Throw Ins

mikeyp102

I've never really understood why fullbacks always take throw ins when in the final third.

If I was the manager, I'd give the throw in to someone with the ability to cross the ball, so he could make a simple one-two with a fellow player, before getting the ball into the box. It makes perfect sense, because the thrower is unmarked, and already facing the goal.

Yeah, been saying this for a long time. But fear not, it isn't just villa. Many, many teams struggle with them. It really is quite odd. I think it's more in the throwing of the ball than receiving it, though, as being able to proper lob it will remove the threat of the receiving player at close range being closed down and losing the ball. It wasn't Bobby Robson's pet hate for nothing.

We've been crap at throw ins ever since I started going to matches in 1987. As we were relegated the season before that I'd suggest we were probably crap at them then too.

Was just going to say something similar. This is one of those enduring puzzles that has survived several changes of manager, several complete turnovers of squad and, I assume , quite a lot of change in coaching staff. Yet through it all we have been crap at throw-ins. It really defies anaysis.

We've been crap at throw ins ever since I started going to matches in 1987. As we were relegated the season before that I'd suggest we were probably crap at them then too.

Was just going to say something similar. This is one of those enduring puzzles that has survived several changes of manager, several complete turnovers of squad and, I assume , quite a lot of change in coaching staff. Yet through it all we have been crap at throw-ins. It really defies anaysis.

same with corners as well and conceding late goals. maybe the club is just jinxed

same with corners as well and conceding late goals. maybe the club is just jinxed

Think its more to do with the fact that the team is pretty poor and has been for as long as I can remember. Even under the O'neill days (cant really remember the Little days) we struggled to get the basics right and were light-years behind the top teams. If you think back to games like the carling cup final where we arent beaten by much in terms of score line by United, the actual majority of the performance (bar Milner) was poor but difficult to beat (credit where its due). Lots of wasted crosses, mis placed passes, clueless attacks and of course wasteful throw ins.

The vast majority of pro footballers seem unable to clear the first man on corners more often than not. Especially the England National side. That is an absolute disgrace when you think about it. It really is acase of players not being as good as perhaps they are portrayed to be.

We must be on the worst teams in the league at keeping possession from them.. We take far too long over them, have little to no movement and then throw it in the most awkward position for the receiving player..

I've thought this for a few years.

Â