Pope Resigns

Richard

Can't see it though. And people still let these words removed teach their children.

I don't have a dog in this fight but the OFSTED inspections seem to indicate that many of the top performing Comprehensives are Catholic Schools (likewise with CoE Schools).

Also it seems a bit harsh to call 1.2 billion Catholics "words removed", or are you only refering to the teachers in Catholic Schools?

Out of interest do you describe teachers of other non-Christian faiths in the same way?

So indoctrination is okay as long as they are also educated?

I'm calling the Roman Catholic Church "words removed". I've no idea how many Catholics describe themselves as part of the church (paying tithes, no contraception, no abortion, hoarding wealth). Most don't believe in transubstantiation as a literal truth; because they are neither thinking impaired nor cannibals). 

Please don't play the victim card. It devalues any argument you might make. I'm completely non-discriminatory in my loathing for religious privilege.

Can't see it though. And people still let these words removed teach their children.

I don't have a dog in this fight but the OFSTED inspections seem to indicate that many of the top performing Comprehensives are Catholic Schools (likewise with CoE Schools).

Also it seems a bit harsh to call 1.2 billion Catholics "words removed", or are you only refering to the teachers in Catholic Schools?

Out of interest do you describe teachers of other non-Christian faiths in the same way?

I think that it's ultimately the parents choice and none of anyone else's buisness. Those schools seem to be getting pretty good results after all, so the parents aren't sending them there out of blind faith. Perhaps it is the values based environment that they like and which is contributing to the obvious success?

I'm calling the Roman Catholic Church "words removed". I've no idea how many Catholics describe themselves as part of the church (paying tithes, no contraception, no abortion, hoarding wealth). Most don't believe in transubstantiation as a literal truth; because they are neither thinking impaired nor cannibals).

I suspect many of 1.2 billion Catholics world wide would describe themselves as part of the church, it seems like more of an "all in" religion than say, the Anglican faith. What I find so hypocritical is that if any other group was generalised about on this board in such terms, the poster responsible would almost certainly (and not unreasonably) be called a bigot. That's not a pop at you btw, just an observation of the blatant hypocricy of many regular posters on any thread related to Chrisitianity.

Please don't play the victim card. It devalues any argument you might make. I'm completely non-discriminatory in my loathing for religious privilege.

No victim card here, I'm not Catholic and don't practice any faith.

I think that it's ultimately the parents choice and none of anyone else's buisness. Those schools seem to be getting pretty good results after all, so the parents aren't sending them there out of blind faith. Perhaps it is the values based environment that they like and which is contributing to the obvious success?

I can't accept that indoctrination is okay even with the parents' consent. However that's not the discussion here. There is a saying amongst Catholics (well, the Jesuits); "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man". Personally I think that schools should not be in the business of teaching kids anything other than rationalism. If those kids decide to believe in fairy stories once they are adults, that is then their own choice.

I suspect many of 1.2 billion Catholics world wide would describe themselves as part of the church, it seems like more of an "all in" religion than say, the Anglican faith. What I find so hypocritical is that if any other group was generalised about on this board in such terms, the poster responsible would almost certainly (and not unreasonably) be called a bigot. That's not a pop at you btw, just an observation of the blatant hypocricy of many regular posters on any thread related to Chrisitianity.

Every Catholic I know breaks all five of the tenets of "their church" that I listed. It would be highly hypocritical of them to still claim to be part of "their church", but you are saying that they do. Outside of a school interview, I'll bet none of them do. It's the "faith" I have a problem with, not the people who were indoctrinated into it as children. I'm attacking an organisation, not it's members. And there are many other groups generalised about in the same way on this board. See the team specific threads in "other football" for a few examples.

Lent. Something which is deeply Christian and isn't in the bible.

It's a homage to Jesus wandering inthe wilderness.

If that were so, wouldn't lent be 40 days long? The RCC says it's 44 days (RCC's lent finishes randomly on the Thursday before Easter Sunday). There are 46 days between Shrove Tuesday and Easter Sunday. Some sects bizarrely don't count Sundays to try and make it fit. Perhaps the gospels missed out that in fact it was 40 days of wandering in the wilderness but he found a boozer for Sunday lunches.

Lent. Something which is deeply Christian and isn't in the bible.

It's a homage to Jesus wandering inthe wilderness.
If that were so, wouldn't lent be 40 days long? The RCC says it's 44 days (RCC's lent finishes randomly on the Thursday before Easter Sunday). There are 46 days between Shrove Tuesday and Easter Sunday. Some sects bizarrely don't count Sundays to try and make it fit. Perhaps the gospels missed out that in fact it was 40 days of wandering in the wilderness but he found a boozer for Sunday lunches.

Out of all the horse shit in the bible Lent is the least problematic for me . I'm more interested in the thought crimes in regards to your neighbours ox . Now thats funny.

Out of all the horse shit in the bible Lent is the least problematic for me . I'm more interested in the thought crimes in regards to your neighbours ox . Now thats funny.

I was responding to someone else who mentioned it. It's one of those very strange things that anyone can count that it's not 40 days and yet the indoctrination kicks in and "everyone knows" it's 40 days because that's what they were taught.

• Like 1

I was responding to someone else who mentioned it. It's one of those very strange things that anyone can count that it's not 40 days and yet the indoctrination kicks in and "everyone knows" it's 40 days because that's what they were taught.

Hmm, reminds me of Jesus's genealogy.

I mean genealogies.

That's not particularly fair. I am researching a lot about the 100 years war (it wasn't 100 years) Even then some 1400 years after Christ, not many people could tell you what the date was. They were not sure which was the first day of the new year was. There are 5 different  documented days when the English left Harfleur on the march to Calais. So its not surprising 1400 years before there were discrepancies

That's not particularly fair. I am researching a lot about the 100 years war (it wasn't 100 years) Even then some 1400 years after Christ, not many people could tell you what the date was. They were not sure which was the first day of the new year was. There are 5 different  documented days when the English left Harfleur on the march to Calais. So its not surprising 1400 years before there were discrepancies

To a Christian the bible is the word of god. God's word says Jesus was wandering for 40 days. People could count to 40 in the olden days. Christian sects change aspects of their celebrations all the time. Passiontide was only removed by the RCC in the 1970s. So why is lent still 44 days? This isn't about knowing what year it was, this is about counting to 40. And accepting wisdom on faith.

Â