Throw Ins

mikeyp102

When Bent came on he was the one going over to try win the header, along with Bowery/Weimann when they were on. Benteke was in the middle the entire time, he must have been told to do this by Lambert but I just dont understand it at all. He is the target man and the best at keeping the ball why isn't he the one we use to keep possession from the throws? Was doing my head in.

There's always 1 unmarked player from any throw in: The thrower.

All you need to do is get into a position between the defender and the thrower, receive the throw to feet and pass it straight back to them - thus utilising the extra man and retaining possession.

They teach this stuff at Under 8 level. Why can't we do it?

I've noticed that we are slow at taking the throw in, not looking for the quick pass when no one is marked but I also noticed that we are very slow and loose when defending an opposition throw in. It's so frustrating that we make it so easy for the opposition to keep possession from these. Pure laziness IMO.

we've been saying this for the last 5 years -

there's 2 things going on here - you either need to take a quick(ish) throw to someone who is in space already or if a quick ones not on there needs to be a bit of movement to be able to find a player (even on the basic return to thrower routine there needs to be some movement). 

Here-in lies the problem we are so poor in general at being in space eg. to receive a pass (some players think jogging 2/3 yards away from -usually behind- the opposition is in space!?) and we are shocking (well most players) in having any idea how to have movement to make yourself available for receiving the ball.  To be fair a this movement doesn't just help when we have the ball it helps when you haven't eg if your moving you haven't got to accelerate from static to get to the ball/man (even if you not going in the same direction at least your not surprised that you have to move for something).

So why should we be any better when it comes to throw ins?

Loved when Milner threw it off the shoulder of one of the Chlesea players in the FA semi a couple of years back. Might have been Ivanovic or Alex - they didn't know what had hit them and Milner was off down the line. We just don't seem to have that assertiveness in the team at the moment.

Loved when Milner threw it off the shoulder of one of the Chlesea players in the FA semi a couple of years back. Might have been Ivanovic or Alex - they didn't know what had hit them and Milner was off down the line. We just don't seem to have that assertiveness in the team at the moment.

It was pretty pointless in that team as well because havin beat the man there was obviously nobody in the box for Jimmy to cross to.

I actually think it would be more usedul to us if when it goes out for a throw to us - the opposition automatically gets a goal kick. At least then, their inevitable possesion is as far down the field as possible. Really frustrates me of how pathetic we are with stuff like this. 

Â