The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Your album popped up in the week in another group I follow that's dedicated to 60s and 70s rock.

What group is that? Sounds right up my street.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Aye.

Good Lord !!!  well it didn't make me a fortune (or indeed anything!!) and I did not attract hordes of screaming nymphomaniacs. So a bit of a failure really 😄. (Premier Drums/Ludwig snare/ Zildjian cymbals.)

Just now, veloman said:

Good Lord !!!  well it didn't make me a fortune (or indeed anything!!) and I did not attract hordes of screaming nymphomaniacs. So a bit of a failure really 😄. (Premier Drums/Ludwig snare/ Zildjian cymbals.)

:)Don't put yourself down. You got reissued, someone was interested.

Cheers ! Yep and someone pirated it onto YouTube but as I have lost touch with the others and the Keyboard player is now a big noise with Yamaha in America, we didn't do anything. I've got one vinyl copy .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

im-104013.thumb.jpg.59a4f6e31f38e6366fadb435528c27c1.jpg

Jazz Legend Miles Davis’ Trumpet Hits Auction at Christie’s

A trumpet designed and played by Miles Davis, one of the most influential jazz musicians in history, could sell for between $70,000 and $100,000 at a Christie’s auction next month.

The trumpet was made by the Martin Company, which was founded in Chicago in 1865 by German instrument-maker Johann Heinrich Martin, around 1980 to Davis' specifications, according to Christie’s.

The instrument, featuring a deep blue lacquer and gilt crescent moon and stars, with the name “Miles” inscribed on the bell, is one of a set of three colored trumpets designed by Davis. It was acquired by the present, anonymous owner from the collection of jazz guitarist George Benson, according to Christie’s.

The set’s red version has remained in the musician’s family since his death in 1991, while the black one is buried at his side in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York City. 

The deep blue trumpet will be offered at “The Exceptional Sale” at Christie’s New York on Oct. 29

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably just ignorant, but I didn't realise Russia had musicians as good as this and in this genre. Whether you like Chicago or not, this is ace playing (IMO) and vocalist not singing in his native language. Opinions ?

• Like 1

Levels of suppression differed from state to state and down the timeline. Poland being quite liberal, Bulgaria not.

Authorities would check out any new genre for undesirable characteristics before allowing it, or a sanitised version, to happen. 

So they were always behind the times and often quite wishy washy as far we in the West were concerned.

With the exception of classical material, labels here wouldn't have seen a market worth bothering the state labels of the East for.

Now we're listening retrospectively? There was some great stuff and the datelines not matching up isn't an issue. 

Vinyl collectors love Supraphon, Pronit, Hungaroton, Amiga and Melodiya these days.

Misha Panfilov's Funked Up East channel on Youtube is very good... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCowyry-xWRrdbQWlWkvq5fQ

You might like Russian drummer Vladimir Vasilkov?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veloman said:

I'm probably just ignorant, but I didn't realise Russia had musicians as good as this and in this genre. Whether you like Chicago or not, this is ace playing (IMO) and vocalist not singing in his native language. Opinions ?

Very good. It's incredibly close to the original. 

10 hours ago, Xann said:

You might like Russian drummer Vladimir Vasilkov?

Indeed ! Very tasty drummer. Using original Premier drums too , by the look of it . Made in Leicester ! Along with Carlsboro amps (I think).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Doing another open mic tonight. Made the mistake of getting here early (to get a parking spot), so my name went down first, so I'll be first on, playing to the proverbial two men and a dog. Ho hum. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Doing another open mic tonight. Made the mistake of getting here early (to get a parking spot), so my name went down first, so I'll be first on, playing to the proverbial two men and a dog. Ho hum. 

What numbers are you playing ? On guitar too ?

Some friends of mine recorded an album , catchy tunes and fun trying to guess what artists they are influenced by  ..I quite like it

Be interested to know what VT musicians make of them in terms of ability etc

Edited by tonyh29

Â