• Delph
    • Benteke
    • Bowery
    • Weimann
    • Bent (for Bowery 63)
    • Dawkins (for Weimann 64)
    • Sylla (for N'Zogbia 85)

ibzAdYdrHgZekQ.gif

Don't want to take anything away from Charlie buy the keepers positioning is terrible there.

Massive win but can't help but think we're going to pay for the results against Wigan and Southampton.

He certainly isn't. That corner is the walls corner. Had he stood longer to his left he'äd open up a too big space to his right and it would've been a lot easier to score in the far corner. The thing is that it's an excellent freekick. It dips behind the wall so the keeper sees it late. Thomas Hässler was a master of that kind of freekicks.

Edited by Pelle

All I can say is it was great to leave VP talking about a win for once. Yes we rode our luck at times but lets be honest we have had next to no luck in far too many games.

Big Sam's comments made me smile though. I'm not sure he was watching the same game as the rest of us. Apparently WHU dominated the first half? That presumably was the  half where I don't recall seeing them have a single shot.

The simple fact in the second half was that we defended well and took our chances, WHU did precisely the opposite. I also think that we were slightly unlucky not to get a second penalty when Dawkins was brought down. For me at least it looked more like a penalty than the first.

Midfield is still an issue for us though, too many sideways and backwards passes for my liking which invites pressure although Delph (pausing to eat my previous words) does look like the player we thought we had signed. MotM for me by some distance.

Also a special mention for Bowery, a good attitude and worked very hard which tied down their defenders.

Edited by Harry

Thing is you go a goal down, it's a long way back for this team

I can sort of see where you are coming from and it was an important clearance. But by the same margin, Clarks (from the two crosses when strikers were waiting right behind him) were equally as important because we would have gone a goal down then as well. Especially the one in the first half when Joe Cole was poised from about 4 yards.

I think Bents is just exaggerated because it was his first touch. When at the end of the day, there is no suggesting Weimann/Bowery wouldn't have been there had they not been subbed.

Darren Bent did his job for the team, no more. He should be applauded. But it doesnt deserve special mention imo.

ibzAdYdrHgZekQ.gif

Don't want to take anything away from Charlie buy the keepers positioning is terrible there.

Massive win but can't help but think we're going to pay for the results against Wigan and Southampton.

I don't think it is.

The fact he didn't dive is terrible as I reckon he'd have had a good chance to get there. but that's pretty textbook positioning. You cover the side of the goal that's not protected by the wall, especially as he takes a step to his left before CNZ takes it.

I wasn't, it's just that if we'd conceded that goal we'd be going crazy about the wall not doing it's job. Just an observation.

I would think, seeing as no-one jumped, that the wall must have been instructed specifically to not jump. So not really sure you can blame them. It's not like it went through them.

For me, it's just a brilliant free-kick, simple and effective, N'Zogbia hit it extremely sweetly.

Edited - But only me and PieFaceE know why...unless you look at the posts under this one.

Edited by 8pints

I wasn't, it's just that if we'd conceded that goal we'd be going crazy about the wall not doing it's job. Just an observation.

I would think, seeing as no-one jumped, that the wall must have been instructed specifically to not jump. So not really sure you can blame them. It's not like it went through them.

Well I can only imagine they thought that Vlaar would drill it low. 

For me, it's just a brilliant penalty, simple and effective, N'Zogbia hit it extremely sweetly.

How many pints you had? He scored a free kick :P

• Like 1

Well I can only imagine they thought that Vlaar would drill it low. 

>For me, it's just a brilliant penalty, simple and effective, N'Zogbia hit it extremely sweetly.

How many pints you had? He scored a free kick :P

Haha, sorry about that.

I can sort of see where you are coming from and it was an important clearance. But by the same margin, Clarks (from the two crosses when strikers were waiting right behind him) were equally as important because we would have gone a goal down then as well. Especially the one in the first half when Joe Cole was poised from about 4 yards.

I think Bents is just exaggerated because it was his first touch. When at the end of the day, there is no suggesting Weimann/Bowery wouldn't have been there had they not been subbed.

Darren Bent did his job for the team, no more. He should be applauded. But it doesnt deserve special mention imo.

Well you are strange aren't you. It was a lethal clearance at a very, very vital time in the match. Clark's job is to win headers when he is positioning himself in the box, Bent was just lucky to be exactly where he was because Guzan had no chance at that shot going into the corner. So yes, the block was worthy of a very special mention. Not a big, big moment in my lifetime as a Villa-fan, but just that luck we needed to have in this game. A few minutes later we score two goals and win the game, instead of chasing the game at 0-1. If you cannot see a difference between Clark and Bent then you are just arguing for the sake of it :P

And a special thanks to Carlton Cole who decides to shut his eyes and bow his head in the wall. If he just looked at the shot he could have easily blocked it, but I guess he was scared Nasri-style.

Well you are strange aren't you. It was a lethal clearance at a very, very vital time in the match. Clark's job is to win headers when he is positioning himself in the box, Bent was just lucky to be exactly where he was because Guzan had no chance at that shot going into the corner. So yes, the block was worthy of a very special mention. Not a big, big moment in my lifetime as a Villa-fan, but just that luck we needed to have in this game. A few minutes later we score two goals and win the game, instead of chasing the game at 0-1. If you cannot see a difference between Clark and Bent then you are just arguing for the sake of it :P

And a special thanks to Carlton Cole who decides to shut his eyes and bow his head in the wall. If he just looked at the shot he could have easily blocked it, but I guess he was scared Nasri-style.

Eh how am I strange?

Neither of Clarks clearances that I am referring to were headers and I have no doubt Joe Cole would have scored had Clark not been in the right place and made the stretch.

For me the Clark clearances were just as impressive. I actually think they were more difficult but as they were NOT as clear cut chances as the Bent clearance, hence why I have put them as equal.

ibzAdYdrHgZekQ.gif

I don't think it is.

The fact he didn't dive is terrible as I reckon he'd have had a good chance to get there. but that's pretty textbook positioning. You cover the side of the goal that's not protected by the wall, especially as he takes a step to his left before CNZ takes it.

It's really not great positioning, he should of been a step to his left. It's not the best free kick, not even in the corner and I'd expect most keepers to save that. Like someone said, if we'd of conceded that then you'd be fuming.

ibzAdYdrHgZekQ.gif

Westwood's' contribution vital here.

That little roll he does around the back of the wall? Thus hampering their ability to jump.

I've never seen that before, ever. Very clever, though probably should have been picked up by the ref. For once, it's a relief he's **** useless.

Edit - The player I'm looking at is Baker. I see what you mean about Westwood!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

ibzAdYdrHgZekQ.gif

Westwood's' contribution vital here.

That little roll he does around the back of the wall? Thus hampering their ability to jump.

I've never seen that before, ever. Very clever, though probably should have been picked up by the ref. For once, it's a relief he's **** useless.

Edit - The player I'm looking at is Baker. I see what you mean about Westwood!

Yeah I was being silly but you make a very good point about Baker I hadn't noticed before. I'll take credit for being the inspiration for it  :)

Â