Pope Resigns

Richard

How very strange.  They normally only leave office one way.  Thought he was a bit old when appointed,  didn't think he would be a long appointment but didnt expect this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304'>Clicky

Pope Benedict in shock resignation

_65818408_65817633.jpgPope Benedict's announcement has surprised Catholics and the wider world
The 85-year-old Pope is to resign at the end of this month in an entirely unexpected development, saying he is too old continue.

He became Pope Benedict XVI in 2005 following the John Paul II's death.

Resignations from the papacy are not unknown, but this is the first in the modern era, which has been marked by pontiffs dying while in office.

At 78, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of the oldest new popes in history when elected.

He took the helm as one of the fiercest storms the Catholic Church has faced in decades - the scandal of child sex abuse by priests - was breaking.

In a statement, he said: "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry...

"In today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me."

Edited by admin
  • Like 1

Black Pope coming up?

Paddy Power is now taking bets on who will be the next leader of the Catholic Church. It makes Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana an early
favourite to replace the 85-year-old at 9/4.

Cardinal-Peter-Turkson.jpg

The application process:

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?

Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.

Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.

Applicant: I like rape.

Hedley Lamarr: Charming, sign right here.

• Like 1

I'd say he watched Prof Brian Cox's final 'Wonders of Life' documentary and said 'Aw shit, they're right y'know'.

Wrong thread but last night's episode was quite good , especially the fish tank particle detector and the use of Joy Division's "Atmosphere" . He should maybe ease up on the whole "we were all made in the heart of a dying star“ stuff though as he says it in every episode of every show he's done .

Edited by Brumerican

Â