Best budget mountain bike | Help!

b23avfc

So I'm thinking about getting a mountain bike but as it would be for casual use, getting around erdington and a bit of exercise a couple times a week, I don't want to spend a lot.. Reading up I know that most of the budget stuff is junk, and while I don't want to spend that much, I don't want junk...

I heard a few good things about a few and it all started when I saw the rockrider 5.0 online, which seemed good bar a few reviews, the majority were good!

So what's the word? Anybody got anything decent second hand? Or seen anything new going cheap?

After that I'm considering a torc ground thingy to secure it

I was going to ask a very similar question about a road bike today... but anyway

I got a decent GT second hand from Ebay (~£200) last year for exactly this sort of thing.  Ive got a few sets of tyres for it so a quick change and its ok for anything from a quick blast around cannock chase, a cycle along canals/old railways to a bit of road riding (with the slicks on and locked forks).

There's quite a bit of decent stuff on ebay if you keep your eye out - but make sure you have a decent ride on it before you actually hand over any money.

One of the best things to do is to look for last year's models. I picked up a GT avalanche 1.0 (Hydraulics etc) for about £500 last year by doing this. By the time I pushed it through the work's cycle to work scheme, I managed to get a £750 for about £350.

If its a real small budget then ditch the idea of any shocks, unless your going to do Can Chas at speed you can get away without em and the bike will be a lot lighter than having huge useless shocks strapped to the front.

Specialized are excellent mid-range bikes. You should get a decent 2nd hand one for c.£200

Not really, good frames but very mediocre spec.

Rockrider 8.1 pisses all over a specialized in the equivalent price bracket and you are looking at almost double to get something of similar spec.

Specialized have gone downhill (no pun intended) over the last few years.

Voodoo Bantu and hoodoo are also good value but more trail orientated. Boardman are also worth a look.

What's your budget?  Also, check out the buy/sell section on pinkbike.com for some good condition second hand deals.

And as tinker says, if your budget is low, don't bother with suspension.  You're only entering a false economy with the quality of the remaining components...

Yeah I believe recently specialized have put cheaper components on but you'll still get the good frames. I think in road and cross bikes they're still considered one of the best in their price range. Don't know about MTBs though.

Yeah, their roadbikes are still pretty decent but the mtb are not much cop spec wise for what you pay.

I suppose it is much like anything, paying for the name.

What is your budget?

Might be worth looking at the Bike radar classifieds.

I would go mtb, gives you more options and you can always get some slicks for it.

The last bike I had was a bmx mag 20. But that's another story for another thread. Or perhaps just another thread.

I'm hoping the phrase it's like "learning to ride a bike" turns out to be true when I get my mtb :S

Â