The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Some friends of mine recorded an album , catchy tunes and fun trying to guess what artists they are influenced by  ..I quite like it

Be interested to know what VT musicians make of them in terms of ability etc.

I like it a lot. Not surprising, as it's very late 60s/early 70s sounding - Beatles/Badfinger/Moody Blues, etc. 

Do they gig round your way? 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like it a lot. Not surprising, as it's very late 60s/early 70s sounding - Beatles/Badfinger/Moody Blues, etc. 

Do they gig round your way? 

They are from Melton Mowbray , they formed when they were students back in the 90's and reformed last year for a 25th anniversary gig in  Leicester in July and decided to  launch an EP (that you listened to)  , don't currently have anything else scheduled , which is a shame

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Be interested to know what VT musicians make of them in terms of ability etc

There's nothing wrong with it. It's decently recorded and if they can play it live like that? They're competant.

• 2 weeks later...

A violinist says he is "devastated" after leaving his 310-year-old instrument worth £250,000 on a train.

Stephen Morris had been on the London to Orpington service on Tuesday night, and got out at Penge East with his bike, but forgot his antique violin.

BBC

Ouch.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

BBC

Ouch.

Great work announcing the value to every street-thug and tracksuit moron around the London underground. It will certainly be turned in now......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Great work announcing the value to every street-thug and tracksuit moron around the London underground. It will certainly be turned in now......

Hard to say? 

Is it his? Looking at his credits? He maybe could? He may have toured with Katherine Jenkins to buy the violin? Feel the man's pain.

Mental expensive classical instruments are often owned by a wealthy benefactor. They lend them to prominent musicians for the prestige and, though it might seem strange, played instruments do better over time than museum pieces, despite the chance of accidental damage being much greater. 

Any reward offered could be more than they'd get for such a roasting hot and easily identifiable item?

There's a pic up of someone they're looking to talk to.

If it's really owned by a shady Russian oligarch? We've got the makings of a film :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, the missus says "Get what you'd like for Christmas, I'll give you a wodge of dosh towards it". 

I wonder how this sits with her "You don't need any more guitars" mantra?  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, the missus says "Get what you'd like for Christmas, I'll give you a wodge of dosh towards it". 

I wonder how this sits with her "You don't need any more guitars" mantra?  :)

That can also apply to cymbals or (dare I say) bikes !! "Surely 6 bikes are enough !!!!!" 

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I won’t shake that image from my head now every time I listen to “At the unfairground. 

Different band, Tony. This was "Famous Last Words" - a good 2 or 3 years before the bass player and I started Warp Factor Five. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, veloman said:

Is that a Gibson S G ?  Looks like a Vox bass amp 4 x 12 perhaps ?

Not sure whether the bass cab was a Vox, I seem to recall not. I, on the other hand, did have a Vox (out of shot here) - a split AC50. Wish I'd kept it now. 

As for the SG, thereby hangs a tale. It wasn't a Gibson, but a cheap no-name copy. It was fine for playing at home, but that gig was the first time it had been out under hot stage lighting - and it would NOT stay in tune, even for the duration of one number. I was playing lead, and I could hear it going wildly out before I got to the break - resulting in frantic retuning, mid-solo. Every song. Total **** ing nightmare, I was dying with embarrassment. To this day I can't look at that picture without a shudder of horror. With hindsight, I wish I'd smashed it into matchwood on stage a la Townshend, until of waiting until I got home. To make matters worse, my somewhat on/off girlfriend at the time, came up as I came off stage and said (quite genuinely, I think) how much she'd enjoyed it. I told her to **** off. The relationship was a lot more off than on after that, I can tell you. 

Â