The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

From an array of Seasonal jokes I heard when backing 2nd rate comedians (I was a second rate drummer btw) :-

2 kids discussing what they are having for Xmas; "I'm having a puppy" say one. "Dad's keeping it in the bedroom".  " How do you know ?" says other. 'Cos the other morning I heard him say to Mom, Grab hold of it , it won't bite you".

Father says to son " What do want for Xmas son?"  Son replies " I'd like something to wear and something to play with".  So father buys him a pair of trousers and cuts the pockets off. 

I thank you.

On 11/12/2018 at 02:18, TheAuthority said:

Blimey I always thought the majority of musicians were chill, easy going folks.

When you have to organize them to do anything they turn into the biggest bunch of whiny, moaning babies in the world. I hate contracting.

As someone who has been a leader of a band trying to organise musicians for over 25 years, I must say that this is completely and utterly untrue.

No wait, the other one... completely and utterly correct!

• Haha 1

Good night at the open mic Xmas party last night. Played several songs, won the quiz (prize: my mate's band CD), and won best jokes of the night - thanks, VT joke thread!   :)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

My choir doing Bogoroditse Devo by Rachmaninoff in Baden Baden. We're amateur but auditioned so the standard is fairly high.

That's great.

Sack the word removed on the far left though.

Flat as a pancake :P

• Haha 1

Has anyone bought and built a diy guitar kit? 

havent played in over 20yrs (work, kids and sport all got in the way!) but fancy a project for the new year and to take it up again. 

Have had a look online and the kits seem a reasonable price and get decent enough reviews. 

Is it worth it? 

8 hours ago, Xann said:

48187024_10156984087910956_8364211907153887232_n.jpg.7a4cc3042928cb7554050062f0fae929.jpg

Here's one for the resident pro.

Reminds me of an old  joke among jazz players I hung around with, dedicated to @TheAuthority:

Q:  What's the difference between a dead snake in the road and a dead trombone player?

A:  The snake may have been on its way to a gig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well while we seem to be telling musician jokes: A drummer goes for an audition with a 'reading' band. MD dishes out the music and the first number is a pleasant ballad. About half way through the drummer launches into an incredible solo; MD waves his arms and asks him what the hell he is doing. Drummer replies, "Well , on the music it says 'take it'!' ". MD has  a look and says ,"That's not 'take it' …….. it's Tacit".

• Like 1

Some Americans are on a safari in Africa in the 1950's with a local guide.  As they're walking through the jungle they  start hearing some drums of in the distance and ask the guide if it's anything to worry about.   He says, "No, no worries.  Drums: good.  No drums: bad."

A bit later,  the drums sound a bit louder and faster and sound like they're being hit more aggressively.   They ask the guide, "Should we worry?   That drumming doesn't sound particularly friendly."   The guide says, "No, no worries.   Drums:  good;  no drums:  bad." 

Later yet, the drumming ratchets up further and is really fast, loud, frantic.   They ask the guide again, "Are you sure that drumming doesn't indicate a problem ?   It sounds really ominous."   "No, no worries.   Drums:  good;  no drums: bad." 

So one of the tourists asks, "What happens when the drumming stops?"    The guide says, "Bass solo."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

On bass, Tina Weymouth

Enjoyed the Tina Weymouth journey through bass on BBC 4. Wasn't just an hour of talking heads talking about Talking Heads. Felt more like the worlds best tutorial. Wanted to keep pausing it and writing down names for later research.

p06xmfxv.jpg

Helped along by my crush on Tina, obvs...

I watched that too. It was good and eye opening. Could have done with a bit more of talking heads and her playing, though. She’s a really good bassist, in my inexpert view.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I watched that too. It was good and eye opening. Could have done with a bit more of talking heads and her playing, though. She’s a really good bassist, in my inexpert view.

Did you spot the clue as to why there wasn't more talking heads?

The 'I wrote that' syndrome around some bands like James Brown etc.. I felt there was heavy reference to Mr D Byrne there. He was also cropped out of the opening shot of the Talking Heads band shot.

I could be over thinking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Did you spot the clue as to why there wasn't more talking heads?

The 'I wrote that' syndrome around some bands like James Brown etc.. I felt there was heavy reference to Mr D Byrne there. He was also cropped out of the opening shot of the Talking Heads band shot.

I could be over thinking.

Oh yes and also there was the bit where Tina was talking to mad glasses and sparkley togs bass player man, and they talked about the top dog arbitrarily deciding [whatever]. And she did a kind of "oh yes, been there" or maybe that's the same thing you mentioned. I'd had some beer.

• Like 1

I saw Bootys Rubber Band at the Odeon  in New Street many years ago; I think he was on with RAYDIO (Ray Parker Jnr). I can confidently say it was the loudest bass I have EVER heard. And it must be remembered :- that I am half deaf any way through spending some years sitting in front of 2 Marshall bass cabs - and - I have seen Motorhead !!!! Anyone who ever saw Lemmy might know what I mean !

• Like 1

Â