.

Sorted, Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Right, so what do people recommend for printers these days? 

Looking to spend around £100 on a printer without crippling toner costs. Would quite like something with a quick output but not that fussed about print quality. Mostly B&W with only the occasional colour prints. 

Any suggestions?

• 6 months later...

My Mom wants a new printer for Christmas.

She has one now but it's an old clogger, complicated to use and wired so it has to be used from the PC (which nobody really uses as they all have laptops)

Any recommendations?

My budget is only about £50 because they won't use it much so not worth ploughing loads of money in. Want it to be wifi/cloud print so it's easy to print from laptops/tablets etc

Anything else I should be looking out for?

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My Mom wants a new printer for Christmas.

She has one now but it's an old clogger, complicated to use and wired so it has to be used from the PC (which nobody really uses as they all have laptops)

Any recommendations?

My budget is only about £50 because they won't use it much so not worth ploughing loads of money in. Want it to be wifi/cloud print so it's easy to print from laptops/tablets etc

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Colour?

Â