Midweek football - 19th/20th January

TrentVilla

Barca were awful, dont think Abbiati made a save all night. I have think this team have been found out on European stage Chelsea, Celtic and now Milan have made them look average at times. Man of the match was Ambrosini, shocking to think he was playing in Euro 2000 and still putting in performances

El Sharaawy looks a better future prospect than Neymar and gets less than half they hype

Topic title says January, we are currently in February. That is all

Trent out

I should take over from keenan and trent.

Anyway reading the fan comments on the bbc page, lots of comments like  "barca are average if you stop messi" fickleness

Barca were awful, dont think Abbiati made a save all night. I have think this team have been found out on European stage Chelsea, Celtic and now Milan have made them look average at times. Man of the match was Ambrosini, shocking to think he was playing in Euro 2000 and still putting in performances

El Sharaawy looks a better future prospect than Neymar and gets less than half they hype

I think Neymar will flop outside of Brazil.

Milan have got a great forward line at the moment and very young too. They need some defenders in the summer and I think they could win Serie A next year. Im glad they gave Allegri time too this season because they got off to a shocking start.

Edited by KHV

Topic title says January, we are currently in February. That is all

Trent out

I should take over from keenan and trent.

Anyway reading the fan comments on the bbc page, lots of comments like  "barca are average if you stop messi" fickleness

Feel free, I only did it as nobody else could be arsed.

Got back from a trip away late last night but watched the Barça game on Sky+.  They were shockingly poor by their standards.  I do think that a sense complacency, and (at times, with certain players) arrogance creeps into their game.  It'll be interesting/dull [delete as preferable] to see whether Barça will be able to grind down the Milan defence in the return leg.

Messi is the best player in the world so, of course, if you can stop him from playing then you have a much better chance of getting points out of a game in which he's facing you.  However, to suggest that Barcelona are 'average' without him is laughable at best.  People have different opinions on Barcelona: some seem to worship their 'ethos' whereas others see it more as a vomit-inducing way of cashing in on the club as a product; some love their style of play whereas others find it boring; some enjoy watching players such as Sergio Busquets and Dani Alves whereas others have problems with their on-pitch 'antics'.  However, 'average' without Messi?  I think not.

Â