Micheal Chopra's big bag of cash

VILLAMARV

Just seen this on the BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-21353178

To anyone who's not followed this story - when he left Cardiff for Ipswich he revealed he had a gambling problem and Ipswich alledgedly loaned him £250,000 to settle debts with some nastys. Last year he was implicated in a horse race betting scandal and subsequently banned along with others for corruption. He claimed not to have the £50,000 for legal fees from the enquiry. 

Well actually, it's the perfect environment for a gambling addict. In the game, the rewards are high and therefore you're capable of betting huge amounts, the bigger the amount the bigger the buzz, I would have thought. 

Posting that picture probably ranks quite low on his list of good ideas. 

Very risky for a club to employ a gambling addict, not only for the effect on their personal life and therefore affect their performance, but remembering that they can bet on things they... have influence over..

Well actually, it's the perfect environment for a gambling addict. In the game, the rewards are high and therefore you're capable of betting huge amounts, the bigger the amount the bigger the buzz, I would have thought. 

I guess that is one way of looking at it. I very rarely have a flutter but the "buzz" for me is kind of by sticking £5 (which is nothing) and turning it into say £50 or £60 (on something like next goalscorer) which would be a free night out for example.

If you've got £100,000's in the bank win or lose it really doesn't make much difference..... unless you lose loads then you really have f&^ked up.

If we won £20,000 at the bookies we'd be dancing around the streets for a week. In the time we were dancing, he could just earn that money by going to work. 

I suppose the buzz on the money you win becomes relative to your earnings, and when your wages take a huge beating by slipping down the leagues, you need to really control the amount you put down as a stake. I've never been a multimillionaire so I'll never sympathise but I guess there's a certain mentality there which must be difficult to control as it happens so often.

• Like 1

If we won £20,000 at the bookies we'd be dancing around the streets for a week. In the time we were dancing, he could just earn that money by going to work. 

I suppose the buzz on the money you win becomes relative to your earnings, and when your wages take a huge beating by slipping down the leagues, you need to really control the amount you put down as a stake. I've never been a multimillionaire so I'll never sympathise but I guess there's a certain mentality there which must be difficult to control as it happens so often.

logarithmic utility...

Must be awful to be addicted to gambling. Strange with such a high paid job.

There was a great story going around about Bill Gates playing poker in Las Vegas on the $10 tables. Somebody asked why the richest man in the world was playing on the low stakes tables, to which he replied that when you have $60,000,000,000 in the bank it doesn't really matter what table you play on for all the difference it is going to make.  **** all to do with Chopra of course, but it is a story I like. 

• Like 2

logarithmic utility...

Indeed, although 'word removed' is probably a better way to describe his functional form.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Must be awful to be addicted to gambling. Strange with such a high paid job.

There was a great story going around about Bill Gates playing poker in Las Vegas on the $10 tables. Somebody asked why the richest man in the world was playing on the low stakes tables, to which he replied that when you have $60,000,000,000 in the bank it doesn't really matter what table you play on for all the difference it is going to make.  **** all to do with Chopra of course, but it is a story I like. 

I like that :)

But I guess that's the difference between someone who likes the odd bit of harmless gambling, and an addict.

Bill Gates would play poker becaus ehe likes playing poker. Whereas Chopra woudl gamble for other reasons.

Much like i'll play poker with my friends but the fun for me is in winning, not in the money that comes with it (which isn't very much most of the time!)

Â