The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

On 04/05/2018 at 18:36, Xann said:

Savall is wonderful. Great musician and director. His label Alia Vox has high production standards.

How brilliant is this? 

I'm wondering if he may tone down the Baroque ornamentation for Beethoven?

I have no idea how an early 19th Century and 20th Century trombone differ? Modern seals would be better you'd suspect?

Baroque trumpet is another level of crazy technique.

Sorry I missed this! 

Re: Beethoven. You're right, he won't use Baroque ornamentation because the period performance guys would be up in arms. The period performance standard for many years has been Sir John Elliot Gardner's Beethoven Symphony cycle with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. I just looked it up and it was recorded in 1994 - almost 25 years ago now! Still worth a listen though for the period French Horns in the in 3rd Movement of the 5th symphony. Absolutely belting. Those recordings changed how most people saw period performances. Up until then period performance was slightly scoffed at as something were hippies who didn't bath and cut their hair.

Re: Trombones. In the 1920/30's people started to use larger bell flares and wider bore sizes to get a more rich sonorous sound. This has developed over the last 100 years and now most orchestral tenor trombones have a bell about 8.5 inches wide and bass trombones have bells up to 10.5 inches. Jazz trombones have remained a little smaller in both bell size and bore and as you rightly suggest manufacturing standards have increased so that the quality and build is generally very high for most modern instruments.

Apologies if this is the most boring post I've ever made on VT! It's my job and life and could probably go on about it all day :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

... Up until then period performance was slightly scoffed at as something were hippies who didn't bath and cut their hair. 

David Munrow is regarded as a visionary these days.

I have that JEG Beethoven cycle. I remember all the fuss at the time was about the metronome settings - he took them all at a VERY fast clip. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have that JEG Beethoven cycle. I remember all the fuss at the time was about the metronome settings - he took them all at a VERY fast clip. 

Yep - and now those tempi have become very accepted. At the time it had a lot of music academics crying "SACRILEGE" !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a very bad habit of biting my calluses off and then being very pissed off next time I play and it hurts after a while.  

Yeah - they're so irresistibly chewable!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent ! Not quite as good as Joe Morello but then who was ! I remember seeing the late Graham Bond playing the bass pedals with incredible skill. He was faced with replacing Jack Bruce who left his band to join Manfred Mann and I guess he just couldn't get anyone that good  !

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, veloman said:

Some good old kit in that pic ! Is that a Fender Rhodes he's playing …  or possibly a Wurlitzer ? And think that's an Ampeg behind the Marshall.

It's a Rhodes. 

On 15/06/2018 at 08:35, mjmooney said:

It's a Rhodes. 

My dad bought an old Fender Rhodes when I was in high school.  It was instrumental (pun intended!) to me learning to improvise.  As a trumpet player I had no way to tell if anything i was trying to play sounded good when I was practicing by myself, so I sat in the basement with the FR and learned to play simple chord voicings with my left hand and experimented with the right.

37 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I sat in the basement with the FR and learned to play simple chord voicings with my left hand and experimented with the right.

IMG_20180622_232828.png

• Haha 1

I'm playing live online tomorrow if anyone needs to kill an hour or two. 1pm New York time so 6pm for the UK. Webern's Passacaglia is an amazing piece and also on the program is  Brahms's equally epic German Requiem. Part of the Trinity Church Wall Street Concert Series. The Church owns owns Wall Street including the Stock Exchange and takes in around $175 million per year in rent. It's fair to say it has an epic music program! The link should go up shortly before the start https://www.trinitywallstreet.org/music-arts/2017-2018/times-arrow-2

Here is the Webern:

2nd movement of the Brahms was used by the BBC in the documentary "Nazi's: A Warning From History."

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

2nd movement of the Brahms was used by the BBC in the documentary "Nazi's: A Warning From History."

I never expected Godwin's Law to come into play on the VT Musicians thread!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm playing live online tomorrow if anyone needs to kill an hour or two.

Will you be easy to spot, or will there be others also wearing Villa bobble hats?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So in Rome airport there's a baby grand piano upstairs after the duty free bit. Had a sign saying play me. So I did. After walking past it a couple of times with MrsVM egging me on despite all the self conscious alarm bells telling me not to as the dad trying to continually usher his kid away from it kept getting dragged straight back over the rope by his nipper :D

Didn't want to start playing stuff and realise I just cant remember anything - it's been like 20 full years since I've been anywhere near one, let alone played one outside of going round peoples houses that have one occasionally - And memories of being stared at for forgetting stuff half-way through are hard to shift :)

Still I'm well glad I did even if I just pretty much stuck to some chord patterns and was in no way going to start singing. I got through "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" with only a couple of wobbly bits until I remembered the progression! And followed it up with a little "Descending" by the Black Crowes although the little run thing down a couple of octaves was better the second time in that one when I started from the right place :thumb: (C# Marv, C#!) Trust me to start thinking I could launch right into that one :blush:

Still, as someone wise once said to me, "with background music the key is basically to be ignored, if they all start noticing you then it's probably too loud or very wrong" and people weren't staring mouths aghast or anything :) in fact I even got a small ripple of applause from a couple of tables at the cafe place alongside it when I got up and left. So that was nice. And MrsVM liked it. And it killed 10mins. The knowing no one knew me and the knowing no one would ever see me again kind of made it a bit easier. Weird really, stick a guitar in my hand and I'll give it a go pretty much anytime. Give me a mic or a drum kit and I'm happy as Larry. Stick me on a piano and I turn into a nervous kid doing his Grade 1 again :)

anyway, there you go, I played the piano. Never played a baby grand before.

• Like 3

Â